'Chute vs. Streamer... Specifically a Loc Lil' Nuke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So... I've got myself a Lil' Nuke, and I love lofting it on a G, but I hate the possibility of losing it... Has anyone ever tried putting a streamer on it? I've got the calculations for figuring out how big a streamer to use, but I'm wondering if it's been done and how it turned out.
As a more general question, what are the pros and cons of using streamers? I imagine they're easier to spot in the high sky, but then again, I've never used one before. Thoughts and experiences are welcome.

So... I've got myself a Lil' Nuke, and I love lofting it on a G, but I hate the possibility of losing it... Has anyone ever tried putting a streamer on it? I've got the calculations for figuring out how big a streamer to use, but I'm wondering if it's been done and how it turned out.
As a more general question, what are the pros and cons of using streamers? I imagine they're easier to spot in the high sky, but then again, I've never used one before. Thoughts and experiences are welcome.

what it's landing on is a big factor. Runway at bong or soft bean field. My advise, save the few dollars and start a "tracker fund" then, you will have no fears with whatever motor fits in it and you will size the chute based on the overall weight. 20 fps is a good starting point.

I've always used a smaller chute than the one that came with it. I land in the grass or bean field where I fly and haven't had a problem yet. I've also had it free fall from around 2000' when the shock cord snapped. Picked it up, wiped the mud off it and flew it again that day. As far as the streamer idea goes, my buddy put a 36" streamer on his nuke pro max (same diameter but 14" taller and 6.3 oz heavier) and it got "stuck in the sky" so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I've had my Lil'Nuke for a number of years now. Mine is a tad heavy weighing in at just over 16oz. loaded with an AT RMS G64. This little guy is a hoot! I mostly launch it out in a large desert dry lake bed. With the stock parachute recovery system, it comes down pretty quick. It doesn't really drift too much.

Jerome :)

Back