OROC - Desert Heat, August 22-24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
Brothers, OR August 22-24 (this weekend!). Research on Friday, commercial Saturday/Sunday.
8:00 AM-6:00 PM Friday and Saturday, 8:00 AM-2:00 PM Sunday or whenever we're finished.
Standing waiver 20,500' AGL, with windows 42,280' AGL.
Bay Area Rocketry will be there as a vendor.
No sparky motors due to fire risk.
Weather forecast calls for high 70s during the day, and mid 40s at night. Bring sun protection and warm clothes for at night.
Volunteer here!

www.oregonrocketry.com for more info.

Who is going and what are you flying? I'm thinking about heading out there Thursday night depending on who else will be there early.
Bringing a K, and L (off the hill), and an moonburner M to fly.

I'll be there. Probably leaving town around 1pm on Friday.
I hope to have my new head-end deployment setup complete by this weekend. I'm going to drag out the lower portion of my old Binder CertiFire rocket to test it out. If all goes well, I'll most likely fly another Loki I110 Moonburner in it.

Ryan is coming and will fly his Binder Sentinel. Don't know which motor he wants to use, but most likely a decent size J or small K motor.

And who knows what else I'll throw in to bring along....

I'll be there. Probably leaving town around 1pm on Friday.
I hope to have my new head-end deployment setup complete by this weekend. I'm going to drag out the lower portion of my old Binder CertiFire rocket to test it out. If all goes well, I'll most likely fly another Loki I110 Moonburner in it.

Ryan is coming and will fly his Binder Sentinel. Don't know which motor he wants to use, but most likely a decent size J or small K motor.

And who knows what else I'll throw in to bring along....

Sweet! Ryan dragging you out there, eh? ;)
How does the head-end deployment system work? I wonder if it's similar to what I'll be testing out in my 75mm rocket this weekend.

Sweet! Ryan dragging you out there, eh? ;)
How does the head-end deployment system work? I wonder if it's similar to what I'll be testing out in my 75mm rocket this weekend.

Yes to both.
For me H.E.D. means that the electronics are in the nosecone. I'm going to just do an apogee charge for now but eventually I'm going to move to using a cable cutter to deploy the main at a lower altitude.

Yes to both.
For me H.E.D. means that the electronics are in the nosecone. I'm going to just do an apogee charge for now but eventually I'm going to move to using a cable cutter to deploy the main at a lower altitude.

Almost identical to the design I'll be testing this weekend. Electronics in the nosecone with a Tender Descender (from Cameron) used in a line-cutter fashion to deploy the main. I've been doing some static tests and have been happy with the layout so far. I just need to make sure my ematch wires won't get pulled loose on drogue(less) descent.

Almost identical to the design I'll be testing this weekend. Electronics in the nosecone with a Tender Descender (from Cameron) used in a line-cutter fashion to deploy the main. I've been doing some static tests and have been happy with the layout so far. I just need to make sure my ematch wires won't get pulled loose on drogue(less) descent.

You're working with fiberglass, I'm working with plastic and cardboard...

I am most probably leaving mid afternoon on thursday to get there early friday. I am bring the weed whacker and will start to attack the grass and sage whilst people are doing setup.
Wilson, if you can get to Molalla after work, I can put off leaving until then, if you wish.

What am i flying?? Rockets!

I am most probably leaving mid afternoon on thursday to get there early friday. I am bring the weed whacker and will start to attack the grass and sage whilst people are doing setup.
Wilson, if you can get to Molalla after work, I can put off leaving until then, if you wish.

What am i flying?? Rockets!
Sounds great! I am bringing a shovel or two as well. Will keep you posted as to my itinerary...

I thought Desert Heat was in Tucson ?
I think lots of "Desert Heat" is happening all over the country right now!

But the principle is still the same!

Yep. I'm up against the clock getting this nosecone bay complete. I mounted the altimeter and battery on a small sled I stole from the Tomach and took apart an unused ebay for the all thread. All that's left to do is mount a switch (once I determine how I'm going to activate it) and then mount the charge well on the bulkhead.

I've had some problem with epoxying the bulkhead into the nosecone, but I think I've got that all handled now.

I also picked up a few 6" couplers from Binder Design to line the booster section of the Sentinel. Two of them stack nicely on top of the forward motor mount centering ring and meet up with the ebay coupler. It was a very easy retrofit that I think will add quite a bit of strength and durability to this rocket.

Yep. I'm up against the clock getting this nosecone bay complete. I mounted the altimeter and battery on a small sled I stole from the Tomach and took apart an unused ebay for the all thread. All that's left to do is mount a switch (once I determine how I'm going to activate it) and then mount the charge well on the bulkhead.

I've had some problem with epoxying the bulkhead into the nosecone, but I think I've got that all handled now.

I also picked up a few 6" couplers from Binder Design to line the booster section of the Sentinel. Two of them stack nicely on top of the forward motor mount centering ring and meet up with the ebay coupler. It was a very easy retrofit that I think will add quite a bit of strength and durability to this rocket.
I know the feeling! I'm a bit tight on time as well since I'm waiting on a Slimline retainer for my rocket, which should hopefully be here soon. I'd like to compare our nosecone altimeter bay designs in Brothers - I'm not using all-thread, rather just L-brackets mounted to the nosecone bulkhead. What type of switch are you using?

That's a neat idea for the Sentinel. I was thinking about flying a K700W or maybe a baby L in my NXRS RTV, but after shredding my Excel on the K375NW I'm having second thoughts. But if I were to line it with those couplers, maybe...

Flight integration for this weekend has begun! I'll be bringing the following rockets/motors to fly:

Binder Galaxy - CTI K445
Code Blue - M650W
Currently unnamed 75mm rocket - L1150R

Big thanks to Bay Area Rocketry for vending at our launches and stocking large reloads - makes a huge difference - plus no shipping and HAZMAT fees!

Still putting the finishing touches on my new rocket, but it'll be ready. Just no paint yet...

My son and I had a total four flights this past weekend. My goal for the weekend was to test out my own version of a Head End Deployment system. I had taken a standard Binder Design 4" nosecone and fitted it with a HiAlt45K altimeter. I'm pretty please to say that it worked perfectly on all three test flights.

I flew all of these of those test flights on Loki Research motors. Good grief those motors are fun to fly.

Flight 1:
Rocket - Binder Design Certifire
Motor - Loki Research H-144-Loki White
Altitude - 1,386

Flight 2:
Motor - Loki Research I-110-Moonburner
Altitude - 2,980

Flight 3:
Motor - Loki Research I-405-Loki White
Altitude - 3,120

Flight 4:
Rocket - Binder Design Sentinel
Motor - Aerotech K-695-Redline
Altitude - 6,635
Eggtimer data:
ASL Alt.: 4291
Apogee:6635 T@Apogee:16800
Max Velocity:842 T@ Max Velocity:2600
Avg Accel @ MaxV: 323.85 G: 10.06
Altitude Burn Timer:1010 T@ Burn Timer:2050
Alt Unlock:6631 T @ Unlock:17300
Altitude Nose-Over:6627 T@ Nose-Over:17800
Altitude CHB Trigger:6627 T@ CHB Trigger:17800
Main Trigger Altitude:792 T@ Main Trigger:119800

The only low point of this weekend is when I was unable to use my Eggfinder. It worked perfectly at the previous launch, but when I set it up for our flight on Saturday the RX was not receiving any packets. I'll see what I can do to revive this device. I've really come to depend on it and it was sorely missed (exp on the 6,635ft flight).

The weather was great and the company was greater!

WOW... another excellent weekend in the Sage!

I got in 3 flights. All were in my ARR Basic Blues 3 (my L2 rocket). First was Kosdon J520F to 3500ish ft, 2nd was CTi K360 to 7,600ish and 1350mph (Broke Mach Cherry), 3rd was on a CTi L265MY (first L), to 15304ft (first time past 10K, 1st time past 2 miles) and 1500ft/sec (Mach 1.3ish, fastest flight so far)

To say that I find the people there to be interesting, warm, friendly and helpful would be a gross understatement.

Sheriden next!

I'm typing up my full launch report as we speak, but wanted to get this posted now...

Flew 3 rockets last weekend - 1 on each day which was a nice way to spread everything out over the weekend.

Friday evening I flew my Binder Galaxy on a CTI K445 to 7200', which is the highest I've ever flown that rocket.
First up Saturday morning was Code Blue on an M650W, 9 second burn to 16,600', a new personal altitude record for me. Recovery was 1.5 miles away on the far ridge south of the flightline (behind the homestead hill) - and of course a mile from the closest road...lot of time walking in the sage.
Sunday morning was a first of many things for me - my first homestead hill launch, my first minimum diameter flight, and my first attempt at dual deployment out of a single airframe. This rocket, "To be named later" flew on an L1150R to 15,500'. Items #1 and #2 worked perfectly, item #3 was less than optimal...

Many thanks to Jeremy/Junkyard for helping with the recovery efforts on Code Blue, and Rob/Salvage-1 for the homestead hill support on Sunday!
More to come...

Gary (known here as jackman) took a couple videos over the weekend.
Here is my Binder Certifire on the Loki Resarch I110-Moonburner. Gotta love that long burn.
[video=youtube_share;06Bo974FW0c]https://youtu.be/06Bo974FW0c[/video]

And here is Ryan's Binder Sentinel on an AT K695R. Awesome red flame.
[video=youtube_share;CIFyyrlFDW4]https://youtu.be/CIFyyrlFDW4[/video]

(Copied from our local email lists.)

Another great weekend in the sage! Here is a link to my full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104803117932114302187/DesertHeat2014?authkey=Gv1sRgCIr86a2aoqvZAw

I was originally hoping to join the Gary, David, and David contingent in Brothers Thursday night, but by the time I was ready to hit the road it was pretty late at night so I bagged those plans. So I left Portland at 5:30 on Friday morning, which was early. Made a breakfast stop before heading over the pass, only having to pull over in Warm Springs to take a short nap. Pulled into the launch site at 10:30 and was only the 4th person to arrive, which surprised me. It was great to see David Holloway out there again! Got camp set up and finished prepping a few rockets with more people arriving as the day progressed.

On Friday evening I flew my Binder Galaxy on a CTI K445 Classic, a motor I had bought off one of the PSAS guys.
This was the first CTI motor I had ever flown and it performed well, taking the Galaxy to 7200’ which is the highest I’ve ever flown that rocket. Easy visual recovery 50 feet from the “shack” – I walked right to it without GPS. Had dinner and enjoyed a nice night around the fire that evening.

First up Saturday morning was Code Blue on an M650W. This moonburner reload goes in the 75/6400 case and was my biggest motor to date! Gluing the grains end-to-end in the liner the day before was a bit finicky, but hey, it worked. Of course, the mandrel I brought was about 1/16” too big, so I had to do a bit of searching around for something else that would work. Loaded Code Blue up on the tower, waited for a lull, and went for it. The boost was a bit slow to start off, but she climbed beautifully and the 9 second burn took it to 16,600’, also a personal altitude record. Robert Braibish even said he could see the launch clear from the highway!

The BRB900 indicated I had a drogue out, which was good since of course I couldn’t see a darn thing. I kept getting packets throughout the descent, but still no visual. A little while later the receiver told me my main was good – as I looked up the coordinates I found out that I landed 1.5 miles south of the flightline. Jeremy and I hopped in the truck and drove for a bit only to discover that, of course, the rocket was a mile from the closest road. We hiked up that big ridge behind the homestead hill and Code Blue was resting right on top of it. Talk about a panoramic view!! With rocket sections in hand we descended back to the truck and returned to camp. Again, many thanks to Jeremy for helping with the recovery efforts!

Took a lunch break and did my LCO shift, after that it was time to start prepping my new rocket for its test flight on an L1150R. Until I come up with a name I’ve been referring to it as “To be named later,” at Chuck’s suggestion. ;) This is my BALLS project of sorts – a 75mm minimum diameter bird with one of Mike Fisher’s aluminum fin cans and a Tender Descender to deploy the main. Just to be on the safe side, I moved my tower up the homestead hill and set up my launch controller there for Sunday morning. Rocket prep went well, as did dinner followed by another fun evening around the campfire.

Sunday morning came and it was time for my…first minimum diameter flight, first homestead hill launch, and first time using a “non-conventional” deployment system. Yeah, I was pretty nervous! Finished final rocket prep and Rob Appleton and I headed up to the hill. Got everything ready to go, snapped a few pictures, and retreated. Alan gave me my 5 count, I pushed the button…and waited…and waited… BOOM! The L1150R roared off the pad and took “To be named later” to 15,500’, which was higher than I was expecting.

I saw both the drogue charges deploy, but nothing after that so I can’t be certain as to what happened. According to a few eyewitnesses, I was coming in pretty fast since I opted to go drogueless. I was also told that my main chute appeared to have stripped when the Tender Descender went off at 800’. Upon recovery merely 50 yards from the old burn pit, that seemed to be the case. The airframe and fin can were unscathed, as was the nosecone. However, the 4’ Rocketman chute was not looking too great. My best theory as to what happened was that my drogue charges burned holes in the main chute, as they were located right below it. Furthermore, when the Tender Descender tried to deploy (what was left of) the main chute, it stripped because the rocket was coming in too fast.

Obviously I’ll need to rethink my deployment methods before I fly this guy again, but I have a few changes in mind already that primarily involve moving the location of my drogue charges, as well as actually adding a drogue. To be continued… And thanks to Stan Speegle et al for helping with the recovery efforts!

Got camp packed up and had lunch as Rob closed off the weekend with a CTI L265 Mellow Yellow in a 3” rocket to about 15K – sweet flight!! Took me a little while to get on the road since I also had to knock down my homestead hill equipment, but after that it was an easy drive home with a dinner stop along the way.

If anyone else saw what happened to the recovery of my homestead hill launch, I’d appreciate you getting in touch with me…
Special thanks to Rob Appleton for letting me crash in his trailer, Alan Hammond for RSOing/LCOing my Sunday flight off the hill, plus everyone else! Hope to see many of you at BALLS in a few weeks – can’t wait.

Back