super evil minion 2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Hello it's about finished but anyone want a build on a 4" tube fin rocket .I just wished I documented the building of the nose cone . It's a foam cone attached to a short section of airframe. Then two layers of 6oz glass . Fins are one inch above bottom of air frame . Fins are one calibre long .

Ok so I was thinking why have two of the about the same rocket . Difference is the nose cone and vinyl.
So I cut out and cleaned the motor tube and center ring assembly . And as of now dry fitted to the tube fin rocket.
I know I have a SIM of the rocket with the super evil minion nose on it . Will look for pictures of the first super evil minion and the new one . You will see the difference with the tube fins . The original flew on a AT I280 DM DMS.
This build will fly at mwp this year . Don't know what I will fly on yet .

Last edited:
I'm really interested! I also wish you documented the NC, I want to do something very similar to what you describe.

Always happy to see what the fertile minds of Tube Fin Maniacs cook up in the laboratories. LOL!

It takes a certain kind of rocketeer to appreciate the subtle beauty of a tube fin.

The nose cone is a 9" stack of foam with a 2" tall foam circle that fits inside of the shoulder ( straight section) of the nose cone . This on is 4" . With a 1/4 " wooden rod through the middle . Now on that four inch section you need to make od smaller so took off two layers of the cardboard . Then sand to shape and fill with wood filler . Fill all voids and make sure everything is straight and true . Then two layers of glass . The nose cone should be the same dia of the air frame . Then glue in a bulk head inside the nose cone . At this time you can carve out the foam that was inside the cone to add weight if needed . And have a actress hole in the bulkhead . I also add the attachment point here as well . Hope that I explained the nose cone , if not you can pm me for more information . The whole nose cone that 10" tall weighs about a half of a pound

IMAG0152.jpg finally got some to post . woohoo
3 7/8 dia air frame in two pieces 20.25 and 30" nosecone is 10" tall
will build it 54mm and adapt down to 38mm the bottom coupler will be screwed in so I can fly short . may do a av bay that's will be slid in and pinned midway on top frame

Last edited:
Nice!

4" tube is a civilized size for general rocketry. You can just reach down inside and do most anything that needs to be done, e.g. attach shock cord, etc.

Nice!

4" tube is a civilized size for general rocketry. You can just reach down inside and do most anything that needs to be done, e.g. attach shock cord, etc.
and yes plus there free any carpet store will have them . just have to look and get the right ones

With this disign and others goggle Larry brand . There all the same you can build from 18mm to 98mm . I think a 12-14" would be very cool .
Who knows I may do one for my L3 8" 6 + foot tall sono tube

For a good alternative nose cone build look up ace fugue shroud method www.ninfinger.org/.../US ROCKETS Al...ot of good scratch building information there

Last edited:
IMAG1955-1.jpg1408471399484_1.jpgIMAG1858.jpg2013-12-28-13-15-19--1791589292.jpegIMAG1769-1.jpgIMAG1490.jpg first picture is the original the second picture is the rocket that I build and use for super evil minion . the one with the kid is my son mason and he designed the first evil minion it 24mm and wanted me to build a bigger one . see the size difference on the tubes, first super evil minion had 18" fins . they should have been between 1 and 1.5 times the diameter . the 2.0 version has 4" fins . will post a picture of the super evil minion with the nose cone on . looks to be about 6lbs . the nose cone I built will go on and 3 fin tube fin 54mm

Last edited:
Back