The QCC Explorer is a giant pain in the arse.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSamurai

Reaction score
Maybe my big manly hands just can't keep from breaking these tiny little pieces of wood. Wow do you ever have to be careful and on top of that putting the intakes together is proving to be very difficult. I guess that's why it is a Level 4.

I'd agree...it shapes up as a really nice bird when complete.

FC

The three most important things for the QCC are as follows:

1. A fresh X-acto blade
2. Thin CA (and rubber gloves)
3. Patience

If you have these three things the build is, frankly, enjoyable. The intakes self-jig so nicely and is very forgiving - if you break something a little dab of CA and you're back in business. The decals are plentiful for sure - but again, take your time and work in sections and it isn't too bad (this from someone who typically has laughable detail work). The key, again, is a very sharp X-acto and a straightedge to cut out the decals as needed.

When you are done, you will be quite proud of your bird AND you'll get to enjoy the fantastic flights it provides on BP E9 motors. One of my absolute favorite LPR rocket designs.

Stick with it! It is worth the effort!

It was pretty ingenious how the intakes go together.

For me, the hardest part QCC Explorer was trying to fill all the little notch recesses after the intakes were assembled.
I wish the interlocking tabs were taller so you could sand them down and even with the outside surfaces.
There were many shallow recessed tab notches that still showed up after primer/filler and sanding.
You assemble the intakes with CA. Most fillers wouldn't "grab" in the CA glued areas.

I finally got some white Squadron Putty that adhered, sanded and filled the notches, seams and cracks.

I built mine with nothing more than Titebond II. The double glue method worked very well and the intakes are holding up well. I used spackeling putty on the intakes to fill the intakes but now that I have graduated to glazing putty, I think that would do the job quite nicely.

I tackled the intake headache buy doing an assembly line. I just did one step at a time down the line and the first one was ready for the next step by the time I finished the last one was ready for step 2. The result is certainly worth the effort. The wheels have been turning for number 2!

Also, if you build light enough, she flies beautifully on C6-3s...minimum wind cocking and low altitude. Perfect for demos / small fields.

I'm planning on building a downscale using card stock for the 'intakes'.

FC

I love the QCC, i broke a major fin during build up, i had to build another one from a balsa sheet. But now I love flying this rocket on an E Engine. So far I been taking it on D and E engines. Enjoy the flight !!!

:pop: Hows it going? I have one in my pile. Great rocket,keep on keeping on,dont let it get the best of you...:horse:

Keep at it, the result will make you quite happy, it's a great looking rocket once assembled. I opted not to decal mine, and swapped the nozzle for a boat tail. Can't wait to fly it, waiting for a new aerotech 24/40 to arrive.

IMGP4490.JPG

Honestly I broke another little tiny freakin tab and haven't touched it since. Gonna break it out again today and try to do the repairs and maybe modify my methods a little bit. It's been very frustrating.

Maybe my big manly hands just can't keep from breaking these tiny little pieces of wood. Wow do you ever have to be careful and on top of that putting the intakes together is proving to be very difficult. I guess that's why it is a Level 4.

I have a FilsKits Decim8 still in the package. I've had it going on 3 years now :p I take it out and look at it now and again and put it away. It's not so much there's a thousand tiny parts and pingpong balls there's what I want to do to it. It needs more than just put together according to the instructions, it needs modeled and molded, parts blended, Very Vorlon organic. It all runs through my head and all I can see is hours of sanding, filling, repeat.

*sigh*

Keep at it, the result will make you quite happy, it's a great looking rocket once assembled. I opted not to decal mine, and swapped the nozzle for a boat tail. Can't wait to fly it, waiting for a new aerotech 24/40 to arrive.

IMGP4490.JPG

I like the boat tail!

IMGP4490.JPG

Nice job on the build, to my eye the boat tail is OK. I prefer the motor bell, personally. Of course that is the whole fun of rockets - to each their own!

Without the decals it looks pretty plain. A lot of the detail is put into specific relief when you put decals on it. I am not saying that the decal scheme is awesome or anything but even just a little brushed on red paint on the intakes and sides of the strakes would really give it more depth and show off the structures you spent so much time creating.

That is just me, again to each their own! This is one of the more interesting builds that Estes has come out with - much more interesting than their 3/4FNC rockets that seem to dominate their lineup.

I built mine using mostly standard wood glue with the double glue method (I strongly dislike CA) and LOTS of Elmers wood filler. For me it is easier to leave the tabs short and fill them than trying to sand down the end grain of the balsa and then needing to fill the joints anyway.

With all the work required on the fins/intakes, why didn't they just slot the tube? It would have made for some incredibly strong fins, and made alignment much easier.

Still, with lots of patience, the finished product is well worth it, and the flights are superb.

I built mine using mostly standard wood glue with the double glue method (I strongly dislike CA) and LOTS of Elmers wood filler. For me it is easier to leave the tabs short and fill them than trying to sand down the end grain of the balsa and then needing to fill the joints anyway.

With all the work required on the fins/intakes, why didn't they just slot the tube? It would have made for some incredibly strong fins, and made alignment much easier.

Still, with lots of patience, the finished product is well worth it, and the flights are superb.

I sure hope so. It's definitely the longest build I have and that includes my L1.

I love my QCC! I built the intakes assembly line style which seemed to help speed up the process, by the time I had done one step 4 times, the first intake was set well enough for the next.

QCC_Complete1.jpg

Stay with it. I like long. Builds. I need to get out and do the maiden voyage on mine. Fun build.

It isn't the time that it takes that was frustrating, it was the delicacy of the balsa. I hadn't dealt with such small parts before and I ended up breaking some of the little pieces. Took me awhile to glue them into place but it finally worked.

I have two intakes done and I'm almost done with the third. Should be done with the intakes today and then hopefully smooth sailing from there.

Totally. Bought one three months ago, and so far I'm still working on filling and sanding the intakes. Highest Work/Dollar ration I've ever built. Totally loving it, but incredibly frustrating at times.

I would never have chosen this kit for myself. I'm not a fan of complicated builds, big or small. But my nephew bought it for me for my birthday, so I had to build it. I will admit, that finally getting it finished was very satisfying. And it is a great flier, especially on E9's.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?24475-Another-QCC-Explorer-build-thread

Now that I finished the intakes I am happy with where it is going. Definitely gonna be a fun rocket to watch. I don't necessarily mind many parts or complicated builds but the balsa kept breaking on me.

I lost the plastic nozzle, but this is one of my favorite rockets. Always flying it on a E9-6 is always impressive. I broke a fin in the process building so I had to take a balsa sheet and cut, no one can tell that it happend. and hey for 20.00 it totally worth it.

It flies well with 3 fins/intakes. Gives you flexibility if you really goon one up.

Now that I finished the intakes I am happy with where it is going. Definitely gonna be a fun rocket to watch. I don't necessarily mind many parts or complicated builds but the balsa kept breaking on me.

I broke a few of the smaller pieces. And cussed.

I lost the plastic nozzle, but this is one of my favorite rockets. Always flying it on a E9-6 is always impressive. I broke a fin in the process building so I had to take a balsa sheet and cut, no one can tell that it happend. and hey for 20.00 it totally worth it.

My plan is to go on an E9-6.

Back