Deja YouBee - A Rebuild Thread II - The Sequel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I rebuilt a three sections of my "YouBee" (upscale Break Away). See:

YouBee Build: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?10846-YouBee-Build
Deja YouBee - A Rebuild Thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?36421-Deja-YouBee-A-Rebuild-Thread

I used Blue Tube couplers, though the tubes are still cardboard. I was having problems with the layers of the cardboard in the couplers fraying over time making it harder to assemble the rocket. When you have five couplers in a 12-foot tall rocket, being able to easily align the sections and slide them together is important.

I think the Blue Tube couplers will stand up better. I also added stuffer tubes inside the couplers with u-bolts on the centering rings for attaching the shock cords. This eliminates the shock cord mounts I had inside the tubes. During a couple of flights, a shock cord would catch on one of the mounts causing problems. The new way of attaching the shock cords should help prevent that and the stuffer tubes will reduce the volume of the rocket a bit so, maybe, it won't require as large an ejection charge.

I installed the couplers in new sections of LOC body tubes which I cut just a little shorter than the existing tubes because the rocket was a bit too long to match the scale of the Odd'l Rockets Break Away. I reused the wooden rail button mount from the old blue section of tube, cutting it off the old tube and gluing it on the new tube. A well nut actually holds the rail button in place. I keep a six-foot section of rail in the garage so I was able to easily check that the rocket slides easily on the rail. It's better to check at home than discover a problem when you're at the launch pad. Finally, I painted the new sections and touched up the paint on the rest of the rocket.

And there she is!

For those keeping score, this is the third or fourth (depending on how you count) rebuild of the rocket and the fourth time I've painted most of it. (The rocket has flown three times.) All that remains of the original build is the nose cone and maybe some quick links.

In a couple of weeks, the YouBee will be on display at the Orlando Maker Faire. We're setting up a display to promote rocketry and our local clubs. In addition to the YouBee, we'll have one of Chris Mchielssen's 18" Break Away rockets on display as well as his tiny MicroMaxx downscale of the rocket.

I think I'll fly the YouBee next at Bunnell Blast in November. This time it'll go up on an L motor.

-- Roger

Back