The best actor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kehoes23

Reaction score
Since Scotty Dog started the worst actor thread I thought why not a best actor thread.
For me it's Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.

Tom Hanks has made some very good movies.

Anthony Hopkins but my wife and daughter are partial to Benedict Cumberbatch.

I think Matt Damon does fairly well in a variety of roles. I am also intrigued/impressed with Johnny Depp's breadth and his ability to transform himself from role to role.

Male - Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix are simply outstanding. Others that are very good are Emile Hirsch, Ben Kingsley, Forrest Whitaker, and David Morse. Some that are usually good are Tom Wilkinson, Denzel Washington, Ed Norton, Heath Ledger, Javier Bardem, Robert Duval, Tommy Lee Jones, Ian McKellan, Ethan Hawke, & Billy Bob Thornton. Four actors that I think don't often get the credit they deserve (due to the fact that they are such "pretty boys") are Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, George Clooney, and Ryan Gosling.

Female - Amy Adams, Judi Dench, and Michelle Williams are again outstanding. Others that are very good are Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet, Meryl Streep, and Viola Davis. Others that are often good are Julianne Moore, Vera Farmiga, and Cate Blanchette. Ones that I think don't often get the credit they deserve include Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johanssen, Keira Knightley, and Carrie Mulligan.

For a real treat see the movies "Doubt" - featuring four simply steller acting performances all together (Hoffman, Adams, Davis, and Streep), and "The Master" - again with a powerhouse lineup (Hoffman and Phoenix, also Adams).

s6

Male - Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix are simply outstanding. Others that are very good are Emile Hirsch, Ben Kingsley, Forrest Whitaker, and David Morse. Some that are usually good are Tom Wilkinson, Denzel Washington, Ed Norton, Heath Ledger, Javier Bardem, Robert Duval, Tommy Lee Jones, Ian McKellan, Ethan Hawke, & Billy Bob Thornton. Four actors that I think don't often get the credit they deserve (due to the fact that they are such "pretty boys") are Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, George Clooney, and Ryan Gosling.

Female - Amy Adams, Judi Dench, and Michelle Williams are again outstanding. Others that are very good are Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet, Meryl Streep, and Viola Davis. Others that are often good are Julianne Moore, Vera Farmiga, and Cate Blanchette. Ones that I think don't often get the credit they deserve include Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johanssen, Keira Knightley, and Carrie Mulligan.

For a real treat see the movies "Doubt" - featuring four simply steller acting performances all together (Hoffman, Adams, Davis, and Streep), and "The Master" - again with a powerhouse lineup (Hoffman and Phoenix, also Adams).

s6

Fabulous list (you probably watch more movies than I do).

With out a blink of an eye for female actress it would be Hilary Swank. She's an all in actress. If the script has the depth, her performances are astounding.
Male actors would be Philip Seymour Hoffman. From the lead role in Capote to the supporting role as as Brandt in the Big Lebowski he was a pleasure to watch on the screen.
Denzel Washington is a close second. The guy has range. My two favorite movies of his are The Great Debaters and Man on Fire.

More like best or favorite for me.
I liked James Cagney in the day.
In my younger years I was a big fan of the tough guy...Clint Eastwood.
James Earl Jones gets best voice.
Its a tough "Q"
So many actors and so many different types of movies. And when. I watched them from the 1950s to present.
I guess the same could be said for me thread "The worst".

This is a mix of favorite/good:

John Wayne
Clint Eastwood
Tom Hanks
Harrison Ford
Bruce Willis

I thought Tom Cruise was spectacular in "Vanilla Sky". I didn't really care so much for the movie but I thought he was off-the-charts excellent.

Greg

Humphrey Bogart tops my list.
Gary Oldman is always entertaining.
Not a real fan of Johnny Depp but he certainly has a wide repertoire as does Mickey Rourke.
I also like Jeff "I'm the Dude!" Bridges.

Top of my list is:

Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman & Judi Dench. I almost cried when they killed her in Sky Fall, funny thing is I was disgusted at first when they made her M, until I watched her be M, now there can be no other!

TA

Ronald Coleman and Orson Welles for men, Elisabeth Taylor and Sigourney Weaver for women.

Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan for the guys.

Judi Densch and Meryl Streep.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

This is a mix of favorite/good:

John Wayne
Clint Eastwood
Tom Hanks
Harrison Ford
Bruce Willis

I thought Tom Cruise was spectacular in "Vanilla Sky". I didn't really care so much for the movie but I thought he was off-the-charts excellent.

Greg

Harrison Ford: Hands down. Just watch Presumed Innocent and you will agree.

Lordy - thats a hard one

Al Pacino
Marlon Brando
Martin Sheen
Johnny Depp
Brad Pitt
Sean Penn
Billy Bob Thornton

Sigourney Weaver
Meryl Streep
Kate Winslett
Audrey Tautou

Plus just about anyone in almost any Cohen Bros, Kubrick or Coppola Movie.

Bruce Willis.....JOHNNY DEPP?? REALLY?! :eyepop:

There are so many to list. De Niro is mesmerisingly believable, natural and enjoyable in pretty much every role he's taken. Matthew Mcconaughey has really taken off and seems amazingly diverse across roles & genres. DiCaprio is great. Morgan Freeman. Brad Pitt although I have started to tire of him. That's just film, there are some great TV actors out there who we will see coming up in the next few years..

There are so many:

Tom Hanks
James Earl Jones
Malon Brando
Bryan Cranston
Dustin Hoffman
Meryl Streep

Spencer Tracey
George C. Scott
Tommy Lee Jones
Anthony Hopkins

I'm old.

I think all too often we like a film and therefore the actors in the movie get elevated in status when they shouldn't. A couple of actors who come to mind are Matt Damon and Johnny Depp . . . neither could act their way out of a paper bag.

Nobody has mentioned Christopher Walken and I understand why . . . he's been in so many crappy/weird movies. But for me, the moment he opens his mouth, I am listening for what comes out. Like Al Pacino, he delivers his lines with such skill that I just hang on his words.

Back