"Prankster burns self badly making rocket fuel"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like he was making a smoke bomb not rocket fuel... you need some horrible bad luck to mess up rcandy

What were the chemicals he was using that he uses to fix cell phones with? That being asked, I doubt he was making Rcandy, because he was cooking the same chemicals he uses to fix cell phones. Can you fix cell phones with the ingredients use to make Rcandy?
There are three mistakes he made by doing this.
1 he tried making this.
2 he was making it in the kitchen
3 he was (probably) using a gas stove to make it.
Being dumb hurts, thankfully no one else was hurt in the process.

Last edited:
What's even sadder is he prolly watched a U-tube video that had a 10 year old making it....
Sorry-I feel a rant coming on-I have to step outside and kick the tree for a bit.

What journalist decided to label him a "prankster"? Really? Who was he pranking?

I believe that Candy Motors are even more dangerous than APCP motors because you are basically mixing on a frying pan.

The sugar selected is directly related to the risk -- choose the wrong one, and the melting point and the ignition point are very close together. The sugar most readily available also happens to be the wrong one to choose.

There's a reason Tripoli only allows a few specific sugars to be used.

-Kevin

What journalist decided to label him a "prankster"? Really? Who was he pranking?

It is from the UK. That is probably just their way of Speaking. If he had been making Pipe Bombs and blown himself up, they'de have said:
"Ah, that silly Prankster!!"

OK, so I found and read the article. he was basically doing this so he could make a "bunch of white smoke," according to the Mirror article (Also the only article that calls him a prankster.) I'm going to link to the Eastern Daily Press article though, as it seems the most detailed of the three I found, plus explains the best just what happened:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/burns_...o_tried_to_make_rocket_fuel_at_home_1_3728326

OK, so I found and read the article. he was basically doing this so he could make a "bunch of white smoke," according to the Mirror article (Also the only article that calls him a prankster.) I'm going to link to the Eastern Daily Press article though, as it seems the most detailed of the three I found, plus explains the best just what happened:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/burns_...o_tried_to_make_rocket_fuel_at_home_1_3728326

There is lesson to be learned here and it's a big one SAFETY. This guy was cooking chemicals on his kitchen stove with no safety equipment on, he went as far as to not have a shirt on, it just boggles the mind, what was he thinking?

Ok, if you decided to copy what people are doing off the internet with no prior experience and not doing research of any kind, there is one simple thing you can do to avoid injury and it's a big one DONT DO IT. This is why they say "don't try this at home". But if you do decide to try it anyway then do your research and ask others who have years of experience and don't forget safety safety safety.

I like how he said "this is the most stupid thing I have ever done", I don't think so.....just the one he got caught at doing, or the one that left the biggest scar.

Last edited:
I like how he said "this is the most stupid thing I have ever done", I don't think so.....just the one he got caught at doing.

Very true. Who knows how many other stupider things he has done but just didn't get hurt doing them.

Any utube vids Ive seen, making Rcandy, did not implement the double boiler method.
Even a vid by the infamous Jimmy Yawn did not use the db safety process of melting.

Any utube vids Ive seen, making Rcandy, did not implement the double boiler method.
Even a vid by the infamous Jimmy Yawn did not use the db safety process of melting.

That's because a double boiler won't get sugar hot enough to melt. There is a fairly large "safety" margin with sugar temps from the melting point to the ignition point but he might have exceeded them...maybe.

...and what is, "caught on the hob..."? What's a "hob" in reference to a stove?

That's because a double boiler won't get sugar hot enough to melt. There is a fairly large "safety" margin with sugar temps from the melting point to the ignition point but he might have exceeded them...maybe.

...and what is, "caught on the hob..."? What's a "hob" in reference to a stove?

From Wikipedia: A cooktop is called a hob in modern British English.

In a kitchen the hob is a projection, shelf, grate or bench for holding food or utensils at the back or side of a hearth (fireplace) to keep them warm, or an internal chimney-corner. In modern British English usage, the word refers to a cooktop or hotplate, as distinguished from an oven.[1]

Nope, only Darwinism if he ended up dying, as he did not take himself out of the gene pool. For sure an idiot deserving of a sign though.

Plus he's already bred, story says he's got 2 kids...

DOOOOOOMMMM!!!!! (Enough O's and M's?)

From Wikipedia: A cooktop is called a hob in modern British English.

In a kitchen the hob is a projection, shelf, grate or bench for holding food or utensils at the back or side of a hearth (fireplace) to keep them warm, or an internal chimney-corner. In modern British English usage, the word refers to a cooktop or hotplate, as distinguished from an oven.[1]

You adjust the temperature by turning the hobnob.

From misstatements like this, is why, people can get hurt.

Very true, as I have seen a Video where a guy DOES use the Double Boiler Method using 10X Confectioners Sugar and makes Rcandy.
He is also wearing a Face Shield, and Leather Gauntlet Gloves, a Leather Apron, and Fire Resistant Clothing.
Sadly, I am not able to find that Video, nor would posting it here be in accordance with the Rules.

I blame YouTube for idiots like this, so much info on how to do things on there and not all of it is correct.

One of the people I subscribe to has a clear video on how to make RCandy, not sure if I am allow to post links or not, but I will err on the side of caution and not post the link. He also doesn't seem to be using/wearing any protective gear when making it or setting them off.

I try to make some Sugar motor last night, I forget to put the oxidizer but let me tell you , they taste dam good,

sugar_zpsf84cdbec.jpg

Back