DARS August HP launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfaBrewer

Reaction score
DARS will be hosting a HP launch next Saturday for all fliers in North Texas, and anyone from more distant locales who would like to join. Fliers of all levels are welcome, as well as spectators. There is always the possibility the launch will be scrubbed due to weather or burn bans, so check the website prior to heading out (www.dars.org).

The grass last month was a lovely shade of brown, so there will be no sparky motors allowed. Let me know if you need any additional info.

Launch Details:
Date:
Saturday, 8-23-2014
Time:
9 am setup, 10am – 5 pm Launch hours
Gunter High Power Field – directions are available here: www.dars.org/NAV-special.html
Altitude Limit:
1 mile AGL (5,280 ft above ground level)
Pads Available:
Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on launching a complex rocket or any K or larger motors)
Certification:
NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level - no exceptions.
Flight Prep:
All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.
Registration/Range Fees:
FREE Under 18 modroc/sport.
$5 Adult modroc/sport
$20 High-Power (not DARS member)
$10 High-Power DARS member
Bathroom Facilities:
A portable toilet facility will be on-site.
Food/Beverages:
Nearest food/gas/facilities are 4 miles northeast, back into Gunter. (It is best to bring your own)
Flight Cards:
to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field. https://www.dars.org/library.html

Last edited:
Well, I know of two L2 certification attempts, me being one of them, plus three more HP fliers and one sport flier. I think turn out will be fairly good for a 100 degree late August launch.

Had a good time at the DARS HP launch yesterday. Only ended up flying one HP model (own design 2.54" model on an H123), but also flew a G40, F25, D12 and a B motor in other stuff.

Had a great flight with my old MiG-21 BG on a D12-3.

Semi killed a very old NCR Patriot when the ejection failed on an older G40-4. It happened to impact in the pond and stick in the mud in water about 30" deep, with the last 18" of the tail end sticking up in the air above the surface of the pond....:) Fixable with some drying out, new tube for the forward bay and a new nose cone.

The MiG was a gorgeous flight. I don't know that I've ever seen as nice a glide.

I snapped a couple of pics of your Patriot, and my nephew retrieving it.

DSCN1580.jpg

DSCN1587.jpg

The MiG was a gorgeous flight. I don't know that I've ever seen as nice a glide.

Mad props to your nephew ! And he lent a hand at setup and tear down as well. AND he flew the cool plastic Mars Spaceliner on an 18mm composite motor !! Good show !!!

In deed an excellent launch, and no question who the launch MVP was. Poor Chuck, you successfully pull off your L2 and your nephew still upstages you.

Does anyone know if they ever found that Orange MD rocket with tube fins that flew on a G80? I know I was looking for one of my rockets when it launched and by the time I turned around to look, all that was left was a smoke trail.

In deed an excellent launch, and no question who the launch MVP was. Poor Chuck, you successfully pull off your L2 and your nephew still upstages you.

Yep, I organize the launch and get my L2, but the star is my nephew. Of course, anyone who wades out into a cattle tank to retrieve rockets is worth his weight in gold.

Does anyone know if they ever found that Orange MD rocket with tube fins that flew on a G80? I know I was looking for one of my rockets when it launched and by the time I turned around to look, all that was left was a smoke trail.

Yes, we found it after a very long walk. That rocket is my 10 yo son's rocket. There is a build thread out in the scratch build section. He wanted to have a Mach flight and fly higher than any of my flights. We simmed it at 0.9 Mach and 3652'. He was expecting the rocket to sustain damage. We retrieved it with zero damage. He got the height record, and he got at least close to Mach. It was a great day for him, and for me.

Willie

Please make sure he knows how much I appreciate him retrieving it! I was not prepared to wade out there that day.

Back