Who's flying a 6" Stinger?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two flights on mine, K675 Skid with a 54mm adapter to 3,100' & K1085 White Thunder to 3,900'
1.75 grams in the aft & 3.25 grams in the fore
I cut 1/4" off a 6" coupler to make a stop band in the nose & cut 3/4" off the main air frame to make a switch band
3" BP in nose with eye bolt double nutted on BP and into aluminum tip
Three 4-40 pins hold the nose on, dual Stratologgers, 24" Skyangle drogue, & 84" Fruity Chute main
All assembled with West Systems, except for the external fin fillets which are Proline
I think this is the type of info you were looking for, it's a great flier and will go up on an L1720 White Thunder next month

This is great information and exactly what I hoping to see. I chose a stratologger and a rrc3 for my redundant system, added a sphereachute drogue and 60" Recon main. I used RocketPoxy for internal and external fillets and foamed the fin can. Glad to see you came in close in weight, I was wondering if my tendency to overbuild was getting me into trouble (seeing how the sheet that came with it indicated 10 lbs built). Had some issues with getting everything to fit into to the donut avbay, ended up having to put a pem nut on one side of one of the battery boxes and tapped threads into the fiberglass sled for one side of the second battery box. No trouble fitting in the altimeters. Terminal blocks on the bulkheads. Magnetic switches. I'll post up once I fly it at Airfest.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

004.jpg
''

I see the problem. You need to finish the glass of wine before it becomes clear:wink:

Wayne,

Here's some more info on the Stinger, Like I said mine has a 98mm MM and 3/16" fins which is why it weighs 20lbs. That's loaded up with everything ready to fly BUT the motor. Just adjust your RS File to your kits weight. Also set your Cd to .46, after flying I adjust the Cd to net me what I got in the actual flight for altitude, that way you'll be even closer in predicting your next flight.

When calculating the my CP I use a ratio between RockSim and Barrowman, in doing so my calculations gave me a CP of 39.84" from the NC tip. Remember in short stubby rockets like the Stinger you only need a half caliper for a stable flight.

For my kit the CG is 32.75" from the Nose Cone tip.

Here's some real world results with both the motor's your thinking of flying, both btw are great loads.

CTI L910CS -2G 75mm - Alt 4414'

CTI L995RL - 3G 75mm - Alt 6586'

STINGER6L910CS_zps83db0fee.jpg

14543218841_9c4513d23d_o_zps9dd41a33.jpg

Thanks for the great response Gary, just what we were looking for. We have adjusted the Cd on Thrustcurve and will be doing ejection tests today. Less than a week before we leave for Airfest, the tension is mounting here.
Twelve rockets for a four day launch, think that's a bit much?

Back