Delta RCRG launch vids in slowmo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTellurian

In space no one can hear you fart
Reaction score
I have not started a thread before on TRF so lets see if the mods trust me yet. :smile:

This is a foam RC rocket glider I've been working on to perfect for the last decade. I think its there. These vids were shot at 210 f/s so the actual flight which is boring at that speed was cut though one landing has been included. Resolution at this speed is by default very small so I'll add a couple of pics by my buddy Sav.

[video=youtube_share;sQjpHZcFGiU]https://youtu.be/sQjpHZcFGiU[/video]
[video=youtube_share;BAkzshqOfvM]https://youtu.be/BAkzshqOfvM[/video]

Richard

Delta RC Takeoff 2014aug10.jpg

Delta RC floating in 2014aug10 small.jpg

This reminds me of the old 'Astron Triple Eagle' FF gliders I used to do a while back, with the main delta wing plus front canard setup. Hard to trim though.

Very nice! Looking forward to more information about this delta.

Ari.

Yep, a decade. Every time a new idea come along I had to try it, which is to say I think I've run out of ideas. :rolleyes: Its basically a thinned E 163 foil cut from expanded bead foam aka cheap eps house insulation. The wing is cut in 4 parts with the tips slightly oversized to provide a step that acts like a wing fence. The pylon extends back about 8" in the foam to provide strength. Only the motor is in the pylon, all electronics are buried in the bottom of the wing. The canard, or forward trim tab as one pundit opined, was a god send. Originally it was put on to remove some of the reflex from the elevons but I found it also made the boosts straight and nearly hands off. Without it you had to be hot on the sticks as it would pitch forward into the ground. Packing tape is the covering, although I've found a prizmatic adhesive gift wrap at the dollor store that would look really cool. :cyclops:

Weight is 290gm without motor so its easily light enough for D11P, E9P and chad staged combinations of those. Altitudes are in the 300' to 600 foot range and it will thermal in good conditions. Basically a fun sport RC glider that I think looks cool and is cheap to fly.

Richard

Last edited:
Back