Please enlighten me... Why do they call it BALLS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
LDRS I get (Large Dangerous Rocket Ships). NXRS I get (Nortwest Xtreme Rocket Show). But BALLS I don't get (other than having the huevos, cajones, or whatever desired reference you want to make, to throw large expensive projects into the air with the hopes of retrieving it intact later). Does BALLS stand for something that I haven't been able to find (and yes, I searched for it, but the "official page" link I find is "down").

Is that really what it stands for? I googled that, and got nothing relevant.

So, these events/displays collectively represent the scientific, cutting edge, sophisticated fringe of our hobby?

(and I hope you all know that I am being sarcastic here.....)

Last edited:
.. it just means you need balls to launch them.

I was present when the 'creation' of this event occurred.

As I recalled Tom Blazanin (SP?) was the originator.

"Fireballs" and various acronyms came later as a way to make the event more 'PC'.

The original BALLS, in 1991 had a K minimum motor limit. This was at the time when everyone stopped to watch a J. "Do you have the balls to fly a K?" Later the Big Ass Load Lifting Suckers moniker was added.

Back when these events began there was some tendency to give them outrageous names in order to torque Pat Miller, who was then the president of the NAR and at the time was very opposed to HPR. This is especially true of LDRS, which adopted verbatim a phrase that Miller used in reference to some early HPR activity.

So, these events/displays collectively represent the scientific, cutting edge, sophisticated fringe of our hobby?

This made me laugh out loud at work, guys. I enjoy threads like these... they teach me history and amuse at the same time!

BALLS was started by Steve Buck of High Sierra Rocketry, a dealer
The few years it was done by Aeropac it was Fireballs and the acronym came about then
Now it is just BALLS, Does not stand for anything.
TRA has a trademark on it. https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:19l9eh.4.1
For commercial motors there is a K minimum (or a realllllyyyy good reason to go smaller), any size research motor
This will be the 18th year I have been the launch director.

Mark

Last edited:
The real rocket scientists could have called it the Demented, Overbuilt Rocket Kit Shoot, but that would not be as manly as BALLS, which is the macho image we all desire.:rolleyes:

Oh please God, someone has GOT to use that for their launch. If we hadn't already named ours GRITS (Georgia Rockets In The Sky == Tifton, GA Feb 2015) I would have lobbied for this.

I hate to be a grammar cop, but I think the proper way to ask this question is, "Why do the call them BALLS??

Well, then, of course, you're asking a different question entirely!

.... or I could have said ....

"That's rather a personal question, sir!"
[video=youtube;8sljSf7KVlQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sljSf7KVlQ[/video]

Oh please God, someone has GOT to use that for their launch. If we hadn't already named ours GRITS (Georgia Rockets In The Sky == Tifton, GA Feb 2015) I would have lobbied for this.

Such vulgar terms when one makes the DORKS - BALLS connection. BALLS is a manly event, whereas DORKS would be more elephant or whale like. Rocket Science types are so naughty!:D

Yeah, you may have the Balls to launch a K in the 90's, but this is the 21st Century man. I got a dork in my pants and at DORKS my rocket is going to take me into space. That must be why they call the Astronaut Farmer movie a bit "dorky."

Last edited:
When I coined the name for our neighborhood rocketry club back in the 60's, I created an acronym that meant nothing. APRO Model Rocketry Club. APRO didn't have a meaning, I just liked the sound of it. LW was put to the test of creating a definition for APRO, and did so with defining it as, "Aeronautic Projects and Rockets Origination." Maybe BALLS doesn't have a true title unless you inherit the "Big Ass Load Lifting Suckers", but we all recognize BALLS as HAVING the NADS!

When I coined the name for our neighborhood rocketry club back in the 60's, I created an acronym that meant nothing. APRO Model Rocketry Club. APRO didn't have a meaning, I just liked the sound of it. LW was put to the test of creating a definition for APRO, and did so with defining it as, "Aeronautic Projects and Rockets Origination." Maybe BALLS doesn't have a true title unless you inherit the "Big Ass Load Lifting Suckers", but we all recognize BALLS as HAVING the NADS!
NADS=Not A Dork Science
NADS=Needs Advanced Degreed Scientists
NADS=New Aeromotive Display Site
NADS=Not Another Dork Society
NADS= National Atmospheric Disturbing Site
oh, the list is endless.......
Of course the yearly national launch would have to be....(wait for it).....GONADS......

This [video=youtube;3o9T6wWBGAg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9T6wWBGAg[/video] explains it clearly. (so I suppose I was right)

NADS=Not A Dork Science
NADS=Needs Advanced Degreed Scientists
NADS=New Aeromotive Display Site
NADS=Not Another Dork Society
NADS= National Atmospheric Disturbing Site
oh, the list is endless.......
Of course the yearly national launch would have to be....(wait for it).....GONADS......

Something was lost in the translation of the name of this hair removal product:

nads-range.gif

I can just picture Beavis and Butthead sitting around and saying "He he BALLS".

Latest posts

Back