McMaster Carr is sick!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouch

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of snap ring pliers yesterday around 2pm. I checked my emails this morning to find UPS will be dropping them off at my place today. I am used to waiting a bit to get rocket stuff, this instant gratification of theirs is going to spoil me. Crazy I say.

I ordered a pair of snap ring pliers yesterday around 2pm. I checked my emails this morning to find UPS will be dropping them off at my place today. I am used to waiting a bit to get rocket stuff, this instant gratification of theirs is going to spoil me. Crazy I say.

McMaster on the East coast is amazing. I get things next day as well, all the way up here in Albany.

Only thing that bugs me is they don't tell you what the shipping is till they bill you. Its usually never out of hand but I would still like to know before I hit buy. Still very fast, reliable and the prices are very reasonable.

TA

It's one of the things I really like about McMaster-Carr over other "industrial Everything" stores. My only regret is they do not have a way to hold orders until everything can be shipped at once. This can cause Shipping charge sticker shock but they try really hard to work with you on this.

Where I am in DC if I place an order before 2pm I'll have the item on my doorstep before 3pm the next day. Really nice when in a Hardware crisis LOL!

I'm in Chicago and McMaster has a 100% success rate with next day delivery for me. They're amazing. I've never even had anything out of stock! They always seem to have, well, everything.

Their website is hands down the best I have ever come across. It's incredibly intuitive and easy to find the item that you need. Look at their competitors (Grainger, namely).

From Mcmaster Carr..
I have gotten their email notifying of shipment after I received
the package the next morning after placing the order....

I try to be quick with shipping orders,,,
They're ridiculous..... lol

Teddy

Only thing that bugs me is they don't tell you what the shipping is till they bill you.
They charge the actual cost. No packing or handling charges. They don't have the cost until the order is packed, weighed, and entered into the UPS software.

I think MCMC is what the Acme company Wile E Coyote buys from was based on. You know - he drops his order in the mailbox and runs back to the door to find the delivery truck just left. I'm convinced that someday I will come home and find a box from them with an invoice note that says "we evaluated what you are flying this weekend and here is what you will need to repair it on Monday".

Truly a class act.

Only thing that bugs me is they don't tell you what the shipping is till they bill you. Its usually never out of hand but I would still like to know before I hit buy. Still very fast, reliable and the prices are very reasonable.

TA

My only complaint about them as well, although I never felt that what they wound up charging was excessive. Good company.

I never can bookmark items correctly. Get a catalog page most of the time instead. Otherwise, awesome.

That's the reason that all the facilities guys love them. If you need it for a job you are working on, You'll have it before your shift starts tomorrow. In real jam, they've sent a guy to the MCMC warehouse in Cleveland to pick it up but usually (99.99%) their regular shipping is plenty good enough.

I'm in Chicago and McMaster has a 100% success rate with next day delivery for me. They're amazing. I've never even had anything out of stock! They always seem to have, well, everything.

Carl, they are headquartered in the Chicago suburbs, right? No wonder you get stuff fast, or I do as I just live in the Milwaukee Suburbs.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

It still amazes me, I got home from playing hookie from work today and a pair of Knipex were waiting on me. Now once Scott packs and ships out my new 38/240 and 38/740 cases I will be set. Set I tell ya.

I love McMaster-Carr! I swear that I keep them in business (luckily through work and not my own pocket). Their searching is excellent but the one thing I wish the provided was data sheets. You can often find many of the items cheaper once you order one and find out what it actually is - but you can't beat the shipping and selection!

I have not ordered from them yet but I have started a wish list and a shopping cart on their web site. Good to hear they have great service.

Their website is the most perfect shopping site in existence. If you need something, you're about 4 clicks away from having it at your doorstep the next morning.

And the diagrams! They are so clear for being so small and only black and white. You know instantly what is being depicted.

I think MCMC is what the Acme company Wile E Coyote buys from was based on. You know - he drops his order in the mailbox and runs back to the door to find the delivery truck just left. I'm convinced that someday I will come home and find a box from them with an invoice note that says "we evaluated what you are flying this weekend and here is what you will need to repair it on Monday".

Truly a class act.

lol...lol...lol...
Now dats a good one.....
All too true tooo......

Teddy

Carl, they are headquartered in the Chicago suburbs, right? No wonder you get stuff fast, or I do as I just live in the Milwaukee Suburbs.

Mark Koelsch
Here's how they ship so fast.

McMaster-Carr has 5 regional warehouse locations around the US population centers: NJ, Chicago, Atlanta, Cleveland and Los Angeles. One reason why you get amazing delivery times via ground service is that at each warehouse they have trailers from various common carriers and they fill those trailers in the early evening which are then driven to various regional common carrier distribution centers for sorting and next day ground delivery.

For example, my company is located in Andover, MA 30 miles north of Boston. The NY/NJ warehouse is located in Robbinsville, NJ. If I place an order by ~6 pm, it is picked, packed and placed on a UPS tractor-trailer prepositioned at the MMC shipping dock and driven to the UPS New England Regional Distribution Center in Chelmsford, MA located 30 miles NW of Boston by ~3-4 AM (~ 270 miles, 4.5 hours driving time). It is resorted and placed in a local delivery truck and I typically receive it by ~1:15 PM the next afternoon.

Another reason why MMC is so good is that they proactively seek the opinion of their customers, good and bad, about their experiences. Each year in a two week period, MMC send a multi-person customer service team from each of the regional centers to 100 of their larger users. Each team on the road for 2 week, conducting morning or afternoon 4 hour interviews with their users. They came to PSI about 15 years ago and since I was averaging an order a day, I was on their list. They asked good questions, listened to our comments and actually enacted several suggestions.

IMO their website and their service is second to none, and they're nice folks on top of that. Before I place an order on line, I know if the item is in stock and where it is located. If it's not in NJ (which is rare) it's usually in Chicago, and they ask you if you need it quicker, as Chicago is a 2-day ground delivery (1-day is ~ 600 milers). Their prices are fair, not necessarily the lowest but close, and it takes little time to place the order, and I know I will get it the next day 99% of the time by ground, so they are cost effective as time is money. If you have a question, you can also call them and speak with a person (and get the shipping rate before you order), and if you don't like internet ordering you can place an order over the phone, quickly.

For general orders I've found over the years if MMC doesn't have it, you probably don't need it.

A very satisfied MMC customer.

Bob

Try living 10 miles from one of their locations. I only need to give them an hours notice and it is ready for me to pick up at Will Call!

I live 30 miles or so from their Robbinsville New Jersey facility..........
Blistering fast......

Teddy

Still gets me how fast they are. I have my Knipex's sitting out near the rest of my rocket crap. I walked by this morning, saw them and started to chuckle. The whole process makes me want to test them again. It's a crying shame they don't sell fishing stuff or motor cases. I am happy to see others have had the same experience.

Try living 10 miles from one of their locations. I only need to give them an hours notice and it is ready for me to pick up at Will Call!

THEY HAVE WILL CALL?

WHAT.

Ah, but it's 50 minutes (at least with current traffic). Not sure if that's worth it... Newegg is 5 minutes away so will call is Very Dangerous there.

THEY HAVE WILL CALL?

WHAT.

Ah, but it's 50 minutes (at least with current traffic). Not sure if that's worth it... Newegg is 5 minutes away so will call is Very Dangerous there.

Yes they do! It's nice when you need something in a pinch. Often times things there are much more economical than Lowe's or Home Depot as well!

Yes they do! It's nice when you need something in a pinch. Often times things there are much more economical than Lowe's or Home Depot as well!

I'm sure they are for things liike screws and bolts. You can buy 3 at Lowes for 3 dollars, or a box of 50 from McMaster for 6 dollars.

Been inside the distribution warehouse outside Trenton, NJ. Amazing.
Surprised to see workers hand pick orders. Expected everything automated.

Problem w/ tooling. I buy taps, inserts etc. Doesnt say who made it. Even if you call.
Broke several of same kind. No refund, nothing. Watch the china stuff.
I buy elsewhere for tooling.
But, if I need it now-MCMC

Latest posts

Back