McMaster Carr is sick!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the same snap ring pliers that started this thread at 6 PM last night...
At 6 AM this morning the tracking information says "Out For Delivery".....................

Dats gotta be the record................

Teddy

One of my "go to" vendors for supplies.

As a bonus for me, I REALLY like that you can get CAD files of some their hardware, so I can import them into my designs. Like the Phillips-head screws and the hex standoffs for the MAWD.

Av.Bay.II.Perspective.jpg

Greg

One of my "go to" vendors for supplies.

As a bonus for me, I REALLY like that you can get CAD files of some their hardware, so I can import them into my designs. Like the Phillips-head screws and the hex standoffs for the MAWD.

View attachment 184542

Greg

Wow,, That's really cool...
I never knew that....
That's a super cool image...

Teddy

I was in Chicago for a visit last year.........

Ordered some rivets & shear pins at 9 in the morning..... they were delivered at 2.30 the same day!!!!!!!!!! OMG.

I'll pile on too. They are my favorite candy store. Just ordered launch pad parts and ferrules - I half expect stuff from them to show up *before* I order it! No complaints here.

I ordered the same snap ring pliers that started this thread at 6 PM last night...
At 6 AM this morning the tracking information says "Out For Delivery".....................

Dats gotta be the record................

Teddy
That's the service I get by ground and I'm work in Andover, MA.

MMC loads UPS trailers and drives them to the UPS regional ground distribution centers each night. If your UPS center is within ~ 6 hour drive from the MMC warehouse (in this case NJ) you get your items delivered by ground overnight.......

That's why everyone who knows uses them.......

Bob

That's the service I get by ground and I'm work in Andover, MA.

MMC loads UPS trailers and drives them to the UPS regional ground distribution centers each night. If your UPS center is within ~ 6 hour drive from the MMC warehouse (in this case NJ) you get your items delivered by ground overnight.......

That's why everyone who knows uses them.......

Bob

Yep,,
100%..
Mine was a regular ground UPS shipment....
And isn't yours the McMaster Carr facility in Mass...
I'm not sure where but they have a place very near there...

I don't use UPS much when i ship because for small packages like I ship USPS is less expensive...
And to be honest,,, USPS has done fantastic by me....
Super transit times,,, really quick most often....

Teddy

Yep,,
100%..
Mine was a regular ground UPS shipment....
And isn't yours the McMaster Carr facility in Mass...
I'm not sure where but they have a place very near there...

I don't use UPS much when i ship because for small packages like I ship USPS is less expensive...
And to be honest,,, USPS has done fantastic by me....
Super transit times,,, really quick most often....

Teddy

No, same NJ warehouse! MMC drives a truck from the same NJ warehouse to the Chelmsford, MA UPS distribution center each night and I get the order delivered to my dock at ~1:15 PM by our daily UPS ground delivery. If the driver has a light Overnight schedule and we have an Overnight order, he will deliver all his UPS deliveries before 10:30 AM, but if we have an Overnight delivery and he has a lot more of them to deliver, he drops off the overnights before 10:30 and comes back at 1:15 and drops off the ground shipments.

Bob

THEY HAVE WILL CALL?

WHAT.

Ah, but it's 50 minutes (at least with current traffic). Not sure if that's worth it... Newegg is 5 minutes away so will call is Very Dangerous there.

It's like Santa's workshop. Since I'm in Atlanta, some of the academic labs get later-in-the-day delivery. A fine perk for being slightly overpriced.

No, same NJ warehouse! MMC drives a truck from the same NJ warehouse to the Chelmsford, MA UPS distribution center each night and I get the order delivered to my dock at ~1:15 PM by our daily UPS ground delivery. If the driver has a light Overnight schedule and we have an Overnight order, he will deliver all his UPS deliveries before 10:30 AM, but if we have an Overnight delivery and he has a lot more of them to deliver, he drops off the overnights before 10:30 and comes back at 1:15 and drops off the ground shipments.

Bob

Oh,,, Robbisville NJ.....
I thought they had a facility up by you...
That's some run up to Mass every night...

Just a hop, skip, and a jump, right... lol

Teddy

I personally don't appreciate the way they bill you!
I've ordered from them twice and probably won't give them my business anymore.
At check out they don't give me a total. All I've gotten is a subtotal meaning no shipping
charges were added.
I didn't find out the shipping charges until 2 weeks after I got the products by way of a letter
in the mail box. Surprise!!! Not happy with their charges, I should have made the purchase elsewhere,
it would have been cheaper after the shipping charges...

They do ship fast, no doubt.

JP

It's like Santa's workshop. Since I'm in Atlanta, some of the academic labs get later-in-the-day delivery. A fine perk for being slightly overpriced.
In the real world time is money. When you consider how easy it to place an order with then, it's a whole lot cheaper than most vendors.

I personally don't appreciate the way they bill you!
I've ordered from them twice and probably won't give them my business anymore.
At check out they don't give me a total. All I've gotten is a subtotal meaning no shipping
charges were added.
I didn't find out the shipping charges until 2 weeks after I got the products by way of a letter
in the mail box. Surprise!!! Not happy with their charges, I should have made the purchase elsewhere,
it would have been cheaper after the shipping charges...

They do ship fast, no doubt.

JP
Shipping cost are real, and they can be expensive if you don't think about what you order and how it has to be shipped. MMC shipping costs are no higher than their competition and many times less expensive. If you want to know the shipping costs before you order from MMC, then call them and order over the phone.

You should go the UPS, USPS, and FedEx Ground websites and see what shipping cost are, and what the size limitations are. You might be surprised. If your order is 1 10' launch rail which may have to be shipped by as freight, it's going to be expensive, and if you might find that the shipping charges would be the same if you ordered a dozen rails because there is a minimum weight charge, and the reason why it had to be shipped by freight is that it was longer than USPS, UPS, or FedEx will accept. I've shipped a half ton of equipment overseas by air freight for far less than I've paid to get 3 kg of liquid monopropellant shipped from China Lake to the East Coast because DOT regulations required me to use a two man exclusive explosives truck at a cost of more than $3.00 per mile! Now that's expensive!

Bob

I've shipped a half ton of equipment overseas by air freight for far less than I've paid to get 3 kg of liquid monopropellant shipped from China Lake to the East Coast because DOT regulations required me to use a two man exclusive explosives truck at a cost of more than $3.00 per mile! Now that's expensive!

Bob
I certainly wouldn't want to ship monopropellant! What kind was it? Most of them have the fun of being hypergolic, toxic, or both.

I certainly wouldn't want to ship monopropellant! What kind was it? Most of them have the fun of being hypergolic, toxic, or both.
Which time. It's what ever our customers want us to test..... :wink:

Bob

I use the McMaster-Carr app on my IPAD . . . makes ordering so simple. Just ordered some black oxide 1/4-20 thumb screws for my Dominator 3 AV Bay lid.

Someone mentioned Grainger . . . they're one of my favorite go-to vendors also. It's where I buy my Dow Corning 111 grease for my motor cases. Of course, one tube has lasted me half a lifetime :cool2:

Back