Radical Rocketeers - August 23 - Great Meadows, NJ

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimZNJ

Reaction score
The Radical Rocketeers will be holding a bonus launch date on Saturday August 23rd, starting at 9am at our home field in Great Meadows, NJ. The range will be open to low, mid and high power flights, with an FAA waiver in effect to 5000 feet.

We are located just minutes from I-80 exit 19 in northwestern NJ, near Hackettstown. That's about 20 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap for those coming from PA. See our website at https://www.radrocketeers.org for more info and directions to the field.

Onebadhawk Recovery Harnesses will be at this launch. Come direct to the source of the best recovery harnesses around! :)

Jim Z

Last edited:
Wish I could come! We'll be on vacation, silly life and stuff getting in the way of rockets:rolleyes:

Nate

LOL - title says Aug 23 but post says Aug 9th. :)

So far nothing conflicting on my schedule so hope to make it out there finally this year!

The Radical Rocketeers will be holding a bonus launch date on Saturday August 9th, starting at 9am at our home field in Great Meadows, NJ. The range will be open to low, mid and high power flights, with an FAA waiver in effect to 5000 feet.

We are located just minutes from I-80 exit 19 in northwestern NJ, near Hackettstown. That's about 20 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap for those coming from PA. See our website at https://www.radrocketeers.org for more info and directions to the field.

Onebadhawk Recovery Harnesses will be at this launch. Come direct to the source of the best recovery harnesses around! :)

Jim Z

LOL - title says Aug 23 but post says Aug 9th. :)

So far nothing conflicting on my schedule so hope to make it out there finally this year!

Thanks! I have corrected it to show August 23rd in the post. :) I hope you can make it out. It would be good to see you. :)

Jim Z

Thanks! I have corrected it to show August 23rd in the post. :) I hope you can make it out. It would be good to see you. :)

Jim Z

Thanks Jim. It will be nice to see you guys again as well.

I know it's 5 days away yet but how is the weather forecast looking?

Hopefully the weather holds out! Last launches turnout was exceptional, there were some awesome flights!

[video=youtube;eMfBWDaNhdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMfBWDaNhdY[/video]

Hopefully the weather holds out! Last launches turnout was exceptional, there were some awesome flights!

[video=youtube;eMfBWDaNhdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMfBWDaNhdY[/video]

Always a pleasure watching these videos of yours, that GoPro is nice.:cool:

-John

I completely missed this thread...
I certainly will be at the launch,,, I can't wait...
I am hoping for a repeat in the weather too Jeff,, the weather last launch was just spectacular....
Right now it's showing to start the day a bit cloudy then bright sunshine and 3 mph wind.........
JUST LIKE YOU LIKE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy

Wish I could come! We'll be on vacation, silly life and stuff getting in the way of rockets:rolleyes:

Nate

WHAT............
No Nate..................
Oh Nate...........
Say it ain't so.................

I always feel a bit guilty when I have a really cool flight planned and you won't be there.... lol

Teddy

And yes folks, we are a GO for tomorrow's launch!! Hope to see you all there. Looks like it should be a really great day!! :)

Jim Z

WHAT............
No Nate..................
Oh Nate...........
Say it ain't so.................

I always feel a bit guilty when I have a really cool flight planned and you won't be there.... lol

Teddy

What are you flying today teddy? I'll be eager to see a video whatever it is! We're in Yellowstone/grand Teton so this is almost as good. ;)

What are you flying today teddy? I'll be eager to see a video whatever it is! We're in Yellowstone/grand Teton so this is almost as good. ;)

Now I am severely jealous Nate...
Yellowstone ,, Grand Teton.....
That just sounds absolutely beautiful....
You enjoy yourself Nate,,,
And tell your folks I said hello,, take care,, and be safe....

Teddy

How was it today?

I was home getting my new Spherachutes and Blue Tube orders in.

I can't wait to fly again in two weeks. Now I just need some motors...

Wow,,
What a great video Coleman...
I dub you the video King....
Your right by the way,,,
The Aerotech Dark Matter loads are like no other....

Teddy

Wow,,
What a great video Coleman...
I dub you the video King....
Your right by the way,,,
The Aerotech Dark Matter loads are like no other....

Teddy

I like the way the titanium flakes split into many little pieces as they burn.

I like the way the titanium flakes split into many little pieces as they burn.

I noticed that too Carlo... Very cool..........
We were talking about the different manufacturers Ti loads.....
I think Aerotech puts so much Ti in the mix that the load burns a bit cockeyed
and causes the rocket to go a bit cockeyed....
Between Coleman and I easily 4 times with the I 327 DM the rocket doesn't fly straight...
No matter which rocket it is....
Rockets that have flown on any other load straight as an arrow....
Coleman got a still pic today where the left half of the shower was all Ti
and the right half of the shower was all black smoke.......

Teddy

I noticed that too Carlo... Very cool..........
We were talking about the different manufacturers Ti loads.....
I think Aerotech puts so much Ti in the mix that the load burns a bit cockeyed
and causes the rocket to go a bit cockeyed....
Between Coleman and I easily 4 times with the I 327 DM the rocket doesn't fly straight...
No matter which rocket it is....
Rockets that have flown on any other load straight as an arrow....
Coleman got a still pic today where the left half of the shower was all Ti
and the right half of the shower was all black smoke.......

Teddy

You may have mixed up cause and effect. The rockets were slightly underpowered and the rails too wiggly, so you get the separation of the smoke which follows the air, and the titanium which shoots out straight.

You may have mixed up cause and effect. The rockets were slightly underpowered and the rails too wiggly, so you get the separation of the smoke which follows the air, and the titanium which shoots out straight.

Wow Carlo,,,
That makes sense,,
Thank you,,
I thought it was awfully weird to think there was something wrong with the mix....

Why could this be happening....
It's happened again and again with this load....
I'd like to email Aerotech and ask.....
I think the gentleman's name is Carl,,, at Aerotech....

Teddy

Of course the one day out of the year so far that I could've made it out to you guys, it had to rain. :( It was raining here when I woke up and I checked the radar. Seen it moving right towards the launch site. I checked it a few more times to see if it was going to dissipate but it didn't. I opted to not travel that far to put up with rain for most of the afternoon. I did some hobby work indoors instead. Glad those who went and braved the weather had a nice time.

Wow! Another really cool video Coleman! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. :) Certainly was a sparky friendly day! Man, some of those motors look like thermite going off the way they shower the pad and ground with sparks. I can appreciate better how easily they can set the ground on fire. Verrrry cool though!!

I can't wait for the next launch! :)

Jim Z

Back