Wine making

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2654

Reaction score
The vineyard owner down the road said he wasn't going to be making any wine this year and said I could come pick all the grapes I wanted. I've been making my own wine for about 5 years now but never with real grapes. Anyone have any tips for making wine from grapes? Looks like I got my work cut out for me.
20140814_101310.jpg

Nice score. Test them for sugar yet? Hope the batch turns out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I ate (tested) some and the are a little sweet but kind of tart too. The vineyard guy said I would probably need to add about 3-4 lbs of sugar per 5 gal batch.

Will he (the vineyard owner) let you use his crusher? You need to crush and press those grapes while they are fresh off the vine.
What variety are the grapes?

Any local winemaking shops? I've never made wine, but I'm absolutely sure time's a-wastin' and you need to get some good advice ASAP! Hopefully you can get everything crushed in a day or 2. I think you'll also need to test sugar content and acidity, then adjust them both with additives. I think in some cases winemakers add something that sanitizes the fresh juice, and once that evaporates out, they add a specific yeast.

Alternatively, you could just go super old-school. Stomp everything right there in your buckets with your bare feet. Put a little plastic wrap over each bucket, held in place with a loop of string, with a little pinhole poked in the plastic. See what happens!

And if your 30 gallons of wine don't turn out, find someone with a still and make 5 gallons of brandy. Do not waste alcohol!

Homemade wine sounds so good. I helped my in laws make some last year, wow it had a kick lol

I have 6 gal of Shiraz in bulk aging right now. But mine was easy, from a kit. Not so sure I could process freshly cut clusters.

Will he (the vineyard owner) let you use his crusher? You need to crush and press those grapes while they are fresh off the vine.
What variety are the grapes?

I asked him if he had a press and he said no. He told me he uses a hand mixer, like for mixing cake batter. He is just a small time wine maker with 6 rows of vines about 75 yards long. I didn't think to ask him what variety.

I have 6 gal of Shiraz in bulk aging right now. But mine was easy, from a kit. Not so sure I could process freshly cut clusters.

I have been making my own wine for about 5-6 years and I have always used kits. They come with all the ingredients you need to do 6 gallons in approximately 28 days. I can make 30 bottles for about $2.50 per bottle.

Any local winemaking shops? I've never made wine, but I'm absolutely sure time's a-wastin' and you need to get some good advice ASAP! Hopefully you can get everything crushed in a day or 2. I think you'll also need to test sugar content and acidity, then adjust them both with additives. I think in some cases winemakers add something that sanitizes the fresh juice, and once that evaporates out, they add a specific yeast.

Alternatively, you could just go super old-school. Stomp everything right there in your buckets with your bare feet. Put a little plastic wrap over each bucket, held in place with a loop of string, with a little pinhole poked in the plastic. See what happens!

I told the guy that it may be a while till I could get around to actually starting the process and he said I should freeze them.
20140814_152105.jpg

Midwestbrewing they will have everything you will need . I have been brewing and doing wine from scratch for about 10years . Depending on wine type = sugar needed . Camphor (sp) will sanitize your must . And use a good wine yeast . Put them in a big freezer till you have everything that you need

Back