Is there a flyer/pamphet/booklet that is a good "Introduction to Rocketry?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but being in the hobby for several years, and even attending several NARAM events, while I have seen articles about TARC and advanced books covering a range of model rocketry and HPR rocketry topics, I do not ever recall seeing something that would qualify (other than perhaps an Estes catalog) as an introduction.

Sort of what I'm thinking about is a conversation I had with my family doctor before I left for NARAM-56 in Pueblo, CO. I have had similar conversations with scout parents and others over the years as well. He was very interested and talked about perhaps buying a kit for his son but knew little or nothing about rocketry, how it was done, what to buy, or where to fly let along anything about clubs, MPR/HPR, or national organizations.

Has anyone ever written something (5-10 pages more or less) that covers a few basics like this, welcomes them to the hobby and invites people online to find more information?

I have seen many such books in other hobbies that I have been a part of, from aquarium keeping, to photography, to model trains, but so far, I have not seen anything like that I could purchase and give away to interested persons like my doctor.

What exists to follow up on such a conversation where someone is curious and interested and wants to know more?

I carry around business cards with our company's info on them. But, on the back of the cards I have a link to a site I created to promote rocketry and our local rocketry clubs (https://www.orlandorocketry.com/). I hand a card to anyone who expresses an interest in rocketry. Cards have a big advantage of being very inexpensive.

One of our club members made brochures about our club and a nice display stand for then that is in a local hobby shop. I'm not really sure how effect they have been. The last time I was in the store, they had moved the display to a corner behind a counter. :-(

Another idea is to share copies of the Estes catalog. It has a nice intro to rocketry inside it.

-- Roger

I thought of that but that's really what i was trying to avoid. I wanted something that was just a tri-fold flyer or up to a ten page booklet sort of thing, just to hand out to folks who are curious and interested enough in the hobby to want to learn more but who haven't seen enough or experienced enough to get "bitten" by the bug. Just something to bridge the gap and get them from "curious" to "I gotta try that."

The business card and website idea is a decent one, but it seems like instead of doing such a thing individually, we ought to have some sort of national effort.

I may have to think on that some more...

If you like the ideas of the website and can obtain permission, why not copy paste it in word and create that trifolder you are thinking about?

billspad has some really good ideas here, please DO look carefully at them for your use:

How about stuff from the Estes Educator site like this?

Or this from the NAR web site?

The thing I especially like about the NAR brochure is that it emphasizes SAFETY. I have lost count of the number of conversations I have had with concerned parents who are thinking about letting their kids participate in rocketry. They only know what they see on TV (God help us) and generally don't know that model rocketry is more safe than football/baseball/basketball (that they all allow their kids to play without a second thought).

Estes includes a mini-catalog (which is basically a tiny folded flyer) inside most of their Make & Take kits. I'm not sure if they include them in regular retail Launch Sets these days. Go to a store and tear one open and look!

I thought of that but that's really what i was trying to avoid. I wanted something that was just a tri-fold flyer or up to a ten page booklet sort of thing, just to hand out to folks who are curious and interested enough in the hobby to want to learn more but who haven't seen enough or experienced enough to get "bitten" by the bug. Just something to bridge the gap and get them from "curious" to "I gotta try that."

The business card and website idea is a decent one, but it seems like instead of doing such a thing individually, we ought to have some sort of national effort.

I may have to think on that some more...

Back