MDRA Launch ESL #194 - August 16, 2014 -- who's going and what are you flying?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I am!

GL Vertical Assault (J145-SK long burn; maybe K600-WH, too)
Aerotech Sumo (H54-WH)
Aerotech G-Force (G80-10T)
Estes Leviathan (H90-CL)
Estes D-Region Tomahawk (E9-4)

Next?

I will be there, It will be my first time with MDRA.

I will bring my dual deploy Expediter, 38mm Optima and a Mini magg. I have not been able to fly since April so I am looking forward to this launch.

I'll be there Saturday. Weather forecast is perfect: sunny, temp in 70s and NO WIND!!!

Neil, Bob and AMW-ProX are confirmed to be there.

Yeah, I should have mentioned I'll only be there Saturday.

Going to be a great weekend! Heading to North Carolina for the week so won't be able to partake in this unusually comfortable weather. Enjoy!!!!

Hope the weather cooperates for the Sept launch!

Tyler LEviathan G77RL.jpg
Photo Credit Bill "Mayhem" Cook
My Son Tyler's First MPR Launch
Estes Leviathan on a AT G77-7RL on its way to 1336ft. (Jolly Logic 1)

A great event. It was my first trip out to MDRA, and it was worth it. A very well run range and a very friendly atmosphere.
The weather was just about perfect on saturday. I flew my Optima clone to 3289 feet on an I something or another. I did get stuck in the mud but I was able to recover my shoes and get them cleaned up.

sunday was a little breezier, but still quite good, I flew my DD expediter on some other I motor to 2888 feet and it landed in the grass beyond the parking area. I finished sunday with my minnie magg on a H sparky. During recovery it decided to shed a fin, but fortunately it landed near the rocket.

I had a so so weekend as far as flights went. The people and the event were great!

I only got one flight in on Saturday. Got delayed a little by the bridge traffic, but not much. Grapeshot flew fine again, but the RC chute didn't deploy right, tangled again. Time to relook at how it's deployed.

Thanks Kurt for tagging along and helping get Dog Whistler out of the corn field! I measured it out on Google Maps and it landed just over 2,000 ft upwind. If it hadn't taken so long to hunt that down and get landowner permission to retrieve it, I might have gotten more flights in on Sunday. The repaired Callisto sure flew nice though.

Great folks at MDRA. I'll have to get out there again some time. I heard they hold a launch they call Red Glare. Might have to check that out.

Red Glare is a twice annual big festival like LDRS or URRF. The site for the Red Glares is a much bigger farm, a little further up toward Delaware. Lots of fliers, several vendors (AMW, BlastCap, Wild Man among others). Definitely worth the trip.

However, pinning down the actual dates is tricky, because it hinges on the Status of the farm and how many crops they still have in the field.

Back