rocketry on tv ad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
has anyone seen the new Honda ATV ad where a father and his son launch a rocket and use cell phone tracking and a ATV to track and recover the lost rocket ?

I have seen it at least 5 times today on the " American Heroes Channel "

Bobby

[video=youtube;apELCacJtMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apELCacJtMY[/video]

He's one very lucky kid to have the fortune of recovering his rocket in the small clearing in the woods. Any person with experience launching rockets that close to trees knows that the trees will eat your rockets in the high, high branches. Now, if the advertising company that sold this to Honda had located the launch in wilderness area like the desert launch fields of CA, NV, etc. and showed the rocket and parachute falling behind a far away hill, then they jump into the Honda ATV and drive around to retrive the rocket, it would be a more realistic portray of sport rocketry.

He's one very lucky kid to have the fortune of recovering his rocket in the small clearing in the woods.

I have done that five times in my rocketry career; three times recently with two of those times with a rocket club as my witness!
A sixth time if you count my NCR Phantom 4000 which went into some dense woods, but hung up in a tree low enough that I could jump and grab the fins and pull the rest of it away from the tree.

BTW there's another PSA on TV for something like a Type One Diabetes Association featuring rocketry... I only saw it once, think it was on a sports channel.

Seriously guys?

Everyone bitches about how rocketry is in trouble and you can't get kids interested, or the shows that show completely dangerous or massively unrealistic applications of rocketry.

And yet we complain when rocketry is featured in a positive, family friendly way just because there wasn't quite enough clear space?

(facepalm)

FC

Seriously guys?

Everyone bitches about how rocketry is in trouble and you can't get kids interested, or the shows that show completely dangerous or massively unrealistic applications of rocketry.

And yet we complain when rocketry is featured in a positive, family friendly way just because there wasn't quite enough clear space?

(facepalm)

FC

I was thinking the same thing- ANY excuse to bitch and moan. Do any of you naysayers believe for one second that a person new or possibly interested in rocketry notices the nit picking details some are so quick to point out ????

implied-facepalm.png

I think it's pretty neat that ad agencies and their clients think that rockets are cool. Lots of ads now feature model rockets.

Yes there's been a massive wave of rockets in ads in the last few months. There were at least two running at the same time recently (Mt. Dew and one other) and now Honda. Anybody have a compendium of links? (hint to researchers)

Yes, I think it's cool that Rockets are getting Popular in Commercials.
Maybe next time the Townsfolk here see me Launching Rockets in the Park they won't think I'm doing Fireworks or trying to "Blow $%^T Up!".
The People in my Town are Morons. :mad:

I was thinking the same thing- ANY excuse to bitch and moan. Do any of you naysayers believe for one second that a person new or possibly interested in rocketry notices the nit picking details some are so quick to point out ????

Well, I would hate to see newcomers to rocketry think that they can use their "Eye"-phone as a remote control to guide the rocket to the only 50 foot clearing in the entire forest of Los Padres. :duck:

If you catch a rocketry-themed commercial on TV and you rewind it so your spouse can see it, YOU MIGHT BE A ROCKETEER!

I plead guilty to multiple counts of egregious rocketeerism.

found the video I was talking about. The rocket isn't until the very end (and Bob, it's an Initiator!):

[video=youtube;GatM0ZcpsMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GatM0ZcpsMA[/video]

Well, I would hate to see newcomers to rocketry think that they can use their "Eye"-phone as a remote control to guide the rocket to the only 50 foot clearing in the entire forest of Los Padres. :duck:

Once again :facepalm:

I personally like the Mt. Dew Kickstart ad. Lots of sparkies.

[video=youtube;U13gJA0kQRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U13gJA0kQRQ[/video]

I personally like the commercial. It shows good, quality Father-Son time. Who cares about the minor details?

It's funny. Last night I was talking to my Mother on the Phone and out of nowhere she asked if I had noticed how Rockets are becoming quite popular in TV Commercials lately.

What are you talking about??? There's miles of open space in the Los Padres. Some of its way to rugged and steep to chase a rocket into but thats another story.

losPadres.JPG

lospadres2.JPG

Last edited:
I agree that anything showing model rocketry is great for creating interest but am also concerned about the "creative license" that is taken when they deviate from reality. Not that we are grounded in reality, most rocketeers have our heads in the clouds looking for fantasy to become reality. My other dislike is when I see model rockets used as "fireworks" where there is no intention or motivation to make a successful recovery. When I see the commercial with the mass launching on the beach I cringe because I fear a fire marshall or other official will see it as a reckless fire hazard only suitable for licensed and permitted pyrotechnic operators.

I think they call this "artistic license". My favorite example is when they show some dork on a trout stream who looks like he just stepped off the pages of an Eddie Bauer catalog casting a bass plug with the spinning reel upside down. :facepalm:

What are you talking about??? There's miles of open space in the Los Padres. Some of its way to rugged and steep to chase a rocket into but thats another story.

It's a ironic/ satirical play off one of my first comments:
"Now, if the advertising company that sold this to Honda had located the launch in wilderness area like the desert launch fields of CA, NV, etc. and showed the rocket and parachute falling behind a far away hill, then they jump into the Honda ATV and drive around to retrive the rocket..........."

I might actually end up doing a short backpacking trip in Los Padres this weekend. So far we have had poor success in getting this trip off the ground, with it originally being a week on the Lost Coast Trail, then 5 days, then 3 days (making the Lost Coast not doable), then a couple group members dropping out, now just a 3-day weekend in Los Padres (where none of us have ever gone before). The trip feels cursed. Do you have a recommendation for a particular trailhead and route that you like for a 2-night trip? Something not too ambitious...

I might actually end up doing a short backpacking trip in Los Padres this weekend. So far we have had poor success in getting this trip off the ground, with it originally being a week on the Lost Coast Trail, then 5 days, then 3 days (making the Lost Coast not doable), then a couple group members dropping out, now just a 3-day weekend in Los Padres (where none of us have ever gone before). The trip feels cursed. Do you have a recommendation for a particular trailhead and route that you like for a 2-night trip? Something not too ambitious...

My last trip was in the southern sections of Big Sur. Still has water in the creek for a 2 nighter . i found this webpage and planned a trip of my own

https://santalucia.sierraclub.org/Cruickshank_Hike.html

Last edited:
My last trip was in the southern sections of Big Sur. Still has water in the creek for a 2 nighter . i found this webpage and planned a trip of my own

https://santalucia.sierraclub.org/Cruickshank_Hike.html

Thanks! That looks like a nice trip. The way things are going, we may just end up doing a short overnighter in the Santa Cruz mountains that we have done before.

Now returning to the rocket commercial...

Back