Egg tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getmore

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How do you guys like it. I am thinking of getting one already assembled. My local club has a nice tracker and I am looking to have a back up for other launches. Thanks

Eggfinder? I love mine. Only a handful of flights so far, but I find it is invaluable to me now.

Yeah and one can add the bluetooth connectivity if desired to use with the Android GPS rocket tracker program if they don't want to input
the data manually. I'll stress it might be important to have a portable receiving station if the last received packet isn't near to the final resting place.
Take the EF receiver out to the last received packet site and will likely pick up a new position if the rocket is not within sight. Kurt

How do you guys like it. I am thinking of getting one already assembled. My local club has a nice tracker and I am looking to have a back up for other launches. Thanks

I have one and they're great. If you need someone to assemble it for you I could do it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I don't have any experience in electronics. I just want a transmitter and receiver ready to use.
Connor thanks for the offer.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience in electronics. I just want a transmitter and receiver ready to use.
Connor thanks for the offer.

no problem it is probably the simplest thing to use after it is assembled. just plug it in wait for it to connect watch the track on your screen then plug the last coordinates into your phone or handheld tracker and go find your rocket.

I haven't used mine yet , a observation from testing here the LCD upgraded receiver looks the way to go over using laptop

I haven't used mine yet , a observation from testing here the LCD upgraded receiver looks the way to go over using laptop

I feel the same. I don't have a laptop and I don't know if I want to use my smart phone and use the batterys up looking for rockets all day. I'm going to try one. I new you guys would send me in the right direction.

I feel the same. I don't have a laptop and I don't know if I want to use my smart phone and use the batterys up looking for rockets all day. I'm going to try one. I new you guys would send me in the right direction.

There is not much to it, you can put one together yourself with a little practice. Check out Eggtimerrocketry.com and read all the documentation on the Eggfinder, and you can also check out the threads.

https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page27.php
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ld-Display-Receiver-for-Eggfinder-GPS-Tracker
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...st-GPS-RF-Tracking-System&highlight=eggfinder

Yes, invest in the LCD unit. Do that and it'll be portable so one can take it out to the recovery area for further tracking purposes. Plus it's tunable so one can simply set the receive frequency to whichever EggFinder transmitter they desire. Can have more than one transmitter and just one receiver now.
I've done APRS tracking with a BeelineGPS using an APRS receiver wired into a Garmin Mapping GPS. With the EF LCD, one can read off GPS altitude just like with an APRS tracker and know where to look to possibly see the main deployment. It's easier to read than the telephone/Android device display with GPS Rocket Tracker app in the Sunlight. I also suggest to get an HC-06 B/T module to pair with a phone or Android device. Kurt

You won't use your batteries up looking for rockets all day. You'll look for rockets for 10s of minutes. That's the point of a GPS tracker. :)

I added bluetooth to my receiver, and use Rocket Locator on my phone. It seriously doesn't get any easier than this.

Here's a pic of me walking back to the flightline after getting my rocket ready. You can see the receiver antenna in my pants pocket, and I'm checking my phone to make sure it's showing me moving away from the rocket. I drove straight to the rocket after the launch.

0_426.jpg

You won't use your batteries up looking for rockets all day. You'll look for rockets for 10s of minutes. That's the point of a GPS tracker. :)

I added bluetooth to my receiver, and use Rocket Locator on my phone. It seriously doesn't get any easier than this.

Here's a pic of me walking back to the flightline after getting my rocket ready. You can see the receiver antenna in my pants pocket, and I'm checking my phone to make sure it's showing me moving away from the rocket. I drove straight to the rocket after the launch.

0_426.jpg

I just ordered one of these. How do you add bluetooth to it? Is there documentation of this?

I just ordered one of these. How do you add bluetooth to it? Is there documentation of this?

It's in the document section of the website. I believe it's in the EF LCD instructions or the plain EF instruction. It's quite simple.
Also flashing the BIOS is explained and easy. May sure you get an HC-06 that has the 4 conductor cable set to go with it.

Kurt

It's in the document section of the website. I believe it's in the EF LCD instructions or the plain EF instruction. It's quite simple.
Also flashing the BIOS is explained and easy. May sure you get an HC-06 that has the 4 conductor cable set to go with it.

Kurt

Thanks, found it!

Here's how I added the HC-06 to my Eggfinder RX:
001.jpg

This is with the earlier model of RX. The HC-06 is above the Eggfinder RX, and I marked the pins on a piece of masking tape over it.

With the new LCD RX, I think the pins are already there, all you do is plug the HC-06 in.
The bluetooth links to my Android running Rocket locator. The app. shows where you are and bearing and distance to your rocket. Easy peasy, just follow the arrow to your rocket. You won't be spending all day recovering rockets unless you fly five dual deploy rockets in one day like I did at ROCstock. Never did recharge my Android.

My LCD version with the stock case:

IMG_20140802_191305.jpg IMG_20140803_173507.jpg

IMG_20140803_173538.jpg

Can see the HC-06. Connection key is written on the paper. The cable is from ebay and another user posted the link in another thread.
Kurt

Latest posts

Back