LOC Ultimate - Anyone have experience with one of these kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krackq

Reaction score
I won this kit in a raffle not too long ago and have started construction. I'm curious if anyone else has ever built or launched one of these? It's fairly impressive. 4" kit with six fins and seven 29mm motor tubes. I'll have to add a pic or two later tonight.

Well, the packaging does say 7 motor flights to over 4,000 feet! With 7 of those motors though, it would be supersonic and I'd never see it again probably (if it survived the launch!).

Interestingly, the motor tube configuration is 3 long tubes that open into the rocket airframe for ejection and four shorter motor tubes that are capped off. If I decide to use only a single motor, I have to plug the other two longer motor tubes for ejection. The only suggestion I've seen so far for doing that is to put two spent motors into those tubes.

I don't have this kit but , have a very similar kit: Thoy Night Hawk.
It too has 7 x 29 mm mounts in it.
I have flown it on all 7 once and all of them lit!
I didn't light them all on the ground though.

It came off the pad on an H 268 RL then @ .5 sec 2 x H 220 to get it moving then, 4 x G 55's at burn out of the H220's.
It went either 3,700 or 4,700 ft... I can't remember as it was about 13 years ago.

JD

I had one back in the day . 7 g40s made a real nice flight . I shreaded the hell outta it with a I200 , 3 H180 , 3 H128 combo . If you plan on going over about 300 mph , you should glass the fins / BT . If I remember correct the fins are only three ply 1/8 inch .

Eric

I've had a couple. I still have an Ultimate Max (5.54", 7 38mm mounts) and a downscale (3", 24mm mounts). If you build it near stock, it will fly on a single high thrust G motor up to 7 H motors. For higher total impulse flights, use longer burn motors. 7 Estes F15's will make a smoky, fairly low flight. Make sure you use the long tubes first, plug ones not being used if flying less than 3 motors. The motor tubes are closely packed, you may have interference between the rear closures of particularly CTI cases.

That sounds like an interesting kit. But it must cost a fortune to fly it if you use all 7 motors!

Any suggestions on how to plug the other motor tubes besides spent motors?

That sounds like an interesting kit. But it must cost a fortune to fly it if you use all 7 motors!

Not at all, I flew mine dozens of times on 7 D12's. I would also use 6 D's and a composite motor in the middle. Gotta friction fit the motors, no room otherwise. The four outboards are not capped, you remove the ejection charge from your motors. I got brave one day and flew it on 3 H238's. She ripped off the pad, great flight. Flies great on single H motors also.

One of my favorites. Mine's set up for airstarts and dual deploy utilizing LOC's electronics bay. I've done two full up flights on mine-(2) H220T off the pad (1) G79W and (2) G64W at 2 secs and (2) F20Ws. Hit about 3100'. Next was (1) DMS H135W and (6) D12's... I knew the H would light late but it took it's time and kicked in about 40' up!! Great effect, scared me a bit. 1000-1100' range on that one. Great way to hone your clustering techniques and F15s would make a great, easy full up flight.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg[video=youtube_share;JJbUD5Hme-4]https://youtu.be/JJbUD5Hme-4[/video]

(Courtesy of Rocketjunkie!)

Its great when members can post pics/vids in relation to whats being discussed.........Thanks 😆

Learn from my mistake.... I bought a couple of these kits when they were reissued several years back. What the above poster said, is correct: the fins are only 3 ply plywood. On my particular kits, the plies were oriented so that the root edge to far outer edge, was the weakest orientation of the fins. In other words, the fins were cut in the wrong direction in relation to the plies, they should have been cut turned 90 degrees.
Check your fins. There should be little to no bend of the fin if you hold the root edge in one hand and the far edge in your other hand and try to bend the fin. I'm not confident in 3 ply plywood either, so check your fins for that also. You may have to buy some fin stock and make a new set of fins.

Oh yeah, for blocking the motor tubes... I cut out round pieces of cardboard that fit snugly inside each motor tube and glued them in with epoxy. I used enough 30 minute epoxy in each tube so that there was about .125" of epoxy accumulated above each cardboard "disk".

Last edited:
That sounds like an interesting kit. But it must cost a fortune to fly it if you use all 7 motors![/QUOTI
I agree,7 motors at the same time would leave me with little funds for more flights.But what a thing of beauty when they all light!

..... I knew the H would light late but it took it's time and kicked in about 40' up!! Great effect, scared me a bit. 1000-1100' range on that one. Great way to hone your clustering techniques and F15s would make a great, easy full up flight....

Love the video - I want one of these now! :)

I have a smaller version, 7 x 18mm in a BT70 sized rocket. Haven't flown it, yet, but it should be fun with 7 x A8-5 and flash-in-the-pan ignition :D

Learn from my mistake.... I bought a couple of these kits when they were reissued several years back. What the above poster said, is correct: the fins are only 3 ply plywood. On my particular kits, the plies were oriented so that the root edge to far outer edge, was the weakest orientation of the fins. In other words, the fins were cut in the wrong direction in relation to the plies, they should have been cut turned 90 degrees.
Check your fins. There should be little to no bend of the fin if you hold the root edge in one hand and the far edge in your other hand and try to bend the fin. I'm not confident in 3 ply plywood either, so check your fins for that also. You may have to buy some fin stock and make a new set of fins.

Oh yeah, for blocking the motor tubes... I cut out round pieces of cardboard that fit snugly inside each motor tube and glued them in with epoxy. I used enough 30 minute epoxy in each tube so that there was about .125" of epoxy accumulated above each cardboard "disk".

Thanks for the advice on the fins. For the motor tubes, I'm not sure I'm looking to plug them permanently. I just need to plug the two outer tubes that go all the way through in case I want to launch with a single motor. A long 29mm H sounds pretty fun.

I have one :). Its now beat up and stretched and covered with dust but I am sure its still flight worthy. First Couple flights were with the classic Big Nozzle 120 n/s G80-4T. Flew it once at the last SPAAR launch I ever been to back when I was in Highschool. Then a teacher in my Highschool borrowed it for a family picnic and it flew on another G80-4T classic. It didn't fly again till April 1999, which was the first CMASS launch I went to. I flew it with another G80-4T classic, and then got my Level 1 certification flying it with an H97-6J. Later in the year I made my first composite motor launch, G75-6J in the middle and two F25-9W in the outside (classic 80ns). Since then it has flown many times on motors up to H220's and the largest cluster was 7 Econojet G35-7W's at NSL 2003 (I think it was 2003, it was held near Scranton, PA)
AS.jpg

My son has one, the first attrempt was with a center G80 and six air start D11-P's. Results were predictable, the G didn't have enough umph and when the D-11's kicked in, it became a cruise missile - it was spectacular! "Ultimately" after some repair the best combo he found was an H in the middle with some number of long burn G's (like the old G25's) surounding it.

Back