You ever see a rocket design that makes you stop in your tracks and proceed to drool?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
Well..... I have!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407845171.602546.jpg

Saw this while browsing google for av-bay ideas. :drool:

Let's see yours!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
That is just plain sexy! Cripes, it's carbon, has a tail cone and a very curvy shape. Looks dangerously fast sitting still-what's not to like?? Dang- who's is that??

There was a build thread on this rocket a year or so ago.

They were going to kit it, wonder if they ever did?

It was called the "alien" & built by EMiR. ......looking for the build thread now......

Last edited:
Very cool, I'd buy that. I don't remember seeing it before, hopefully CJ can find something.

When I was 11, I lusted after the Estes Hercules: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?19740-Estes-Hercules-(-1377)-Gallery

When I finally got it a few years later, I spent more time on that build than any other, making sure everything was perfect. It's funny, I remember having to special order the booster motors since the local stores didn't have any, but I don't actually remember launching the thing.

I'm thinking about cloning it as a winter project.

There are many that trip my trigger. One in particular is Gary Byrums scratch built "Gyro Dragon".
Its one very cool looking rocket.
From the design to the finish colors,graphics,name,ect.
He really nailed it on this one.

(not the best pic,maybe the man could post a better/bigger one)...:wink:

GBDragon.jpg

There are many that trip my trigger. One in particular is Gary Byrums scratch built "Gyro Dragon".
Its one very cool looking rocket.
From the design to the finish colors,graphics,name,ect.
He really nailed it on this one.

(not the best pic,maybe the man could post a better/bigger one)...:wink:

Thanks SD. Just so everyone knows, Gyro Dragon is the black & orange model. All I have is the same pic but it'll be larger. And in case you're wondering, it doesn't spin at all.

DSCF3529.jpg

Here's the one that caught my eye. I found out Foamy created it and he even sent me the specs so I could build one. Honestly, it was one of the hardest paint jobs I ever did.

Acacius-in-clouds.jpg

Ok, as an adult, it's that Gyro Dragon. That is brilliant!

Wow, thanks Scott. It was one of those brainstorm moments, and I just happened to have a 4" HPR tube in the closet that was slightly damaged, so it was useless as an airframe. I drew this fin pattern twice in good solid areas....

Gyro Dragon Fin.jpg

I prolly should mention, I knew I wanted to stiffen up the tube because I had to use a jigsaw to cut out those fins, so I made a sort of mop on a dowel to coat the inside with CA glue. This did prove to work very well except, I forgot how CA reacts to a wound or bundle of cloth, and it fumed the hell out of my room, I took off down the hall and doused it in the toilet and chunked it outside. WHEW! That was some ordeal! At least I got it finished. I knew the jigsaw would have left the tube in an awful mess so the CA was a good move. Here they are cut and trimmed out after getting the edges nice and slick.

DSCF3385.jpg

Thanks for the insight. I'm going to add this approach to the long list of future projects.

Thanks for the insight. I'm going to add this approach to the long list of future projects.

Just know, that no matter what you've heard about 2 FNC, this is my 3rd or 4th, and yes, you can fly with just 2 fins. OH, I found this profile pic when it was nekkid.

DSCF3471.jpg

Gary,

Is it the Gyro Dragon or the Psycho Devil that has the double-secret lug?

Gyro. You suggested it, and a good one it was. I feel having that much more to anchor the fins to the tube with, is prolly the reason they didn't shear off. OOPS you said double lug not dowels. But yes, Gyro had the mystery lug Johnny couldn't find...lol

Last edited:
Gyro. You suggested it, and a good one it was. I feel having that much more to anchor the fins to the tube with, is prolly the reason they didn't shear off. OOPS you said double lug not dowels. But yes, Gyro had the mystery lug Johnny couldn't find...lol

What is the mystery lug?

What is the mystery lug?

Bill, you can't see them in the pics, but there is one clearly visible between the fins at the bottom, and the "mystery" lug is mounted on the edge of one of the four fins in the forward section. It's painted black also, and is angled on the top and bottom with the fin. It's not easy to see even if you are holding the rocket.

That's got to be the biggest model rocket I have ever seen a rocketry fan construct! WOW!

Oh, it's not a Model or Hobby Rocket, but the Thread Title never said it had to be, just a "Rocket Design", so I threw this one into the mix.
The Cook Skokie looks like something out of Star Wars. That Pic' is from Edwards AFB in 1957 according to one of my Books. It was purely a "Test Vehicle".

Last edited:
The alien is seriously cool! I am considering building a 6 inch version for an L3 attempt. Since I would not have the skills or the funds to do it in carbon fiber, I might use color shifting paint to give an "alien" effect. Always Ready Rocketry was going to do a kit but nothing came of it.

Here are two rough rocksim files:

View attachment Alien 3in BT Final.rkt

View attachment Alien 6in BT Final-2.rkt

Last edited:
The alien is seriously cool! I am considering building a 6 inch version for an L3 attempt. Since I would not have the skills or the funds to do it in carbon fiber, I might use color shifting paint to give an "alien" effect. Always Ready Rocketry was going to do a kit but nothing came of it.

Here are two rough rocksim files:

Thanks for sharing those. Really nice stuff there.

Latest posts

Back