Birdie upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCrocketfan

Reaction score
Hi all,
The classic Astron Birdie is a great rocket, and I have build several clones. When I found larger (about 5 inch) badmitton birdies, it seemed an upscale was in order.
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the build, and ran a rough rocksim to determine about 1 oz of nose weight is needed. It uses 2mm depron foam centering rings since they only have to center the motor and not withstand the thrust of the motor. This should be able to fly most delay C11 and D12 motors, it will be tested with a c11-3 or d12-0 for the first time this saturday if it finish it.
Due to CG on this rocket, it cannot fly motors larger than Estes d12s...yet.:wink:

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

I was able to fly this twice last saturday, both times on D12-0's. It flew great (and is very fast for an oddroc), but after the second flight, the motor rings had melted to be unusable. I'm working on 2.0, which will be more stable, remove the 1.5 oz nose weight, and have a better way to vent D12-0 exhaust.

birdieliftoff.JPG

birdiedamage.jpg

yeap!
Been flying my D12 powered "Dee-Big Bird" for quite a while now. the 3pk I picked up at the dollar store came with a Red, Yellow and Blue Birdies.
Just had to add a beak and some google Eyes to the yellow one....just cause.

I built mine just a bit different using a Paper Pad back Cardstock custom cut centering ring and Added a T4 (.448") tube beside the BT-50 motor tube to house a pullout small chute. Works like a champ and no melting other then a few of the very bottom plastic skirt fringe:)

A couple years ago another TRF member found some HUGE Birdies on-line. I haven't been able to put my finger on the thread but they were twice or larger then our D powered birdies. I think he mentioned using 29mm motor mounts in his.

141a-sm_Dee Big Bird_10-07-93.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome! Looks like the same base birdie as I have, I got 6 in varying colors. Any nose weight? I agree the smoke trail is awesome, here is a pic of it drag racing my Fliskits Frick-n-Frack:
birdievssaucer.png
I'm sure the paper centering rings hold up better, Birdie 2.0 uses a paper centering ring.

Let me know if you find the thread for the 29mm one. I'd love to build a HPR birdie!

Here are some pics of V2.0. It has a single centering ring, and the motor is mounted a lot farther forward. No nose weight, venting for any ejection charge (or burnout on D12-0), and it's more stable than the first Birdie according to rocksim.

birdienew1.jpg

newbirdie3.jpg

newbirdie2.jpg

Back