Painkiller Micro

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizWolf

Reaction score
Yay! UPS brought me a present!

14704298729_288e65f8dd_b.jpg

The nosecone is really nice. Smooth, nicely colored exterior. Good tight fit to the body tube, and a seamless interior. I haven't gotten a photo of it I like yet, but it's pretty cool.

The rest of the parts look good as well. I was hoping the 24mm retainer I had in the parts box would fit, but unfortunately it's a 24L and not even close.

Ok, video's busted. I'll try to fix it later tonight.

Here's a photo of the first nights work:
14892910265_ccc32bedc1.jpg

Last edited:
OK got the video up. It's pretty rough, but here it is:

Looking at it again, I should have pushed the upper CR under the spacer, put the epoxy down, and then pushed it up. Would have saved having to clean it off, and in general been a neater way to do it.

[video=youtube_share;4J7tm2cznMM]https://youtu.be/4J7tm2cznMM?list=UU3builfBvFxj13D88qCUR5g[/video]

And putting on the fins:
[video=youtube_share;r6eS-tsjyZM]https://youtu.be/r6eS-tsjyZM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;hJXb0mkIWgc]https://youtu.be/hJXb0mkIWgc[/video]

Last edited:
I slid in the MMT and did a quick dry fit to make sure the fins all fit.

14715108688_0485cf5af3_c.jpg

That is a very tempting deal, and a great looking rocket. It definitely has me reconsidering my next purchases.

-Hans

Looks great! Can you fly this on Estes BP motors, or is it composite only?

I don't think the Estes E's will have the punch to lift this. I may try an aerotech E18, but that's only a 3:1 ratio. Probably sticking in the F range.

Looking good David! I like your method with the dowel spacer.

The picture of the nose cone looks as if its painted, very nice!

2 on order here, one is for someone else in our club.

OK,glued the harness down, sanded up the slots, wiped it down with alcohol, sanded the fin edges, and glued in the fins. I laid a thick line of Aeropoxy ES6209 over the slot, buttered the edge of the fin, and pressed it in place. The fit is tight enough I didn't bother with a fin jig or whatnot. I wiped down the fins with my finger, and BANG! exterior fillets. With the motors this will fly on, I'm not too concerned about the fins ripping off. No need to make the ass end a glue bomb.

All that's left is to find an eye bolt and glue the nose up! (video coming shortly)

14724641740_84d472d799_z.jpg
14724758587_7940399f91_z.jpg

Do you add anything to ES6209? I'm using it for the first time soon coming from BSI... Is it good for internal fillets as well? Thanks! What file size can you recommend me? Thanks

I don't add anything. I've used it in many rockets for internal fillets, just a few small ones for external.

I assume you're asking about the file size for the centering rings? Any round file will work, you can just file a little, then test fit and then file some more until it'll slide over the motor tube with the kevlar in place. How deep you go will depend on what size kevlar you have (not included in kit. I have a ton of 750 pound test line here I used) Remember if you do two sides like I did to make sure they wont interfere with fin placement.

Last edited:
I don't add anything. I've used it in many rockets for internal fillets, just a few small ones for external.

I assume you're asking about the file size for the centering rings? Any round file will work, you can just file a little, then test fit and then file some more until it'll slide over the motor tube with the kevlar in place. How deep you go will depend on what size kevlar you have (not included in kit. I have a ton of 750 pound test line here I used) Remember if you do two sides like I did to make sure they wont interfere with fin placement.

Okay do you inject your internal fillets? I have Rocket Poxy here and Aeropoxy... I really don't like the way rocket poxy comes packaged is what do you use for external usually? I plan on building my micro like yours just so it's perfect... Thanks and sorry for jacking the thread...

No worries on hijacking, this is why I post. It'd be boring if no one asked any questions. I typically inject on larger rockets, or leave off the rear CR and do them that way. This one, I just pushed it in and that was that. It may not be perfect or survive hitting a cement truck at mach 1, but I think it's sufficient for this rocket.

Externals, I've mostly used proline 4500. thick and sets up nice and quick. I haven't tried rocket poxy.

Second video should be live shortly.

[video=youtube_share;r6eS-tsjyZM]https://youtu.be/r6eS-tsjyZM[/video]

No worries on hijacking, this is why I post. It'd be boring if no one asked any questions. I typically inject on larger rockets, or leave off the rear CR and do them that way. This one, I just pushed it in and that was that. It may not be perfect or survive hitting a cement truck at mach 1, but I think it's sufficient for this rocket.

Externals, I've mostly used proline 4500. thick and sets up nice and quick. I haven't tried rocket poxy.

Alright thanks I look forward to my micro when I purchase... Can't buy it yet just paid for a loc viper 3...

Just for fun- (I'll get some normal photos tomorrow when it's light out)

14909848711_ba58a56a88_z.jpg

14726304398_6caac26b5a_z.jpg

Last edited:
I was hoping the 24mm retainer I had in the parts box would fit, but unfortunately it's a 24L and not even close.

Dave, I ordered the Aeropack 24P as Gary suggests, but you will still have to sand the end of the MMT a bit to get that to fit. (Had to do the same thing with my Madcow 2.56" FG HoJo) I dry fit mine together the other day, serious quality here!

and the third:

[video=youtube_share;hJXb0mkIWgc]https://youtu.be/hJXb0mkIWgc[/video]

In the video of installing the motor mount and fins I didn't see you put any epoxy on the centering rings. What's the story there? I can see where with through the wall fins it is not really needed and really simplifies things, but I am curious for your thoughts.

As you mentioned, just not needed. The CRs are fit tight to the fins, the fins to the motor tube and body by fillets.
I'm focusing on keeping unneeded weight out of the back end, and also with no paint you get a real ugly ring when you epoxy.

I do the same on larger kits as well. When I dumped my 3" darkstar in the water, it just poured right past the CRs and through the motor mount. All the CRs really do is space the motor during installation, and act as an epoxy dam.

Last edited:
Just weighed it up without shock cord or parachute.

14 oz even. Figure add less than an ounce for chute and cord. This little guy is gonna move :)

What are you flying it on??

Where are you flying?

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Gonna keep things low until I can get a tracker into it. the 6 grain G150 will put it about 3,000'

Gonna fly on an E15W-4 to about 550'

Flying at the URRG club launch in Potter.

I've noticed Gary does a little spray painting on the airframe just under the nose cone, I suppose to hide the coupler showing through the wall. Are you going to do that?

I've noticed Gary does a little spray painting on the airframe just under the nose cone, I suppose to hide the coupler showing through the wall. Are you going to do that?

I hadn't thought of that, but it's not a bad idea.

Back