RIP Robin Willams

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really sad news indeed.

There was a thread earlier on TRF about golf. I've often wondered how that game ever came to be, but after seeing Robin Williams take on it I'm pretty well convinced he had it about right (Warning: Careful with the volume; there's a "fair" amount of "select" language....):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

He was truly brilliant.

Last edited:
Truly sad...
As a comedian when he was on top of his game, there was none funnier.
In my mind, it was his role in Good Will Hunting that established Robin as a serious actor.
He seemed to have everything necessary to make him happy, but clearly an illness wiped that out.
While we have lost a little, his family now has a gaping hole in their lives.
Best we can do is remember him fondly, and send thoughts of support to his family.

John

John

That sucks! What a genuinely funny guy, I have laughed until I cried numerous times on his account. I was just listening to the stand up that he and Eddie Murphy did in the 80s a few weeks ago (I sit and type and stare at data until I'm cross-eyed a lot of days, so YouTube is my friend). It's dated of course, but in spite of that utterly hilarious.

RIP Robin, thanks for the many laughs I've had and will continue to have.

It's so ironic that a great comedian like him was suffering from depression. So sad. He was one of my favorites.

Wait, you mean the guy who played the Genie in Aladdin? That sucks... :(

I have fond Momories of watching Mork and Mindy as a Kid. I had a Crush on Mindy.
I liked him best however in One Hour Photo and Insomnia.

And hes still making people laugh and cheering them up. Ive been thru hell the last 11 days. Almost died,still not sure if Im going to be an active member of the human race, down in the dumps and very concerned about me-self.
I just got done laughing me arsh off to the point of tears watching the op "Golf" video.
I needed that.
Thanks Robin!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a truly sad day in the world of comedy.
I think his best roles were Awakenings and Patch Adams.

I'll never forget watching the Mork and Mindy pilot with my father and both of us thinking, "This guy is a nut!' Of course, he was pretty juiced on cocaine in those days.

As many times as we read about celebrity suicides, it gets more and more clear that being rich and famous is not the key to happiness.

I don't like hearing this, but with comedians, it's pretty much a given that they are really sad and depressed people on the inside. Their comedy is like a hit of heroin to them, sweet, but short. I kinda know this from experience.

Mork & Mindy, loved that to no end. Sometimes I had trouble following his stand ups because he talked so fast. But any movie he was in, was always a pleasure to watch. I guess my favorite might have been, "What Dreams May Come". I liked "Hook" also.

Gonna miss you Robin......hated that you felt the need to go that distance.

Not just a comedian, but a serious actor. The time I started taking him seriously as a dramatic actor was an episode of Homicide in which he nailed the part.

A couple of his serious movies that I enjoyed are Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

The World According to Garp left me really shaken up when I saw it. But that was the first time I think I realized that he could really act.

Going WAAYYYYY back here: Remember him in Popeye? That movie was so bad it was good.

What an udder shame...
He was absolutely hilarious...
RIP

Teddy

He is probably 'up there' somewhere now expecting someone to start making jokes about his death.

RIP Robin. You will be greatly missed. He made me laugh on many occasions. A sad day indeed.

Here's what Robin Williams said about Popeye, "If you watch it backwards, it has a plot."

Williams was brilliant in Popeye. The problem with that movie was that they hired Robert Altman to direct it. Like in all of his movies, all the characters talk at the same time, and you can't understand what they're saying.

But the joy of it was watching Williams, Duvall, and Walston bring those beloved characters to life.

Williams was brilliant in Popeye. The problem with that movie was that they hired Robert Altman to direct it. Like in all of his movies, all the characters talk at the same time, and you can't understand what they're saying.

But the joy of it was watching Williams, Duvall, and Walston bring those beloved characters to life.

Agreed. Thanks for explaining how a movie with all that acting talent could flop like that! Altman certainly was a weird choice to direct...his style is too subtle for characters that are intentionally over the top.

Back