Would this fiberglass kit work?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysmith

Reaction score
Hello, I was in Bonds today with my mom and I happened to catch glimpse of this fiberglassing kit:View attachment 181007
Do you guys think this would be a good starter kit for me? I want to just try fiberglassing fins and maybe a 38mm tube so I think the anount of glass in the kit would be enough. The guy thought I was crazy because nobody had ever asked him if that could be used for rocketry LOL! I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for a first time experience with it. If I ever got better at fiberglassing I would consider buying from a place like uscomposites.com but I just wated to try this and for the resin, hardener, and and about 3 square feet of cloth, the price isn't too bad for me. Waddya think?

It would probably be a good starting point for learning the layup technique, but does it come with epoxy resin or polyester resin? Polyester resin isn't as adhesive as epoxy resin is. So in an application like laying up glass on a tube for additional strength, polyester resin would be fine so long as the tube is sanded well and there is no glossine layer on it. I'd recommend picking up some Bob Smith Industries epoxy resin and some fiberglass cloth. Polyester resin has a very strong scent and is not too great to breathe in, it'll make you light headed quickly. BSI laminating resin dries a bit quicker than a resin like Aeropoxy or West Systems, so for a learning curve it's a great place to start.

Braden

Alright, it just says fiberglass resin. No idea what it is. I think I will try this first and then look into BSI.

Ya I guess it would be a good starter kit. I don't know what kind of glass it is but I'm guessing it is going to be very stiff so it will be good for fins but hard to roll a tube with.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Polyester resin will make you hate fiberglass. Worked with it once and Ill never go near it again. Get some epoxy like a man!

Alex

Glad you guys told me that. I just found out it is polyester resin. I guess I will need to get some BSI slow cure epoxy ( BSI says that slow cure works good for laminating as long as you heat it up after application) and some fiberglass cloth. What weight cloth do you recommend if I wanted to do fins and an airframe?

A little research shows that it IS polyester resin. You can buy 8 square feet of 6oz Bondo Fiberglass cloth for $6 at Walmart. A local hobby shop will have Bob Smith laminating resin for $12-$15. I rolled a 3" glass tube with polyester resin and HIGHLY recommend epoxy. It will be worth it in the long run, plus you'll likely have the epoxy longer than the cloth.

Braden

Glad you guys told me that. I just found out it is polyester resin. I guess I will need to get some BSI slow cure epoxy ( BSI says that slow cure works good for laminating as long as you heat it up after application) and some fiberglass cloth. What weight cloth do you recommend if I wanted to do fins and an airframe?

No, avoid BSI. You can do tiny layups with it but it will smell awful due to the large exposed area, and it isn't going to wet out cloth as well as a real laminating epoxy. At least use their finish-cure product rather than the slow cure adhesive.

A little research shows that it IS polyester resin. You can buy 8 square feet of 6oz Bondo Fiberglass cloth for $6 at Walmart. A local hobby shop will have Bob Smith laminating resin for $12-$15. I rolled a 3" glass tube with polyester resin and HIGHLY recommend epoxy. It will be worth it in the long run, plus you'll likely have the epoxy longer than the cloth.

Braden

I have started playing with the WalMart Auto section Bondo Fiberglass cloth and made a few things so far. Have made a few Funk Saucers and just did a wrap of my daughters Mega Der Purple Max tube. Next will try to do a clear payload tube for a nightlaunch rocket & and a nosecone mold.

Having West or Aeropoxy quart of epoxy has been very handy..may have to do a gallon next time.

Kenny

I just got 6-oz and 1.4-oz from acpsales. 5 yards each in 38-inch width ran me ~$36. Shipping was $6. May be worth a look.
I already have West System 105/205/206 which I understand is perfect for this application.
I won't get a chance to use it until this weekend. Maybe a thread to let everyone know how it goes......

I have started playing with the WalMart Auto section Bondo Fiberglass cloth and made a few things so far. Have made a few Funk Saucers and just did a wrap of my daughters Mega Der Purple Max tube. Next will try to do a clear payload tube for a nightlaunch rocket & and a nosecone mold.

Having West or Aeropoxy quart of epoxy has been very handy..may have to do a gallon next time.

Kenny

I love the bondo glass, if you need some in a hurry. It's not exactly cheap for what you're getting, but it's nice knowing someone has 6 oz glass around here!

Braden

Get some US Composites 635 medium resin, and you are set. Inexpensive as well. A half gallon is $45.

No, avoid BSI. You can do tiny layups with it but it will smell awful due to the large exposed area, and it isn't going to wet out cloth as well as a real laminating epoxy. At least use their finish-cure product rather than the slow cure adhesive.

I've never had any smelling issues with 20min finish cure.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

First off blackbrandt has a good point. Get some US Composites epoxy. It is the cheapest yet really good epoxy around. I'd recommend getting some.

Second of all once you get the hang of glassing I'd ditch that inferior 5oz. cloth and get some real fiberglass cloth. I've stress tested the cloth with aeropoxy and the glass cracked, but not the epoxy.

Welcome into the fun of making your own composites. It is the true dedication in this hobby.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

The finish-cure resin is the epoxy I was recommending. I've used that stuff multiple times and it's worked great for applications where you want a slightly faster cure for glass than higher quality resins.

Braden

Back