RC Natter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the thread on the norris Natter kit, got me to dig back into my plan from 2008 when I did a 30" long profile natter RC RG. I had flown that on E-9's with the end plugged and on E-6 motors. Since it was short and the CG needed to be near the leading edge of the wing, the AUW was 13 oz rtf, and it wasn't much of a glider, but it worked ok. I decided to upscale it 136% which would give me a 41" length and just fit onto a depron sheet, and that gave me almost a 1.9x increase in surface area. Since I have the same tail weight but a longer nose moment, It didn't require as much nose weight, but since it is larger it came out slightly heavier at 15 oz painted rtf but is a real floater now. I added two carbon struts on the tail to prevent slight twisting under hard roll inputs.

The original tail was full flying but it was pretty large on this model, so I fixed the inboard pieces to the tail which aided in stiffening it, and just move the outer surfaces. I used a bit of thin styrene to stiffen the tail where the surfaces pivot and a bit on the bottom to prevent landing rash, and to support on each side of where the rail buttons attach. Model master olive and some flat gull gray were used for color, and then a silver sharpie for panel lines, and some trim monokote for the canopy markings.

Here are a couple of flights from this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xs0itTlhDQ&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Very cool. Natters everywhere! After the Noris flew at NARAM I heard of a planned high power project slated to fly in the open desert. If it comes to fruition it will be awesome. Everybody is liking the Natter these days.

Back