Do you have a favorite brand of spray paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Rustoleum... And Krylon... It's what's available at the store. I pick the paint by the color. Decent results, but I'm not going for perfection. Anymore. I used to, and then I finally learned to do "good enough."

I've used Krylon, Rustoleum 2X, Tamiya, and Duplicolor so far in my rocketry career... They all have their benefits.

Rusto is cheap by comparison and the nozzle is arguably the best of all four. It also has a pretty good gloss selection without much sanding required. Downside is that the recoat window is very particular, and since it's an enamel it takes a long time to cure before clear coat.

Tamiya and Duplicolor are both lacquer, so much quicker drying and recoat anytime. I often sand those two within 6h of a thin coat. Downside is PRICE!! Also requires a bit more surface prep work and sanding multiple coats to get a similar shine.

Krylon is pretty meh as far as I'm concerned... I've had the most nozzle problems, and it doesn't offer much that you can't better get with other brands. I will likely be sticking to Duplicolor from here on. Their filler primer is fantastic and my Canadian Tire stocks the full line.

Like many others, I was a fan of old formula Krylon. It went on evenly and was easy to get a nice glossy finish. I've had mixed results with the new formula Krylon. The finish just doesn't seem as smooth and you have to get your rocket fairly wet to get glossy finish. However, I still like the color selection from Krylon and the local Michael's store always has a good stock. I still plan to use it for some upcoming projects, but I am checking out some of the other brands. I just don't have enough experience with these other brands yet to give a recommendation. Testors has always worked good for me. They have a good color selection, but can be expensive on a large rocket.

--MARK
NAR 65148, L1
MDRA
NOVAAR

Anything that's not metallic as it blocks the Rf from the trackers riding inside the rocket from getting out. If one can connect the tracker to the sustainer
shockcord for apogee deployment can be a compromise if one shot the entire rocket in a metallic finish. Kurt (been there, done that)

Back