Well that was interesting...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Watched a pot bust last night. I bring a few friends out on our boat, and we settle into our campsite for the night. Next to us is a group of highschool/college that reminded me of Waynes World. Next thing we know, park rangers pull in, line all 12 of them up, sit them down, and start searching the camp. I see one ranger pull out a plastic baggie. Next I know, I see a kid calling someone on his phone in front of the ranger. It was his parents. Parents came out 1 by one, and started picking up the teens. Lectures ensued. I overheard the ranger telling the parents "Your kid has been charged with possession of marijuana..."

They were out there until about 0300...

Did somebody turn them in, or were they being particularly roudy?
Seems pretty harsh for just a camp-out...

As a retired park ranger, I have dealt with many fun seekers of that age and have spent way too many hours filling out paper work, transporting individuals to jail, calling parents at oh-dark thirty and logging evidence. What you see in a campsite is only the tip of the iceberg for the rangers. These situations always happen late at night and normally it is the music and loud voices that get our attention. They never seem to get it, being noisy versus being quite. I guess you can't party without loud music.

To be honest, partying police officers are worse than high school/college kids and I have never forgotten those campers that stepped up when the s**t hit the fan and stood by me. Because, in many parks there are only one park ranger on duty or on call at night. One ranger versus a large number of under the influence individuals is not a good feeling. I have been there too many times! Thank God for my dog. He was never trained to be a K9 dog but he was big and could he growl.

I hope that evening activites did not ruin your experience.

Last edited:
Did somebody turn them in, or were they being particularly roudy?
Seems pretty harsh for just a camp-out...
They had loud music for the most of the night, but there was the unmistakable smell of pot.

I'm 48 years old and I don't have half an idea what pot smells like :confused2:
Guess I've led a sheltered life...

Adrian

Pot smells like burning grass.
Maybe you should have been launching rockets, they might've taken a new path in life, instead of wasting their minds.

2 reasons I know there was a pot smell. My friend who was there has a mom who is a probation officer, and she describes the smell specifically. Two, I went to St Thomas, and for 3 hours on a beach, some natives were smoking pot like you would never believe.

Adrian

Adrian

Only time I've smelled it was when I was in the police academy and they burned some in class, and walked around and whiffed it in our faces to give us an idea what it smelled like...

Kind of reminded me of burning sweatsocks...

I don't see that we're missing much...

Friggin' stoners... coming to a state near you, with all this "legalized pot" crap... Hope they all to go Colorado and Washington State... we don't need no freakin' worthless stoners...

Later! OL JR :)

We've had two major forest fires nearby this summer that have been traced to illegal pot farms on BLM land. Thank you, marijuana growers.

oooh! oooh! Is this thread gonna turn political???? It's bordering on it; I could use some comedic relief about now....

oooh! oooh! Is this thread gonna turn political???? It's bordering on it; I could use some comedic relief about now....
What's the difference between a forest fire and a fire on a pot farm?

1) In a forest fire-nobody wants to breathe the smoke.
2) In a pot farm fire-you have to keep people from running INTO it.
3) In a forest fire-nobody clears a fire break and then sticks it in their pockets
4) On a pot farm-nobody moves too fast to put it out.
5) In a forest fire-none of the little animals are running around giggling.
6) Ina pot farm fire-you get way more volunteers.........to stand around and watch it burn.

What's the difference between a drunk and a stoner?

A drunk drives through a stop sign.

A stoner waits for it to turn green.

Kind of reminded me of burning sweatsocks...

One might wonder how you know what burning sweat socks smell like.

I remember the pot smell from my college days. I never smoked it but I'm guilt of being an enabler. I drove my stoner friends to the nearest cheap fast food place.

Cocaine smells much better than pot, which is similar to burning green leaves or such.

I used to cross the US - Canadian border a lot and would get pulled in for inspections now and again. It was always funny to see stoned kids stand there and freak out as thier car was torn apart next to us. Pro tip, don't pace and act shifty. Second tip, don't carry over the border. Oh, and never step off the curb. Making people with guns nervous is bad.

I remember the pot smell from my college days. I never smoked it but I'm guilt of being an enabler. I drove my stoner friends to the nearest cheap fast food place.
Should good Tufts students like you have gone to Jumbo's?

I used to cross the US - Canadian border a lot and would get pulled in for inspections now and again. It was always funny to see stoned kids stand there and freak out as thier car was torn apart next to us. Pro tip, don't pace and act shifty. Second tip, don't carry over the border. Oh, and never step off the curb. Making people with guns nervous is bad.
When I lived in Western New York, I would make the border crossing numerous times a year. Generally there was no problem and I never had to pull over for a search. I do remember two agents and their questions going into Canada: One was a jovial, older fellow with whom I felt I could give a little bit of a light-hearted answer to the question of "Why are you visiting Canada today?" - "Sightseeing, shopping, tourism in general" got a good chuckle from him; the other was a younger chap who had probably not been on the job too long - he was quite serious and seemed to be very "by-the-book". When he asked if my female friend and I were carrying any protection, we assumed he meant guns, knives or nuclear weapons, answered "No" and were on our way. Shortly after the being waved on, we burst out laughing knowing that any comments about condoms would have met with a closer encounter of the unwanted kind.

To the thread topic or, at least, recent posts, not an unpleasant aroma but, like Bill, I never used, knowingly. Reeked of it a number of times as I was in the backseat of a two-door car while Sue and Lynn puffed up in the front seats of a Pinto before classes in HS (when you hitchhike, you take the rides you get). Once had a chocolate chip cookie and a half not knowing my coworker's girlfriend had included a special ingredient; made for a very interesting experience at Yankee Stadium.

Hopefully the kids that were the subject of the original post will make some better decisions after this experience.

Should good Tufts students like you have gone to Jumbo's?

In my four years I was never in the place and don't know anybody who was.

More than one run was to Buzzy's Roast Beef in Boston. The food was mediocre at best but they were open 24 hours. There was another place in Porter Square of equal quality. The clientele in the early morning hours was entertaining.

We have the "Medical Marijuana" :eyeroll: here, and have a growing station on a road that I have to take to get home from the city, and the odor coming out of this place is like a grassy skunk. I know it has to be this growing facility because the prior businesses that were in that building never smelt like that in the past. That being said, it is a better smell than the sewer plant and garbage transfer station :puke: that I have to drive past on the same road.

Last edited:
Ironically, living in Colorado, I don't see any more stoners now than before the legalization. Even here in Boulder. Any folks I know who "partake" still get it through their original means, as the legal stuff is FAR more expensive (taxes and such).
-Ken

Here in California, we have huge pot farms and meth labs. Last week a boat brought in about 1000 pounds of pot, possibly from a mother ship. An SUV was supposed to pick up the pot but got stuck in the sand on the beach. The smugglers abandoned the pot, the boat, and the SUV. This was not too far from where I live in the SF Bay area. Pretty big business. That was just one shipment.

When I lived in Fla. some shrimpers I knew saw some "square grouper" floating offshore one night. They said they didn't dare try to retrieve it because there was a couple other boats nearby that were NOT shrimp boats.

In my four years I was never in the place and don't know anybody who was.

More than one run was to Buzzy's Roast Beef in Boston. The food was mediocre at best but they were open 24 hours. There was another place in Porter Square of equal quality. The clientele in the early morning hours was entertaining.

We frequented a chili place in college that was open until 3am. It was in the middle of a notorious stretch of strip bars and catered to the bar clientele, which was frequently the best entertainment of the night. There was always a "floor show", and the rule of thumb was if you couldn't identify it in five minutes, it was probably you. I watched a lot of floor shows, and provided a couple. Good times, baby.

Back