• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Garmin Astro GPS Tracking System

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Today I have a used Garmin Astro GPS Dog tracking system for sale.

The kit includes:

Astro 220 handheld
DC™ 30 wireless transmitter collar
Carrying case
AC Adapter for DC 40
Wrist strap
Manuals
CD

This unit is used. I am the second owner of this device and bought it here on TRF 2-3 years ago. I have used this tracker upwards of 50 times and have tracked flights to 36,000ft and 9 miles away with zero issues. This tracker has been through a shred at Mach3.5, and fallen ballistically from 10,000ft. All without ever missing a beat. This is a tracker for someone that wants to turn it on, walk away, and find their rocket without having to mess with a HAM license, waving a Yagi antenna around, or complicated computer interfaces.

I am selling this for two reasons. The first is that I have invested in a Beeline 70cm system and with a shiny new HAM radio I don't think I will use this anymore. The other is the damage(detailed below).

This unit is a tank and I have mounted this thing to shock cords, tossed in av bays, and in nosecone cavities, but on its last flight I had mounted it to the shock cord with the GPS taped lower on the cord (it seemed easier at the time) and by random chance when the nosecone separated at burn out I ripped a deep zipper and cut the cord in half, wanna guess where it cut the cord? Yes, right through the gps module cord. As you will see in the pictures the wire is made of two parts, the main wire and shielding. The new owner will need to reconnect the wire and reshield the wire. I do not want to do it myself because you will do a better job than me. HOWEVER, I can guarantee that when the wire is reconnected that the unit operates exactly as intended (receives GPS lock in a couple minutes and position data are accurate). The other modification to the transmitter is the antenna. The long stiff antenna was prone to breaking and indeed eventually broke, One screw holds it to the unit and an appropriate piece of flexible copper wire was added. That was about ten flights ago and have seen no performance issues since then.

The carrying case is in like-new condition and it holds the manuals and CD (never used the CD) and the transmitter and receiver very well.

Please see the photos below to confirm the condition everything is in.

The original receipt from Amazon is of $502 for the unit, clearly it is not worth that, but please make me an offer on the great tracking system.

Thank you very much for looking.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573717.311348.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573730.330949.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573740.078637.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573750.372428.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573759.326754.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573769.623452.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573780.388831.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1407573791.628747.jpg

Did you use this tracker in your big L3 Squat-o-Mania rocket? That one seemed like it might be really easy to lose.

s6

Latest posts

Back