Im alive and kicking,thank God!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I wasnt going to say much about it,but find it only fair to let TRFers know what happened to me last Thursday 7-31 as we are family in a very strange way...:wink:

Due to eating pain killers,IBU,motrin,Asprin,vicondon,ect like candy since April due to cronic lower back pain I suffered a MASSIVE GI bleed from a duodenal ulcer.
To ad to this ,I was already dehydrated from 3 days of diaria.
I came home from work early cuz I wasnt feeling well and had puked once at work(no blood at that time).
I got home at 2pm and laid down. I got up a few times and almost passed out each time I did get up.
Well, at 7pm I felt I had to poop.
I sat down and passed some blood. I remember saying,"Im in trouble" the next thing I knew I was waking up from passing out.
Me wife found me between the crapper and the shower with blood still coming out the rear.
I got back on the crapper and that's when all hell broke lose. I began passing more blood and then I started puking up massive amounts of blood.
Sandy called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance.
End result
3 days in ICU and another 3 days in reg room. I got out Wednesday.
They say I went into hemoglobin shock,had lost half me blood and because I was already dehydrtared,me body didnt have the fluids to pull back into my vascular system...bottom line.....I am VERY LUCKY to be posting this today.
I stiil have some issues they are concerned with.
Heart damage is formost.At this time it seems none of my other organs suffered any damage.
Im going for a stress test Monday and have appointments being made for ekg echo gram,ect.
I have to be vey carefull next 6 weeks with my diet.
Pysical activity is as I feel fit.
Im on iron pills,gut pills and anti stress pills.
They say my stress level is as important as my diet at this time. "CHILL"
Anywhoo,today I am alive and kicking and I am VERY GREATFULL to be alive. :D

Later

Last edited:
Oh my gosh...

Get better... We need the doggy on the forum...

Prayers sent.

More "alive", more "kicking" now - ok?

Yikes. Glad to hear you were treated and on the mend.

s6

Thank God your doing better! I know how bad back pain can be. I have 3 upper crushed verts, and 4 lower crushed verts, with a broken hip from a car accident 20 years ago.
My prayers go out to you for a complete recovery.

P.S.
Take it easy, do what the sawbones tell you, and get back out there and keep flying!

James

Thank God your doing better! I know how bad back pain can be. I have 3 upper crushed verts, and 4 lower crushed verts, with a broken hip from a car accident 20 years ago.
My prayers go out to you for a complete recovery.

P.S.
Take it easy, do what the sawbones tell you, and get back out there and keep flying!

James
Thanks for the prayers.
Thing heres is,I have had lower back issues for years.
Once in a while it would "go out" and the bone doc would twist and turn me and Ild be on my way.
I had gone 2 years without any issues and have not had to go to the bone doc .The end of last March I got in my service van and pushed my hips forward to pull my coat down behind me...WAM!!!!!!
My back went out and it hasnot been right since.
I have seeked medical help..MRI showed notta???????????????????
I dont get why I cant get rid of the pain. Its ok when standing and walking,but when I sit down for any amount of time it flares up.
Sometimes when I get up from sitting the pain is so acute it just about sends me to me knees.
Anywhoo..I have a new PCP and we are working on whats going on and other ways of pain management other than eating NSAIDS!!!!

Last edited:
Anywhoo..I have a new PCP and we are working on whats going on and other ways of pain management other than eating NSAIDS!!!!

Good plan.

Hopefully you don't have any long-term effects from the recent digestive trauma!

Docs have gotten a lot better at pain management. Hopefully they can help you find something that works that doesn't involve a daily pill regimen. Regardless, be careful with the OTC NSAIDs - you don't need a repeat performance!

-Kevin

I'm glad you're still with us. Take it easy and do what the docs tell you to you. Relax and build some rockets (I assume that this is relaxing for you, unlike golf :D)

I have seeked medical help..MRI showed notta???????????????????
I dont get why I cant get rid of the pain. Its ok when standing and walking,but when I sit down for any amount of time it flares up.
Sometimes when I get up from sitting the pain is so acute it just about sends me to me knees.

I had a herniated disk twenty years ago. Sneaky little boogers. They can be really tiny and are easy to miss (even on an MRI) if the doc doesn't know where to look. Mine was "big" and was only the size of your little fingernail. Or, could be a pinched nerve. Can't see those things hardly at all. Best of luck (and prayers) to you AND your medical team.

Glad to hear you're still with us!

Prayers for a Full and Speedy Recovery!
Jim

Thank God you are on the mend, and your wife was there to help when you got in real trouble. Your situation is unfortunately a good example of why everyone should discuss thoroughly with a doctor or pharmacist the potential side effects of any and all medications, OTC or prescription. These warnings are real, and even though a particular side effect may hit 0.01% of people that take a given drug, it's 100% from your point of view if it happens to you. I'm glad you have a PCP who is going to work with you to manage your back pain, and hopefully the root cause will be identified along the way. My wife had back pain on and off for 13 years, had 5 MRIs in that time, the first 4 showed nothing, but the 5th showed a herniated disk had pinched her spinal column down to 40% the diameter it should have been (sure explained the pain and numbness). Her back surgeon said that sometimes disks will slip in and out of nearly normal position until they finally tear to the point that they can't go back, and that before that point it can be a matter of timing seeing the offending disk by MRI. Once it was found he operated, and she woke up with complete feeling and no pain other than the incision. My point is, just because the MRIs to this point haven't show anything, don't stop advocating the search for a cause.

Take care, and good luck with the stress test and recovery.

Dang!
We're sure glad you have made it.
Chill out my man, just try think only pleasant thoughts. We'll keep you in our prayers.
Had my stress test two years ago. Hope yours goes well also:)

Thank God you are on the mend.
My point is, just because the MRIs to this point haven't show anything, don't stop advocating the search for a cause.

Take care, and good luck with the stress test and recovery.
Thanks.

"don't stop advocating the search for a cause. " That is great advice. I've learned and been told this last week that even the doc want people to be advocates of thier health.
When I was in the hospital,I told one nurse not to take it the wrong way when I questioned somethijng she was doing.
She said "Not a problem,I wish more people would be advocates of thier heatlh."
Dont want to get into it at this point,but there were a few mix ups while I was in.
Main one was my diet.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The dietician came in to take my food order,Im like WHAT?????
I told her the last I knew I was fasting till they took another blood sample to messure my hemo.
The doc wanted me-gut empty incase he had to scope it again.
She left the room and came back and said "Yup,your fasting".
Of all the things to mess up on.:gavel:

Last edited:
Wow! What a scary story! That is truly awful.

I'm glad to hear you are alive, but maybe lay off the kicking until you are better.

One thing that can make the back susceptible to injury is weakening and deconditioning of the core muscles. Muscles of the abdomen and back get weak and don't support the spine properly. Most of the times I've hurt my back, I've been out of shape.

Better man than I! I would have replied "I'm on the 'Dessert Diet'-Doc said I can have as many of those as I want". I have a pretty good poker face too!

Better man than I! I would have replied "I'm on the 'Dessert Diet'-Doc said I can have as many of those as I want". I have a pretty good poker face too!
The biggest thing that Ill miss (for some time) is my "SPICES"! I stocked up for the summer on, Zatarain's Blackened seasoning,Tony chachere's original Creole seasoning,Roasted garlic pepper,cajun seasoning,pepper this,pepper that,ect! I also have a garden full of different types of peppers,and tomatoes I cant eat at this time.
Oh well-a. Crap happens.

The biggest thing that Ill miss (for some time) is my "SPICES"! I stocked up for the summer on, Zatarain's Blackened seasoning,Tony chachere's original Creole seasoning,Roasted garlic pepper,cajun seasoning,pepper this,pepper that,ect! I also have a garden full of different types of peppers,and tomatoes I cant eat at this time.
Oh well-a. Crap happens.

I don't know what I would do if I could not have any seasonings on my food. No salt though, can't stand it, everything else BRING IT ON!!!!!

I've got an armload of O- I'd loan you, but the Red Cross won't let me. I lived too long in the land of Mad Cows... Hope your recovery goes well.

I don't know what I would do if I could not have any seasonings on my food. No salt though, can't stand it, everything else BRING IT ON!!!!!
Good thing Garlic,Onions and others (spices) are OK. Guess they are "Flavonoids" and actully help healing.

Wow, that's pretty rough.
Glad to hear that you are doing better, and sending thoughts and Prayers your way for good Health.

Thank God your feeling better..
Your health is nothing to mess with...
As long as your aware you'll only get better and better from here...
Prayers for you and yours...
Your wife had quite an ordeal as well...

Teddy

That story is truly terrifying.
Thank God you made it to help in time and the medical staff was able to treat it!
Take good care of yourself and continue to relax.

Back