best bang for the buck altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKeller

Reaction score
what do you consider the best bang for the buck altimeter for low and mid power? Jolly logic altimeter two?

Do you want deployment capability?

I think if it will fit the RRC2+ is the cheapest. If not you'll need an Altimeter One or Two.

I have a project I'll need deployment for, but in this case I want something I can use in any rocket.

+1 on the RRC2+! It's NOT cheap-it's INEXPENSIVE...LOL! If I didn't have altimeters going all the way back to the string and spool kind-they'd all be...no, that's not true...but I'd have more than 4 RRC2+ units!

More info needed. If you just want to know how high you got, there are several for around $40 - $45 that do that. If you want dual deployment, the RRC2+ is far and away the least expensive and very reliable.

If you want clustering, air starts, more memory, etc., then you pay more.

The eggtimer kit from https://eggtimerrocketry.com gives you 2 channels of barometric deployment for ~$40. You do have to have modest (a little above beginner) electronic assembly skills to build them. For me it was a lot of fun.

Since the OP mentioned low and midpower and "use in any rocket" I'll say the Jolly Logics are it.

If all you want is peak read altitude the Jolly logic device is hard to beat. The Perfectflite ARPA is rather sweet for a board type device.

The Estes Altimiter is a bit cheaper than the JollyLogic units, but I have seen mixed results, but have heard nothing but great reviews about the JollyLogic products.

Nate

what do you consider the best bang for the buck altimeter for low and mid power? Jolly logic altimeter two?

Several considerations here. Do you need it for dual deploy? Probably not. If you do, then not Jolly Logic 2. Do you want velocity? If so and no dual deploy, then definitely Jolly Logic 2. Jolly Logic two comes in a contained case and no extra need to protect from ejection charges. Hook it on and fly. RRC2+ is great alt. that is useful for dual deploy, but needs to be sealed to protect from ejection gasses, and does not report velocity.

wow, thanks for all the advice. sounds like I want a jolly logic 2 for my low power stuff. I will be building that darkstar mini as dual deploy so I'll be looking into the other options for that.

My favorites are Altus Metrum microPeak (the tiniest recording altimeter readily available in the US, dead simple to use and very dependable), PerfectFlite Pnut (a larger recording altimeter, but holds 31 flights' worth of data which is also simple to use and reliable) and the Jolly Logic Altimeter Two (new version) for all the reasons listed by others above.

Both of the first two require a computer (PC or Mac for the Pnut, PC, Mac or Linux box for the microPeak) and a separate interface device to access the recorded data, and they both much prefer being in a dedicated compartment. The AltimeterTwo requires none of these.

None of these do deployments, but the Pnut's cousin the Stratologger does.

wifey surprised me with another birthday gift, an altimetertwo:D I'll give it a try and next week's launch. still looking into what to use for the darkstar mini DD.

+1 on the Eggtimer.

TA

If one doesn't mind a kit, taking the time to read straight forward programming instructions, want an actual flight computer and don't mind the lack of a fancy interface program, the Egg Timer is a good prospect. Can actually do staging with DD by using the mirror output and a small addon board. The RRC's,
Adept 22'S AND Boris have some nice options. We're talking economical devices that can pulloff DD and not necessarily something that will tell you
how many G's it pulled or the temperature at 20,000'. For that it cost more $$$$. Kurt

Latest posts

Back