Maxi Mini Magg "Zip It Up" Mostly-Built thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Needed a rocket for L1 and L2 since my Nike Smoke got destroyed. Thought about buying a new kit, then got to thinking that I've got a whole rocket in the garage.

So I built a Mini Magg clone, and stretched it. I've got the fins glued in place, and I'm going to do tip to tip fiberglass on them.

IMG_1848.jpgIMG_1850.jpg

Braden

alright, Round 1 of tip to tip. This is how I like to do it....

I put masking tape at the ends of each side of the fin where I want the glass to end. When the epoxy is in the "green" stage I cut along the tape with a fresh xacto blade, then pull the tape off. Tada! Nice clean fiberglass lines.

IMG_1857.jpgIMG_1858.jpg

Braden

Is the pig destined to go for a ride in this? It's a nice-looking design. I have an appreciation of large-caliber rockets. What are the overall dimensions of this bulldog?

Is the pig destined to go for a ride in this? It's a nice-looking design. I have an appreciation of large-caliber rockets. What are the overall dimensions of this bulldog?

standard LOC 5.38" tubing and about 46" Long. 54mm motor mount. It feels very small compared to the Iris!

Braden

standard LOC 5.38" tubing and about 46" Long. 54mm motor mount. It feels very small compared to the Iris!

Braden
That's a Leviathan to me. But then to my eyes 3" tubing looks massive.

That's a Leviathan to me. But then to my eyes 3" tubing looks massive.

It's all relative! I know people that say 6" is just motor tube to them :wink:

Trimmed the excess away, after it cures fully I'll clean up the edges.

IMG_1870.jpg

Braden

Despite stretching it, the addition of weight from the fiberglass layup managed to lay the CG just a biiitttt too close to the CP...

carsandairfest 471.jpgcarsandairfest 472.jpgcarsandairfest 473.jpg

Yet...take a look at my signature :wink:

Braden

Airfest2 025.jpg

Weight was added to the nose and she flew straight as an arrow the second time! (actually my third L1 attempt, if we're counting). Before any jokes come out, Kevin is a respectable rocketeer and I was attempting to pay tribute to him, but I couldn't afford to do it with M motors :)

Huge thanks to John Clifton for letting me use his drill...and shock cord.....and retention clips.......and screws.........and motor adapter.

Braden

Back