What is a good first fiberglass rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Hi, all. I think my next build will be fiberglass (probably in the winter), but I have been paper-only so far.

I would be interested in getting a Level 2 kit that is basically buildable out of the box for my first effort. I don't have a lot of power tools, so I don't want something that needs a lot of tweaking to get it to fit together.

Any recommendations? Something you've built that was pretty easy for a first-time-glasser?

Thanks.

Lots of great stuff out there. Wildman comes to mind for great kits and good folk to do business with - check their offerings for whatever size and/or power range you are interested in. Another good option would be something from the Formula series by Rocketry Warehouse - simple and straightforward no frills kits at a good price that fly great.

Then there's a KILLER deal from GaryT (Blastcap) with the new Painkiller3. I haven't seen one in person or built one, but Gary does everything first class and it's a smokin' deal right now - would be a fine L2 flyer for sure.

Good luck, and make sure you post pics and stuff of your build.

s6

Have to have a 54mm rocket with a 38mm hole get dual deploy.I have a little dog from Wildman(thinkRocketry warehouse carries that rocket now) and love it Ive stuffed it with small H motors H-999, I 1299, Loki J-1001, KBA J-740. Love that rocket I just launched it last month with a I-59 little weak on power still got to 3400 ft. Or go with a 3" rocket

Have to have a 54mm rocket with a 38mm hole get dual deploy.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've got plenty of dual deploy rockets that fly 29mm motors, and it's certainly do-able with 24mm and even 18mm also. You can also easily go smaller than 54mm for a dual deploy airframe - again I've got a few 38mm rockets that are dual deploy and it's certainly possible to go smaller. Of course these wouldn't be L2 flyers, but the point is that you don't HAVE to have 54mm w/38mm motors to get dual deploy.

I do agree that a Little Dog could be a good choice for what the OP was looking for though.

s6

I would agree that the Wildman Jr/Little Dog or any of Tim's similar sized kits will make an excellent first foray into DD fiberglass.

Any of the Jr Wildman kits are great. These are all dual deploy capable which you are going to want if you fly on an L2 motor. If you go wider than these 54 mm kits, DD is not as critical, but still nice to have for bigger motors if you don't like long walks or don't use a tracker. Rocketry Warehouse Formula 75 and Madcow Rocketry 2.6" DX3 are about as simple as it gets for a starter 3FNC fiberglass kit. Personally, I started with a Madcow Piranha, which is not L2 , just to get the hang of fiberglass then moved to a Wildman Jr. The key to fiberglass is to be sure to dry fit everything and have a plan before mixing epoxy. Usually there is a fair amount of prefitting and sanding needed to get everything right beforehand.

I used to think this is bad, but now think it is good - the heads up is that the Fiberglass kits , there are things to purchase with it initially and no free chute (that increases the price of the kit)

IMHO you are contemplating a FG kit, retainer, kevlar bridal and epoxy. That is what is needed to get started . Then you will need a fin guide template, harness (shock cord), nomex , altimeter and parachute . I did a first time build with a 54mm Vindicator DD. It was a bit intimidating but CJ had written such a great assembly guide was broken down into steps and instructions I can work through . Also there are really great motor choices in 54mm .

If you enjoy getting out and getting the thing in the air, a stock 5 Jart or 'stubby' kit is a quick prep. If you are going are going to join the mile high club and go further then something more efficient with dual deploy capability .

Sales are good, they help get you into the bigger rocket - the Painkiller 3 is still at an intro price, both Madcow and Wildman have new V2s . Check with Wildman before jumping on a Painkiller, tell him it is the year of the Wildman ..he may have something brewing besides the minis and you can add a mini to your order.

Kenny

Do the Rocketry Warehouse Formula kits come with a 1" band of BT for the AV bay, or do you need to cut it off the airframe?

If the latter, how do you get straight cuts on FG with no power tools? I have a miter saw and a hack saw, but cannot combine the two.

The Formula 98 came with a pre-cut switch band. Was my first FG kit, first DD, and my L2 bird. 4" is nice and roomy, IMO allowing a little wiggle room to learn. Big enough I felt redundant electronics were a good idea, and fairly easy to find a place for it all. As pointed out, you will still be in need of all the recovery gear.

Do the Rocketry Warehouse Formula kits come with a 1" band of BT for the AV bay, or do you need to cut it off the airframe?

If the latter, how do you get straight cuts on FG with no power tools? I have a miter saw and a hack saw, but cannot combine the two.

If you ask for a vent band the seller may round one up or charge a token fee.

To cut a tube end is very easy to run a 1" masking tape at the end for a perfect 1 inch line, and saw or I have seen Fyrwrz Dave take a piece of angle iron or the Estes tube marking guide (plastic door frame) and tape it flush to the tube to allow the saw to run the blade against it as a guide to keep straight the blade straight while sawing..then move angle around to do a new spot til you work all around. If a smaller tube you can use a miter box.

Kenny

I don't think there's a bad FG kit out there. Not all have payload/av bays so watch for that if it's something you want.

Choice will be based on size motors you want to fly, and how high you want to go. Most will require adding a bit of hardware to finish. The dominator would be the most complete I can think of.

Last edited:
For a very first FG kit I would say anything from Wildman's mini line. They come with everything you need except a motor retainer (which could be left out-friction fit!) They are also very tough but go together very easily. I also have a Formula 38 I haven't built yet which looks like a nice kit. It just doesn't come with recovery, so that would have to be supplied.

Nate

I'd say in answer to the original question itself, that a Wildman WildChild would absolutely be the first choice. Especially right now with the sale happening - besides being an excellent kit, easy to build, tough as nails, and a GREAT flyer, they are also really good deal right now. For anyone else who might read this thread who is simply looking for "a first fibreglass kit", it's no question the way to go.

But the OP stated in his text that he wants an L2 flyer. So he will obviously want something bigger. Hence the recommendation of a Wildman Jr. (or larger), a Formula 98, a Painkiller, etc.

A formula 75 would also work. I have one. Weighs about 6 pounds.

s6 Thanks much for the kind words. For a 1st FG kit for L2 my PAINKILLER 3 would be perfect!
PK3-1_zpsdfebd88d.jpg

kit-pic-fp-detail3_zpsa7cea6d4.jpg

14546620865_f061193736_o_zpsd21afca0.jpg

For something a bit smaller but a great Combo Deal my PAINKILLER MICRO with FREE CTI 24mm 6G Case & Closure is also a great option

IMG_20140731_191758_575_zpsa010f4d0.jpg

A formula 75 would also work. I have one. Weighs about 6 pounds.

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

I just want to make it clear that I am already Level 2, I already do DD, I already know I need recovery and rail buttons and a motor retainer.

What I really want is something that doesn't need a lot of tooling, because I don't have a workshop or any big tools (table saw, drill press, etc.).

So I want something that won't need major tooling to build. I have seen numerous build threads where someone buys a kit, and then has to make an extra centering ring, or the motor tube is too short and they have to order one and then cut it down, or the fins don't fit in the slots and they have to power sand them, or the nose cone bulkhead is too big for the airframe and they have to grind it.

So if you have any personal insights into that, that is what I am looking for. "I have this kit. It could be built out of the box, all the parts fit with a little manual sanding, and I didn't need to cut or grind anything."

Thanks again.

Exactly for the Formula 75. The only extra thing you need is some all thread, and a sled.

Wildman and painkiller 3 the parts all fit well with minor sanding. Minor sanding being a relative term. A hand block with 60 grit will handle it, just a bit more work than wood. Wildmans CRs require very little sanding since he got the CNC. (For refrence I've recently built a 3" darkstar, 3" wildman, a mini eagle claw, have a painkiller 3 on the bench and the painkiller micro is on the way. The only RW kit I've built was a 4" lil rascal).

If you want a NC av bay for either you'll just need to order a few bulkplates (to be clear, that's a second av bay. They have enough for the standard av bay)

Last edited:
I've been happy with fiberglass fits from Wildman and Madcow. If you order from Madcow, get an extra centering ring so you can inject the internal fillets.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I would, considering the L2 requirement, consider either the Wildman Junior. It would rip an a J, and on mid sizes I motors will do 3500-3800 ( based on CTI I 175 and AT I 245g and altimeter data). You could also go to a 3" diameter Wildman Dual Deploy which comes with a 54mm mount. I have one in my winter build pile.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

My first FG rocket Was the Wildman 4" Darkstar DD. That rocket has easily taken any motor I have ever put in it!

What I really want is something that doesn't need a lot of tooling, because I don't have a workshop or any big tools (table saw, drill press, etc.).

So if you have any personal insights into that, that is what I am looking for. "I have this kit. It could be built out of the box, all the parts fit with a little manual sanding, and I didn't need to cut or grind anything."

None of the kits mentioned are particularly more or less demanding in terms of tools needed.

The one power tool you will want, and this is true of every one of the half dozen or so fiberglass kits I have built, is something to drill holes with. A hand drill does nicely. Vent holes, shear pin tap holes, holes for eye bolts, threaded rods; it seems you always are needing to drill another hole for something. The rest can be done with sanding and epoxy. I definitely get your drift on looking for a kit that avoids cutting and part fabrication. Building stock or having the vendor make anything extra you are looking for will take care of that. There are only a handful of folks that do FG kits and all the ones mentioned in this thread are great about making sure you get something that works for you. The parts will fit with a little sanding at most. If you go that route, you won't be doing any fiberglass cutting or grinding, so pick the kit that tickles your fancy and go for it.

The Wildman Sport on sale for $50 this month would be my choice right now for a first fiberglass rocket.

Joe

I agree with the RW formula 98. Nicely done parts and big enough for lots of motor choices.

The Wildman Sport on sale for $50 this month would be my choice right now for a first fiberglass rocket.

Joe

Just ordered mine this weekend. My first all fiberglass kit... Can't hardly wait

It's not my first fiberglass rocket, but I still bought two of them. They arrived on Friday and inspired me to start building the two stage Wildman Junior that I bought last Thanksgiving. I have a lot in my build pile.

Joe

Back