What is a good first fiberglass rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have build a Wildchild (Wildman Mini) with the only tools used being sand paper, a block for the paper, and a drill. (The drill was used in the dual deploy and others might not need it.)

I just received a Wildman Sport and wouldn't need any tools for a basic setup. I will probably go beyond that so that I can have electronics in the nosecone.

My only comment would be that I wish they would be a little more generous with the motor mount. While it is long enough, an extra half inch would sure be nice.

Whatever you buy, be prepared for the weight. FG parts are much heavier than cardboard. I have a Wildman Blackhawk 38, and the nose cone alone weighs a ton! Also, the CG of the nose is not on the longitudinal axis. There is more material on one side. The thickness is not consistent. Must be something related to the mold process, but it is annoying nonetheless.

My PAINKILLER MICRO is also on SALE! right now for only 63.99

PAINKILLER MICRO
Here’s what the kit come with:

•FREE! 24mm CTI 6G Case & Closure.
•5:1 Black VK NC, This seamless cone is an injection molded fiberglass filled polycarbonate material that is easily painted and is epoxy friendly.
•G10 Nose Cone Bulk Plate.
•24” 38mm G12 slotted Body Tube.
•8” 24mm G12 Motor Mount.
•(2) Extra wide G12 Centering rings for mounting Rail Buttons in.
•(3) 1/16” Black G10 TTW Fins.
•Vinyl Decal.

Features:

•All Fiberglass Design
•Single Deploy
•Light weight
•Almost 3 Feet Tall
•Approx. built weight 17oz
•Designed by “Gary T. Designs"

You can't get much simpler than a Wildman mini using the foam it and fly it method of construction. I flew my mini darkstar on an H54 this weekend and it held up just fine, BTW I think I am in love with that motor/rocket combination.

The motor mount in the Eagle Claw is mucho long. The fin-and-wings 6-fin design kind of drives that. (If only I had a 29mm case long enough to use all of that mount. That slick sucker would scoot.)

So how much motor can one have sticking out of the mount? It seems to me that booster length kind of determines the size of case one can use. The mount could be just half the length of the case as long as it pointed the motor in the general direction, no?

I have build a Wildchild (Wildman Mini) with the only tools used being sand paper, a block for the paper, and a drill. (The drill was used in the dual deploy and others might not need it.)

I just received a Wildman Sport and wouldn't need any tools for a basic setup. I will probably go beyond that so that I can have electronics in the nosecone.

My only comment would be that I wish they would be a little more generous with the motor mount. While it is long enough, an extra half inch would sure be nice.

So how much motor can one have sticking out of the mount? It seems to me that booster length kind of determines the size of case one can use. The mount could be just half the length of the case as long as it pointed the motor in the general direction, no?

I've flown motors a few inches longer than the MMT with no problems, I think you are right that as long as the MMT is secure you can fly long motors in a short MMT.

Latest posts

Back