Can a plastic nose cone hold up to M2?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codysmith

Reaction score
Hello, I, conman13, and blackbrandt, are planning a 38mm minimum diameter drag race at LDRS. I was just wondering if a plastic LOC cone that was foamed could stand up to the heat and pressures. Thanks!

Wildman's new one, 5-1 Von Karmen is a high temp plastic rated to mach 4.5 Now comes standard on all the mini's and Jr. size kits!

Plastic infused with fiberglass. This plastic is used in bullet casing for 30mm cannon & survives being fired at Mach 4.5 Also used in jet fight window/canopies.

They are easily epoxied & painted....hold both very well. These are for thin wall glass tubing.
Lighter than glass .... 19.95 for the 38mm...... The 54 is 24.95 [not a VK it's 4-1]

DSCN3374.jpg DSCN3375.jpg

AND no more inconsistency with wall thickness ....perfect every one.....every time.

DSCN3377.jpg

And for the first time shown ANYWHERE..... available in crystal clear! Price on clear is??? for now. Soon to be retailed.
DSCN3372.jpg

Last edited:
Need one in 2.56 inch..was going to break down and buy one from shockwave and they are closed .

Also big kudos on the clear ! We will own the night !

Kenny

At first I thought that the clear looked pretty bad, then I clicked the image. WOW!!! I need an excuse to do something with that.... Oh, yeah... I've got one (maybe). If only it was available in BT-60 sizes.

Wildman's new one, 5-1 Von Karmen is a high temp plastic rated to mach 4.5 Now comes standard on all the mini's and Jr. size kits!

Are they available ala carte? If so, where can I get one?

Thanks,
Mike

Plastic infused with fiberglass. This plastic is used in bullet casing for 30mm cannon & survives being fired at Mach 4.5 Also used in jet fight window/canopies.

They are easily epoxied & painted....hold both very well. These are for thin wall glass tubing.
Lighter than glass .... 19.95 for the 38mm...... The 54 is 24.95 [not a VK it's 4-1]

View attachment 180360 View attachment 180361

AND no more inconsistency with wall thickness ....perfect every one.....every time.

View attachment 180362

And for the first time shown ANYWHERE..... available in crystal clear! Price on clear is??? for now. Soon to be retailed.
View attachment 180359

Wow! How did I miss this?!!?!?

What sizes are available? Do you have a web link? Is the plastic polycarbonate?

Greg

View attachment 180360 View attachment 180361

View attachment 180362

View attachment 180359

Jim, are they sized for standard 38mm tubing, or the lightweight tubing in the Wildchild? I see you mention thin wall- just making sure we are talking the same thing.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Jim, are they sized for standard 38mm tubing, or the lightweight tubing in the Wildchild? I see you mention thin wall- just making sure we are talking the same thing.

Mark Koelsch

Thin wall, light weight tubing.....38mmm & 54mm........19.95 & 24.95 Yes they can be bought "Ala Cart" .

I don't know where they are located on Wildman site, just call and ask him or order. LOL

They are for the Wildman Sport series and Mini series of kits. Which are found under Wildman & "Sport"....."Mini" on his site.

Ask him about other sizes coming, I don't know.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowProducts.aspx?Class=463&Sub=1182

I want to see new tubing made of this stuff, might make everything else obsolete.

Last edited:
Jim, out of the same material as the nosecones? It could be interesting assuming the properties of the material lends to making a long tube out of.

Mark Koelsch

Back