Any experts on the Edmunds 'Deltie Thunder' here? I've got one that...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
...believe it or not I built maybe 15 years ago and have never flown. Time to correct this gross oversight! :grin:

It looks like I did a nice neat job of putting it together but the instructions are long ago gone and I'm wondering how to trim it in. There's a tiny amount of lead shot glued in right at the tip of the nose - I assume that's from the stock kit instructions. No other obvious attempts to balance/trim are visible.

Any suggestions on...

A) How to glide test/trim this beast before the first powered flight, and
B) Motor recommendations (D12-3? Don't remember)

...Will be most welcome! Hopefully I'll get this up in the air yet this summer and end its' long hibernation!

Thanks all,
-Carl

I think I have the PDF file. I can send it when I get home from work or take a snapshot of it and post it here. I plan to fly mine for the first time on Saturday...weather permitting. As always, we love pictures!

Cheers,
Michael

OK...I do have the PDF if you want it. The CG should be exactly 12.5" from the REAR of the glider. D12-3 is good. Instructions recommend the optional stiffeners where the fins meet the wings if you are going to fly larger than D motors.

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah, I'd very much like the PDF. Thanks Michael! Mind posting it here so others might use it too?

Not sure I added any stiffeners; will give a D12 a try.

Best,
-Carl

Hi Carl,

To my knowledge, I am not able to upload PDF files. If you want to PM your email address to me, I will be happy to send it to you.

Regards,
Michael

On the other hand...there it is. Now I feel like I have broken some type of rule. If so, please forgive me, Mods!

Cheers,
Michael

View attachment Deltie Thunder Instructions.pdf

Last edited:
Got it, many thanks!

And FWIW I'm unaware of any rule here about not posting PDFs? AFAIK it's perfectly all right?

also if you can find them AT F12-3 reloads are great for this rocket. I've had over an 8 min glide time with one

When trimming do you add weight to the right side(looking at it from the front) to make the glider do left hand turns?Seems I remember reading that somewhere.

When trimming do you add weight to the right side(looking at it from the front) to make the glider do left hand turns?Seems I remember reading that somewhere.

Mine was already heavy on the left...likely due to the variation in the wood itself. I had to add a little bit of weight to the right so that it wouldn't turn too sharply to the left.

I had two flights last weekend. The first was on a D12-3 to test the trim. That really isn't enough motor for this kit, in my opinion. After some VERY minor adjustments, she went up on an E9-6. It really needed an E9-4, but I didn't have any in the box. It was a really nice flight! When it turned into the wind, it would gain altitude and then drift in a gentle arc until it went back into the wind. I didn't time it, but it was a nice long glide.

Next time, I will start with an E9-4 and then maybe take oddman's advice and put her up on an F12.

Cheers,
Michael

Back