Oktoberfest - Las Vegas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly- I'm out. No more strings left to pull and I have to work. That only means I have to fly Springfest AND Octoberfest next year-right?

Sadly- I'm out. No more strings left to pull and I have to work. That only means I have to fly Springfest AND Octoberfest next year-right?

Yes that is exactly right....
That's the spirit Fritzy......

Teddy

Ah, fer cripes sake! I am still "pulling strings" to try and make it. But you not going now is one less reason (of many) to be there.

I've been in contact with the TRA Vegas to get the lowdown and here's the situation as it stands right now: they do NOT have 100% confirmation that these new dates are a "go" yet. If it DOES go ahead, they will fly Saturday 8am to 10pm, and Sunday 8am to 2pm, camping is still ok on the lakebed but there will not be any porta-potties, waiver is 10k' AGL with call ins to 14.8k' AGL (night launches to 5k' AGL). It does sound like the TRA Vegas folk are doing everything they can to make this launch happen, but so much of it is out of their hands.

It's pretty sure for me now that I'll keep the days off that I already fought for (which is this weekend) and attend the club launch in Salt Lake on Saturday. It's only one (relatively short) day of flying, a lesser waiver, no night launches, no vendors, a whole lot less other flyers and cool projects, etc.. The big bummer is that I will not be able to fly my latest creation (Swarmprince, that features a canted cluster of sparky motors) - y'all have been reading the "no sparky rant" thread yes?, well this is the club/location that started the whole thing. I also won't be able to fly a couple of projects that I was really hoping to, due to waiver busting. But hey, a launch is still a launch, no?

The one cool thing will be being there to witness Alex's (Aksrockets) L2 cert flight. I'm counting on you to make this a cool/special (and successful) flight, Alex!

Who knows though, Jean Lake MIGHT still happen, I MIGHT still go, and I MIGHT fly some cool projects there.
Dang, I wish Oktoberfest wasn't cancelled (sigh).

s6

The one cool thing will be being there to witness Alex's (Aksrockets) L2 cert flight. I'm counting on you to make this a cool/special (and successful) flight, Alex!

That's a lot of pressure for a stupid 3in rocket on a baby J!
My other project should be a little more entertaining. I'll make a thread about that soon.

Alex

That's a lot of pressure for a stupid 3in rocket on a baby J!
My other project should be a little more entertaining. I'll make a thread about that soon.

Alex

No better place to cert in! Tons of room. My Wildman Darkstar Jr. didn't even need a tracker on a J500G to ~7400 MSL a few Oktoberfest launches ago. Go for it!

Ok, I just got the official word from the TRA Vegas folk - the launch is on.

They got their FAA approval for go. They WILL be flying at Jean Lake on the 25th and 26th.

Now I have to figure out if I'm going or not (or more precisely, if I CAN go or not).

So, one more time - who's going to be there?
s6

Regretfully, dance card is filled - can't make that weekend work. See you at Springfest!!!!!

I just got an eMail from Dr Tubefin himself Larry Brand that he is going to stop by the launch Saturday. .had to inform him that launch rescheduled. He cant go the following week and asked if he could pop off some class 1 sub 125g/1500g flights Saturday the 18th

CaveDuck and I are coming out ..we enjoyed Springfest and have been looking forward to visiting again.

Kenny

In this constantly changing scenario, it now looks like........I AM going to be there.
This whole thing has gone back and forth and in and out so often my head is spinning, and at this point I'm not confident that it won't all change again between now and then, but for now at least I am "go for launch"!

This is what I'm planning on bringing/flying:
oktoberfest what I'm flying pics.jpg

(blame it on the) BlackStar - 3"x86" fibreglass, 54mm.
LOKI L-1400 White - sims at 11,400'

Raspulescent - 2 stage 64" BlueTube, 2.6" booster with 38mm, 2.1" sustainer with 29mm.
LOKI H-144 White to CTI G-125 Red - sims at 6300'
And/Or AT J-350 White to CTI H-210 Red - sims to 9000'
And/Or if I'm really feelin' it, and conditions are right, I'll go bigger (I've got sims upwards of 14,000' that I might go for).

Swarmprince - 4-way cluster, 3"x57" BlueTube , 1 central 29mm surrounded by 3 canted 29mm
3x CTI G-80 Skidmark plus 1x CTI G-64 Red longurn - sims to 4300'
(this will be the maiden flight, and given the 3 canted sparkies, the reason I need a dry lake bed to launch).

Tepes - 38mm x49" "Carbonite" minimum diameter
AT I-59 P (end burning Warp9) - sims to 9200'

LacSar KB - 4"x38" carbon fiber stubby, 54mm.
CTI I-100 Red longburn - sims to 5200'

ULAR 2b - 2.6"x58" BlueTube tubefin, 38mm
AT I-284 White - sims to 4900'

PKmini - 38mm x32" fibreglass, 24mm.
CTI F-30 White - sims to 1600'
And/Or CTI G-107 White - sims to 3300'

s6

Have fun, S6! I won't be there myself. We'll be missing you at UROC.

Alex

Yeah, obviously I'll be missing UROC this weekend to make this happen. I was really hoping to see you there, and to see your EXTREMELY cool body-tube-less new rocket fly. Not to mention witnessing your L2 cert flight. But the powers that be are only letting me off the leash for one weekend, and I really need that dry lake bed and two days of flying, so Jean Lake it is.

I tell ya, whoever thought up this whole "working for a living" thing was not a very nice person. sheesh.

s6

Opooooh the lanterns are so pretty-full!!!
Well, at least someone is enjoying the lakebed.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Turns out I can't make it next weekend after all. But, I'll be looking forward all winter to a killer Springfest! See you all in 2015.

Fr those that have been asking -

I will be there. I should get off work about 0200 on Saturday morning after a double shift and then I am going to get a couple hours of sleep before I start the drive up. I am planning on getting there by 1100 on Saturday morning and will camp Saturday Night.

For those that have asked about a second T.A.P. reach out to me via PM

Some of the Vegas Tripoli club members will be out Friday 10-24 to set up the launch site and launch low power Rockets. Would any of you coming be a TAP member? We have someone that would like to get his L3.
Thanks, Jim

With the possible cancellation of GHS, I might be attending after all. However, how do you do a multiday launch without any porta-potties?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
With the possible cancellation of GHS, I might be attending after all. However, how do you do a multiday launch without any porta-potties?

Go on a long retrieve or make friends with someone who has an RV. It is a big lakebed.

Just a quick (and possibly already answered question) . . . .

Are Research Rules in effect ?

I have not seen a Tripoli Vegas launch that *wasn't* under Research Rules.

CurtB, what say you?

Sorry to hear !

Are you hitting ROCStock ?

Kenny

I may. The jury (wife) is still out on that one. I would like to fly the new I65 in a MD if I can get there. But my big 10" rocket on the O will have to wait until spring...

The official word is out, Red dry lake is still a lake and GHS is cancelled. We will be coming to Oktoberfest. Probably arrive before noon on Friday. Having never been there before, I'm wondering if anybody will be out on the dry lake that early. Any advise?

I have not seen a Tripoli Vegas launch that *wasn't* under Research Rules.

CurtB, what say you?

Back from vacation, new granddaughter comes before any rocket launch... That being said, Thanks Mark and Jim for keeping all up to date as best as you could.....

The moved Oktoberfest Launch this Sat - Sun will be under TRA Research Rules....

Sorry for all the trouble this caused everyone and for this happening at all and working not to let this happen again... Getting along good with newest BLM Rec Manger... Springfest dates are locked in, third weekend in March.
I myself also have to work this weekend but will try to be out Saturday morning for a few hours.

Again like to Thank all for the help in securing new waiver, those of you who were keeping all updated as best you could and the support from all TRA and NAR members.

Again Thanks,

Curt Beasley
President Tripoli Vegas

The official word is out, Red dry lake is still a lake and GHS is cancelled. We will be coming to Oktoberfest. Probably arrive before noon on Friday. Having never been there before, I'm wondering if anybody will be out on the dry lake that early. Any advise?
Some of us will be on the Dry Lake Around 9:30 to 10am We are setting up the launch equipment and will be launch low power rocket to test things out. I don't known if anyone will be out Thursday night. I have a Sliver Jeep Liberty and a small trailer with my stuff in it. my phone will not work out there.
Jim

Back