Oktoberfest - Las Vegas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Mark lives in Hurricane.

You know that Hurricane and St. George are quite far away from Moab though, yes? Like 4 or 5 hours drive. I don't get down that way all that often. If you DO ever find yourself up in this area (Moab), definitely get in touch beforehand.

I'm trying REALLY hard to get time off from work to make it to Octoberfest. Not only do I want to fly there, and have a couple of projects that really need a launch like this to do right, but I'd love to meet y'all, Mark, Wayco, et al, at the launch. It's not looking very good right now, but I'm not giving up hope. If the stars align, I just might make the 7-8 hour drive to Jean Lake and put a couple in the sky with y'all.

s6

I live in hurricane. I will be doing quite a bit of work in Moab...

I just got back from almost a 3 week run there... I'll have to hook up with you next time we are out there!

Looks like I will be there for octoberfest!

I live in hurricane. I will be doing quite a bit of work in Moab...
I just got back from almost a 3 week run there... I'll have to hook up with you next time we are out there!
Looks like I will be there for octoberfest!
Alrighty! Looks Like I gotta get a vinyl order in!

Only a 6 hour drive. Hmmm....maybe, just maybe.....

Alex

Alex, you must go. My "being able to make it" is getting trickier and harder every day - just received another bit of bad news today in fact. But I'm still REALLY hoping to get there, and I'm beginning to "take extraordinary measures".

If I do make it, I'll be bringing a few cool things to fly, and one that I really need good video footage of - you would be just the one for the job. Think triple canted cluster of skidmark motors surrounding a nice bright red long-burn motor in the middle. Yeah, I definitely need good video of that launch. I'm also flying a two stage white lightning to red rocket - again, it would be great to have video. Don't you see I NEED you, man?

Plus, it would be cool just to see ya.

s6

Alex, you must go. My "being able to make it" is getting trickier and harder every day - just received another bit of bad news today in fact. But I'm still REALLY hoping to get there, and I'm beginning to "take extraordinary measures".

If I do make it, I'll be bringing a few cool things to fly, and one that I really need good video footage of - you would be just the one for the job. Think triple canted cluster of skidmark motors surrounding a nice bright red long-burn motor in the middle. Yeah, I definitely need good video of that launch. I'm also flying a two stage white lightning to red rocket - again, it would be great to have video. Don't you see I NEED you, man?

Plus, it would be cool just to see ya.

s6

Im saying a very tentative probably. It just so happens that the launch lines up with my Fall Break so I wont have school those days! I need a good place to get my L2 and maybe break M2 also.

Geez, S6 I haven't seen you in forever! Hope work hasn't got you bogged down too much. I'd love to see you out there. If I go ill bring my camera and you can bet I'll make you some great videos. Also got a 70-300 lens for my camera for some killer liftoff shots as well :grin:

Looking forward to meeting the rest of you TRFers too! (If I end up going at least). Hmm. First launch outside of UROC and Aeropac.

Alex

There will be a raffle, exact details to be determined, and here are the prizes at this time (expecting/hoping for more):

Always Ready Rocketry (may also attend) - TBD
Wildman Rocketry - $50 gift certificate
Spherachutes - multiple parachutes
Balsa Machining (will attend) - TBD (likely AT DMS motors)
Madcow - TBD kit
Missile Works - RRC2+ altimeter
Aerotech - Astrobee-D rocket kit (nice!)
OneBadHawk - TBD
Stickershock23 - 2x $40.09 gift certificates

TBD means the vendor committed to supporting the launch, but unknown in what way yet. Thank You to all the vendors supporting the launch with raffle prizes!

Last edited:
There will be a raffle, exact details to be determined, and here are the prizes at this time (expecting/hoping for more):

Madcow - TBD kit

TBD means the vendor committed to supporting the launch, but unknown in what way yet. Thank You to all the vendors supporting the launch with raffle prizes!

Mark. Of course I will donate a couple raffle prizes probably a couple $40.09 coupons! See ya there

Madcow - TBD kit

Mark,
Of course I'll donate some raffle prizes as well,,,
Some really cool harnesses...

Teddy

Cut/paste error...missed two vendors, updates made to the post above.

Thanks mark. Even got my typo in there! See ya there!

LOL, I thought it was an odd choice for an amount, but figured you had your reasons! I was trying to think of some Star Trek/etc or promotion significance and could not think of any. Perhaps it is just the proximity of the "9" to the "0"??

Thank you Mark,,
I sure wish I could go it's going to be a fantastic launch...
Just a bit of a far drive from the east coast.... lol

Teddy

Ok -- ROLL CALL! Let's see who's going to be there.

I'll make two lists - one that is "confirmed" and one that is "probably/maybe". Please chime in if you are coming and not yet on the list, or if you are showing up on the wrong list. I'll update this post as necessary.

Confirmed / Committed / Planning On It / Gonna Be There & Gonna Fly Some Rockets!:
- azheninger
- fyrwrxz
- Wayco
- Hardline
- Viperfixr
- DeeRoc29
- stickershock23
- KenRico
- robbdm
- terryg
- Rocketjoe13
- John Skuba
- Aksrockets
- rdbones
- Jay Dennis

Want to & Trying to but Not 100% Sure / Probably / Almost Ready to Commit / Thinking of Quitting My Job So I Can Be There:
- stealth6
- airobert

s6

Last edited:
I have a room booked at the Gold Strike that weekend..perhaps I should stop by the launch.

Kenny

What are the rules for the night launches? Are stobes required or are the 300 leds that two of my rockets have satisfactory? (my other two have flashing LED's in addition to static strip lights) Are clusters allowed? Any motor size or altitude restrictions? Looking forward to the launch and hoping for good weather conditions.

Last edited:
What are the rules for the night launches? Are stobes required or are the 300 leds that two of my rockets have satisfactory? (my other two have flashing LED's in addition to static strip lights) Are clusters allowed? Any motor size or altitude restrictions? Looking forward to the launch and hoping for good weather conditions.

At SpringFest some nameless flier flew M motor at nightlaunch..at the time he stated as long as it stays under 7k ft ..no problem.

TRAPHX is co sponsoring this launch, so more formal rules may be observed ..

Sounds like you are going to give the Warp Core Breach a run for its money ...

Kenny

Current waiver limits us to 7500' MSL for night launches, but no limit on motor size that I am aware of. Launch site is at about 2700' MSL. So, keep them under 4801' AGL for night launches.

As for the lights, as long as they are Tripoli & FAA compliant, you're good to go.

"a. Illumination: Rockets launched after sunset must conform to minimum FAA lighting requirements. All rockets launched at night must have illumination visible from the launch
pad, and visible during all phases of flight. This means that all rockets will have some
type of active illumination (chemical or electrical) visible externally at the time of launch.
The lighting should be visible from all directions. Reflective and phosphorescent
materials are allowed only as supplemental light sources. Additional illumination may
also be stored internally for deployment/activation with the recovery system."

Put me down as 90% fur sure going....
Mark, what is the actual day time waiver altitude and call in altitude? MSL/AGL. It has been suggested that the website in inaccurate...
Thanks.

when life happens, it bowls you over and it sucks...
i went from 100% going at the beginning of sept to 0% going as of 2 weeks ago due to an unexpected death in the family.

anyway, hope you guys have fun out there!

Ok -- ROLL CALL! Let's see who's going to be there.

I'll make two lists - one that is "confirmed" and one that is "probably/maybe". Please chime in if you are coming and not yet on the list, or if you are showing up on the wrong list. I'll update this post as necessary.

Confirmed / Committed / Planning On It / Gonna Be There & Gonna Fly Some Rockets!:
- azheninger
- fyrwrxz
- Wayco
- Hardline
- Viperfixr
- DeeRoc29
- stickershock23
- KenRico
- robbdm
- terryg

Want to & Trying to but Not 100% Sure / Probably / Almost Ready to Commit / Thinking of Quitting My Job So I Can Be There:
- Aksrockets
- stealth6
- airobert

s6

when life happens, it bowls you over and it sucks...
i went from 100% going at the beginning of sept to 0% going as of 2 weeks ago due to an unexpected death in the family.

anyway, hope you guys have fun out there!
Condolences, brother. You have the right priorities. Peace be with you and your family.

I am a NAR member and want to attempt a Level 1 certification at the Tripoli Oktoberfest 2014. How do I arrange to get certifiers?

I am a NAR member and want to attempt a Level 1 certification at the Tripoli Oktoberfest 2014. How do I arrange to get certifiers?

As you may already be aware, the following is required by NAR to get Level 1 certified in terms of outside observation:

Certification Teams
  1. The certification team consists of two individuals who are a minimum of 18 years old and are members in good standing of the NAR. The certification team members must be unrelated to the applicant. Members of Tripoli, unless they are also members of the NAR, cannot participate on a certification team.
  2. At least one of the team members must be already certified to a level equal to the certification level being attempted, e.g., a team member must be certified at Level 1 to judge another individual’s Level 1 certification attempt.
  3. Level 1 certifications may be administered by a single NAR Level 2 certified individual; the two certified individuals requirement is waived in this case.
  4. Certification attempts must be witnessed in person by the certification team. Video recordings of a certification flight are not acceptable.

So, your post is the start to finding those two NAR members (one at least L1), or a single L2 certified NAR member. I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one NAR L2 present at the launch anyway. I believe CurtB, our President, is a NAR L2 certified member. He certified my daughter last Springfest for her Jr L1.

Of course, another option is....to join Tripoli Rocketry Association! No possible problems there.

I'm an L3 and I'll be there at least Friday and Saturday... get a copy of the L1 NAR application and I'd be happy to observe and sign off.... Make sure I'm not out recovering.

I am L2 NAR and available as well. Look for the camp site with a lot of night launch rockets. :)

Last edited:
Back