Steampunked Rocket Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is my next steampunk. But I prefer to call this one "Junkpunk". It has (2) 24mm motor mounts. And again, they are fwd/mid mounted and canted. It flew great on (2) E-12s. The "rust blisters" were accomplished by putting wood glue on the rocket and letting it dry to get the 3 dimensional look. Then after it was painted, I applied "rust" paint over it to make it look like rust water had seeped out.

IMG_1423.JPGIMG_1422.JPGIMG_1421.JPGIMG_1424.JPGIMG_1425.JPGIMG_1427.JPGIMG_1428.JPGIMG_1429.JPG

Last edited:
I've built a few Rat Rods, one was a 1937 Dodge truck, the other I had a hand in building was a '29 Model A.

I certainly understand and appreciate the 'cobbled/thrown together' look. When I go to car shows, the Rats are what I seek!

Anybody can build a Camaro, it's when you see a Buick Nailhead poking out an International truck on top of an S10 frame with Jaguar suspension...with canvas seats, a sawed off shotgun shifter, and a fold down 27" LCD TV....??!

Love the Rat Rods, and I'm really digging the Steampunk rockets! Keep em coming!!

So here is my next steampunk. But I prefer to call this one "Junkpunk". It has (2) 24mm motor mounts. And again, they are fwd/mid mounted and canted. It flew great on (2) E-12s. The "rust blisters" were accomplished by putting wood glue on the rocket and letting it dry to get the 3 dimensional look. Then after it was painted, I applied "rust" paint over it to make it look like rust water had seeped out.

View attachment 280946View attachment 280947View attachment 280948View attachment 280945View attachment 280944View attachment 280943View attachment 280942View attachment 280941

Nice rust bucket, man!

A newbie as in building a Steampunked rocket, yes, but I've been on the forum a while. I took about a 2 year break from the hobby.

On that note, I will get the gears rolling. I have a rather creative imagination... Of the work I've seen, the competition is fierce! You guys have done some amazing designs!

A newbie to this thread thats what I meant ;)

Here is another ACME Spitfire I have in the works. Time to get some color on it....

IMG_20160115_150655_493-1.jpg

IMG_20160115_150702_583-1.jpg

IMG_20160115_150709_418-1.jpg

IMG_20160115_150716_821-1.jpg

Wow I forgot to post this here after the build--Bainbridge-- two stage, folding fins---not flown yet --way too much work or weather---IMG_20150429_170814.jpgIMG_20150511_102049.jpgIMG_20150511_102130.jpg

Here is another ACME Spitfire I have in the works. Time to get some color on it....

Wow. You even steampunked the display stand.

I think Jeff, who really insired a lot of us to try steampunk, is now feeling the pressure and upping his game. I like it. Everyone wins.

I think JEFF, who really insired a lot of us to try steampunk, is now feeling the pressure and upping his game. I like it. Everyone wins.

Now I KNOW you're not talking about me, but maybe I'll step up my game and try my hand at a 'punk ;)

Maybe throw some Rube Goldberg in there....

I meant Fatboy, but if the post causes you to step up to the (diamond) plate, then it's a double win.

FYI, I know "Fatboy". And he definitely isn't.

Actually I feel no pressure to up my game at all.... This isn't a competition, its a worldwide collaboration. That's why we all share our work here, discuss our techniques, and seek information and inspiration, and I am proud to be a part of this family.

This particular rocket was commissioned by a collector that wanted one after she saw some of our other rockets at a recent steampunk event where we were invited to have a display booth.

This started life as an Estes Mega Der Red Max PSII kit. Not quite Steampunk, but still fun to build.
Flies great on a good and smokey F53FJ.
IMG_4352.jpgIMG_4353.jpgIMG_4354.jpgIMG_4357.jpg IMG_0014.jpg

This started life as an Estes Mega Der Red Max PSII kit. Not quite Steampunk, but still fun to build....

Your add-on details are interesting. What are they?

Couldn't figure out how to mount the tank treads although it was temping :wink:

I use Gorilla Glue. I apply it using a syringe with a thin needle. It then swells. I recommend doing a few test beads of different sizes, then see what you like when it's cured. I am a big fan of GG. It is my go to for NC weight and other applications where its expanding properties are useful. On "Jules Verne's Revenge" (the copper V2 steampunk), I filled the soda straws with GG to stiffen them up. It's a quick cheap alternative to 2-part foam if you are working in small volume applications.

Last edited:
Grunge Rocketry.....

Man that is so sweet looking! I'm thinking for someone to come over from laser straight fins, wet sanding primer down to 2000 grit, and running sims to get the optimum mass for altitude, it would not be an easy transition!

Straight fins? No, they're -supposed- to be crooked.

HVLP 2 part paint system? No, deer hide and road tar.

Optimum mass? Yup, it's heavy!

Gotta love em!

Last edited:
Man that is so sweet looking! I'm thinking for someone to come over from laser straight fins, wet sanding primer down to 2000 grit, and running sims to get the optimum mass for altitude, it would not be an easy transition!

Straight fins? No, they're -supposed- to be crooked.

HVLP 2 part paint system? No, deer hide and road tar.

Optimum mass? Yup, it's heavy!

Gotta love em!

Speaking for myself, getting perfect results when "perfection" is the goal, is way harder than when "perfect" is defined by how imperfect it is. I discovered the Gorilla Glue weld bead technique by accident. And there are other mistakes I made that, with a normal rocket may ruin the look, actually improves the look of a punk rocket.

Here is my third 'punked FlisKits ACME Spitfire.....

View 1.jpg

View 2.jpg

View 3.jpg

View 4.jpg

If you ever need a movie to get the creative juices flowing for doing a Steampunk build?

I just watched the animated movie from 2005 entitled 'Robots'...

Very cool movie that gave me all kinds of ideas!

If you ever need a movie to get the creative juices flowing for doing a Steampunk build?

I just watched the animated movie from 2005 entitled 'Robots'...

Very cool movie that gave me all kinds of ideas!
The 1999 movie, "Wild Wild West", is also pretty good for that. You can find clips of it on YouTube. I was pausing every second to check out the steampunk on the mechanical spider. If you pause it, you will see details like 3d dirt/grime/rust and blistered paint. Lots of inspiration here.

[video=youtube;NHRtlXDOqOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHRtlXDOqOU[/video]

Last edited:
Yep... The spider was a huge inspiration to me before I even heard of the word "Steampunk".

Back