Steampunked Rocket Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRC

Reaction score
This thread is for all rockets that have been "steampunked"
Post your Pictures of your completed rocket that you Steampunked.

OK I'll be the first. Here's my Estes Mosquito.
Steampunk Mosquito 008.jpg
Just wanted to add that a lot of us who steampunked our rockets owe our inspiration to Jeff (FatBoy). He is truly a master craftsman.

X3 on Fatboy's inspiration! I have a feeling this thread will be awesome!!!! So many creative & talented people here!
Here is my Madcow Scooter named "The Steamship"
Picture 4829.jpgPicture 4830.jpgPicture 4832.jpgPicture 4834.jpgPicture 4835.jpgPicture 4825.jpg

Here is my meager contribution, a 3x24mm forward mounted cluster Mega Mosquito. Da' build thread.

14659506507_6ec1ba1103_z.jpg

14659507227_51da9b9078_z.jpg

Attachments

• 14659419908_a329c30dd0_z.jpg
    14659419908_a329c30dd0_z.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 14845695412_2f572eedbe_z.jpg
    14845695412_2f572eedbe_z.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 67
This looks like it'll be a fun thread to follow... I'd recommend that entries should be linked up to any build threads related to their creation.

Nice work folks!
Jim

Wow look at all the motor configs we got already. a 24mm, 4x18mm, 29mm, 3x24mm, I know there is also 18mm steampunked rockets out there(cough fatboy cough) lol I also seen a few other steampunk creations out there, hopfully all the steampunkers find this thread and post their pics.

Although the finishes are not tricked out like the other entries, they kinda fit here...the Raygun Gothic HoJo and Raygun Gothic Birdhouse. Both were inspired by the Raygun Gothic Rocketship that appeared at Burning Man and sat on display in San Francisco for some time. Both employed teardrop shaped wooden birdhouses from Michaels. The HoJo is 8x24mm and the other is 29mm.

raygunrockets 001 (Medium).jpg

raygunrockets 003 (Medium).jpg

rg hojo strap ons 001 (Large).jpg

rg hojo strap ons 002 (Large).jpg

the Frank-in-spaceman got me thinking about another sort of plain Jane model in the Que. Fliskit Buckshot.

This one got a lot more attention with rolled paper tubes, gauges, gadgets and things. Was also a fun build.

MM 383p01-Lg_Buck Shot Decal & Futured_10-10-11.jpg

My first one from 2009, a Golden Scout. Launched it and lost it.

Misc0021.jpg

Misc0030.jpg

Misc0006.jpg

An Astron Spaceman (Semroc version). It is hard to see but this one has little tiny rivets along the edges too. Those and some of the other little details are the 3D rivet decals from Mico Mark. Launched it and crashed it - decapitating him.

DSCF3009 - Copy.jpg

This one is based on a rocket design by Rick Vatsaas using disposable drink ware. The body tube on this one is a large paper coffee cup. The nose cone is the top half of a plastic wine glass. It is about the same size as a Fat Boy and costs about $3. Our local club held a build session where we put a bunch of these together. After I got home I added a few steampunk embellishments to mine....

4-7.jpg

What I like about seeing Jeff's posts from his first to his latest, is seeing the progression. He started simple, then grew his abilities. Nice work Jeff.

Wow very cool guys!!! Alot of impressive work!!! All very cool!!! From Mircos to 29mm motors.....so who is going to Steampunk a rocket with a 38mm motor? :y: :confused:

The closest I have to steam punk, is my Wallace and Grommit.

P4141211.jpg

PA100799sm.jpg

S3010018.jpg

Here's my first foray into Steampunk, and yes, I was another one inspired byt Fatboy's ACME'punk builds.
DSCN6153.jpg
DSCN6154.jpg

Obviously a WIP (well, just short of painting) and I learned one major point...
using a foam brush to use minwax on a small area does not work out well....Here's hoping my detailing ideas do....

Completed Pics:
DSCN6174.jpg
DSCN6176.jpg

Last edited:
Wow,, is this entire thread super cool....
You guys do such beautiful work on all of the details,,
I think the more detailing on this theme the cooler it gets...
I just built a rocket I named "SteamPunk"...
It has a wrap from Mark H at Stickershock that is super cool but not the
physical detail of some of the other work I saw in this thread...

I couldn't upload,, sorry..

Teddy

These animals are fantastic :) An inspiration for all. Thanks for sharing guys.

I promised I'd put this in here. First flight was a-- no joy-- due to winds.. Next attempt in March--IMG_20150128_183931.jpgIMG_20150128_183954.jpgIMG_20150128_184012.jpgIMG_20150128_184218.jpg there is another one in the works but totally different !!---HD

Oh my, I've just found the Steampunk section?!

I think I'm going to like it here!

As a newbie, you are assigned the duty of posting the next one. This gallery thread is almost a year old!

As a newbie, you are assigned the duty of posting the next one. This gallery thread is almost a year old!

A newbie as in building a Steampunked rocket, yes, but I've been on the forum a while. I took about a 2 year break from the hobby.

On that note, I will get the gears rolling. I have a rather creative imagination... Of the work I've seen, the competition is fierce! You guys have done some amazing designs!

A newbie as in building a Steampunked rocket, yes, but I've been on the forum a while. I took about a 2 year break from the hobby.

On that note, I will get the gears rolling. I have a rather creative imagination... Of the work I've seen, the competition is fierce! You guys have done some amazing designs!

What I like about steampunking, is some of my biggest mistakes actually make it better. "Perfect imperfection". On the V2 above, I used Gorilla Glue. As it expanded, it oozed out. What would be a bad thing on most rockets, suddenly became a weld bead. And an imperfect/slaggy one at that. There are many other mistakes that I've made that actually improve the look.

Back