Steampunked Rocket Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bronzish look was accomplished by spraying the entire rocket with Auto Air Sealer Dark (kind of a black airbrush Primer) then spraying VERY LIGHTLY Jacquard Metallic Solar Gold at an extreme angle towards the back. Too much Solar Gold would have made it way too bright, so you can spray as little or as much as you want until you get the final color you desire. Spraying at a sharp angle towards the rear gave more definition to the 3D features (like rivets) by leaving the bottom half dark. Afterwards I sprayed Model Masters Acrylic Flat Clear to remove any chance of shine before I antiqued it. The antiquing was just watered down cheapo black acrylic craft paint brushed on then wiped off with a paper towel before it dried.

This one is "kinda" steampunk, so it "kinda" belongs here. More pictures are in the ACME Spitfire gallery.

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_140034_774-1.jpg
    IMG_20160403_140034_774-1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 71
This is the same one from post #15 after making some repairs and a new paint job....

IMG_20160715_092906_078-1.jpg

was inspired to create my own (first) steampunk rocket based on the Estes Protostar. But FatBoy's rockets put mine to shame - he does a really great job.

Thanks, OC! Nice job on yours!!!! Are you going to weather it or leave it as-is? It looks sharp!!

Thanks, OC! Nice job on yours!!!! Are you going to weather it or leave it as-is? It looks sharp!!

Thanks Jeff! Your rockets inspired me to try my own hand at this - really love your stuff.

ordered some V2's and a Big Daddy to modify. As far as weathering, will test your brush on - wipe off method on extra tubes to see how that will turn out. As I get older, my eyes aren't as keen and the hands not as steady when hand painting. Had enough challenges placing the "rivets" on the Protostar.

Thanks again.

CZ inspired me with his fantastic V2
I had to see if I could pull it off
Ys10wgI.jpg

Build Thread
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/steampunk-v2.144711/

Back