First rocket build ever!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junkyard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This build thread is long overdue, I built my first rocket this last spring with the intention of getting my NAR L1 and L2 certifications at NXRS in Brothers, OR. I did extensive research and planning to pick out my which kit I wanted to build, and decided on the 54mm Tomach.

(here is the requisite bathtub shot :facepalm: )

However I love to modify things and I don't really like directions, so once I got my kit those were the first thing in the garbage :D . Now I knew I wanted this rocket to fly high and fast so I started with some aeropoxy ES6209 and glued my fins in place. Then did some carbon fiber and 2 layers of fiberglass tip to tip.

Since this is a minimum diameter build I got some of the rail buttons from apogeerockets.com and bent the flat nut to fit the outer diameter of the rocket and the glued them on and glassed over the lower one.

after that was done I glued a coupler into the top of my fin can.

and I used an aeropack screw on motor retainer to complete the fin section. However when I build my next minimum diameter rocket (L3) I will go with one of aeropack's minimum diameter retainers.

Now since I don't do anything half assed, and I wanted to use this rocket for my L1 and L2 I decided to go with a fully electronic dual deploy setup with a PerfectFlite StratoLogger. Since space is tight in a 54mm coupler I decided to design my own mounting sled and laser cut it.

since this picture was taken I mounted a 1 cell LiPo battery and a modified lever switch (will need to take a picture later) so I could use a pin to arm and disarm my rocket.

I used a drogue/ main layout very similar to how AlnessW did his L3: Nosecone > Main chute bay > Altimeter > Drogue bay > Fin section
and actually I took alot of inspiration from his L3 rocket, for instance I copied his nosecone bulkhead attachment method

once I finished assembling everything it was time to test the ejection charges. My first test was to make sure that my altimeter and battery had enough juice to fire the ematches I was using, which was a success. The next test was to make sure that I could separate the parachute bays. Using a black powder calculator I found online I determined that .5g for the drogue bay and .7g for the main bay would be enough. well I was wrong:

I ended up settling on 1.3g in the drogue bay and 1.5g in the main bay, which certainly gave it some gusto getting those chutes out.

after all the time I spent (about 3 months) putting this rocket together I finished just a few days before NXRS, so I didn't have any time to paint so this is what my rocket looked like on launch day.

I flew twice that day, the first launch was on an I245G

and the second was on a J350W

SUCCESS!!!

I was in fact able to get my L1 and L2 certifications at NXRS with apogees of 1657ft and 3836ft respectively. So thanks to Wilson for his support and signing the paperwork for my certifications.

But that is not all... I launched my rocket again with a fancy new paint job on July 27th at the PSAS pickup launch in Brothers on a K250W with an apogee of 15,372ft AGL!

I am so happy with how my launches have turned out and I have one more (so far) planned for September on a K375NW projected to be about 13000 ft apogee.

:surprised: Dude ! Congrats on the L1/L2/mach+ on the K250 ? Now go build an Estes Alpha and fly it on an A motor like I advise most newbies to do ! :eek: :cheers:

yeah that K250 got it up to 1250 ft/s at approximately 4000ft AGL (9000 ft MSL) meaning mach 1.27 ish.

Congrats!:clap:
It's extra awesome that this was your first Rocket.

Are You Serious?!?!?!?!? You haven't built even ONE LPR? And here I am thinking I am awesome because I went from C to H skipping D,E,F, And G motors.

Are you serious that this was your first rocket EVER? As in, you never built a rocket of any kind before in your life? Wow! You're one to jump in with both feet! You built a more advanced rocket than I have ever even considered building on your first try!

Most people start with something like this:

est1403.jpg

BTW, I was just through your part of the country about a month ago. Spent a few days in the Bend area and visited Sisters. I like Bend a lot!

Congrats on both of your certifications! I love the paint job, the Tomach is next on my build list.

Well done Jeremy!

Yes, you all are reading this correctly - this was his FIRST rocket, never flew low or mid-power once before. As if that wasn't good enough he had to jump straight into a high-performance minimum diameter bird with fully electronic deployment. WOW!

I had the pleasure of being Jeremy's mentor throughout this whole process - everything from choosing a rocket kit, to build techniques, to helping at the pad and with recovery efforts. Like he mentioned, several of the build techniques and rocket "layout" were based off of how I did my L3. (But of course those weren't my original designs, either!)

Since Jeremy opted to certify with NAR, this meant I could witness and sign off on both his L1 and L2 certs. Both worked flawlessly.
I loaned him my BRB900 system (as well as my tower) for the K250W flight so we could get it back, which proved to be very wise. I also had the honor of pushing the button! Easy recovery less than 2 miles from the pad.

Indeed, after seeing his tip-to-tip job on the fins I'd like to do that exact same thing with a Tomach myself - maybe for a winter build...?

Congrats again!

Are You Serious?!?!?!?!? You haven't built even ONE LPR? And here I am thinking I am awesome because I went from C to H skipping D,E,F, And G motors.

Haha me too

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Well done Jeremy!

...I had the pleasure of being Jeremy's mentor throughout this whole process ...

Well then congrats to you too, Wilson. It's nice to know he had a LITTLE help with this thing ! :) We all bring a unique set of skills and experience to the hobby and this thread is a good reminder that there are many paths to rocketry enlightenment. Good show ! BTW you boys have an awesome range up there.

Last edited:
That is incredible! I've been into rocketry for like three years, and am just now trying electronics and fiberglass! Congratulations on both certifications as well as mach+ 1/2 miles! That's really a massive achievement, let alone on your first rocket!

Nate

love your 'tude! great build and great flights. second rockets gonna be a bitch! keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

yeah that K250 got it up to 1250 ft/s at approximately 4000ft AGL (9000 ft MSL) meaning mach 1.27 ish.
Really well done. Congrats and the L1 and L2. Great flights and machbusting on a K250 is cool, and more impressive considering your new to the hobby.

Just an FYI. I'm pretty sure you overestimated the mach number a little bit. A velocity of 1,250 fps is more like M~1.15 at @ 9000' MSL. This atmospheric calculator is a great way to do the conversion. https://www.aerospaceweb.org/design/scripts/atmosphere/

Bob

Well then congrats to you too, Wilson. It's nice to know he had a LITTLE help with this thing ! :) We all bring a unique set of skills and experience to the hobby and this thread is a good reminder that there are many paths to rocketry enlightenment. Good show ! BTW you boys have an awesome range up there.

You bet! And yes, we have an awesome launch site indeed - nothing but sagebrush for miles.

As a ULA mentor you can go 1-2-3, bang, bang, bang straight to the top and the company will pay for it! So kids, stay in science and math because the Liberal Arts just will lead to dead end jobs in the FIRE (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate) and wishing you had the cash for real high power achievement and prestige.:sigh:

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words! And I suppose that this being my first rocket is a slight exaggeration... when I was 8 my dad built me a small rocket (presumably an Estes kit) and it got stuck in a tree in the front yard on it's first flight.

as for my next rocket, it will be my L3 rocket. And I am planning a 98mm minimum diameter with Wildman Darkstar style fins. Ultra temp epoxy, vacuum bags, and curing ovens will be in my future, possibly even aluminum leading edges for the fins. oh and lots of carbon fiber. then once I am done with that I think I might try to tackle one of these bad boys... https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/air-rockets/001908-rocket-startm-air-rocket-launch-set

Congrats, Junkyard. I'm not too thrilled with someone's first launch being an L1 attempt (we've seen some less-than-perfect flights by multiple members of a collegiate rocket club doing this) but it sounds like you did much better than all of them. Moving on to L3 may be a good next step for you.

While it's a good chuckle to talk about the air-powered rockets after that, why not try the NAR NARTREK program? If extreme speed and altitude is all you are looking for, this won't be of much interest to you but if your up for some challenges that won't break the bank it's worth looking into.

Whatever you do, enjoy.

as for my next rocket, it will be my L3 rocket. And I am planning a 98mm minimum diameter with Wildman Darkstar style fins. Ultra temp epoxy, vacuum bags, and curing ovens will be in my future, possibly even aluminum leading edges for the fins. oh and lots of carbon fiber. then once I am done with that I think I might try to tackle one of these bad boys... https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/air-rockets/001908-rocket-startm-air-rocket-launch-set
Time to start talking with some TAPs or L3CC members! :)

Congrats, Junkyard. I'm not too thrilled with someone's first launch being an L1 attempt (we've seen some less-than-perfect flights by multiple members of a collegiate rocket club doing this) but it sounds like you did much better than all of them. Moving on to L3 may be a good next step for you.

While it's a good chuckle to talk about the air-powered rockets after that, why not try the NAR NARTREK program? If extreme speed and altitude is all you are looking for, this won't be of much interest to you but if your up for some challenges that won't break the bank it's worth looking into.

Whatever you do, enjoy.
I too have seen similar things happen with L1 attempts before.
Back in my early days of low-power rocketry I took a look at the "NARTREK" program (as well as TARC, actually) but it didn't tickle my fancy for the kind of stuff I was interested in.

Back