My Madcow 4" Phoenix Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tested the pyro ejection today with the help of a fellow rocketeer. The first test was with 1.5g of ffffg BP. This proved to be a bit much!

[video=youtube;Xg1EoZFQcUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg1EoZFQcUY[/video]

The second test used 1.0g of BP and worked great. This reassures me that the motors will also be able to eject the parachute safely with the 3 shear pins as their charges would be either 1.2g for the 29mm or 1.3g for the 38mm motors.

[video=youtube;zJCn4ydkL_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJCn4ydkL_k[/video]

Rex - I agree on the dark matter. I've got a CTI classic for my J but I have a Smokey Sam for an I which I am really looking forward to seeing in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The more I look at this kit, the more I am liking it. Well done with your mods. Good luck with the flight!

I applied the decals today along with a sheet I had printed myself. It didn't dawn on me until it was too late that the decal sheet that comes with the kit are vinyl stickers instead of water slide decals. The vinyl just doesn't look as good when applied to the rocket. If I were to do it again I would have scanned the sheet and printed it onto Testers clear water slide sheets. FYI for any future builders.

My rocket is now complete! I am looking forward to seeing her fly on Saturday and completing my level 2 certification.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409698384.726128.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I flew the rocket on a CTI I287 during the MC2 launch in Manchester, TN on Sept 6, 2014. Enjoy!
My level 2 certification launch on a CTI J330 will hopefully take place this coming weekend on Oct 4th. Wish me luck!

[YOUTUBE]M-YfUZ1HchI[/YOUTUBE]

Onboard video - 808 camera mounted next to the motor!

[YOUTUBE]wI7MJ7gnlqk[/YOUTUBE]

And some nice photos taken by my niece.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg

Last for tonight was a test of my guillotine fin alignment guide. Note that I have to give kudos to original creator of the guillotine fin jig but this design was just not going to work the way I wanted it to for this build - so I built my own version with my needed modifications - adjustable length, removable guillotine, and capable for use in building any diameter rocket up to 5.5". While I am proud of the modifications, I have seen the touchy threads on TRF concerning this tool and so please note that I have no intention to sell this, make it for others, give out plans, or anything else. Feel free to gander though...

View attachment 180093

Overall not bad for 2 days progress!

Hello Martin,

I just saw your rendition of my jig design wish to thank you for having the class to for giving "kudos" to the original creator...me. My original product has evolved since 2011 but still functions the same. At one time I had considered making something similar to what you crafted, that is, adjustable for length. I'm sure you appreciate the value of my design and I am flattered by your appreciation.

I also wish to say that I have no objection to anyone who wishes to make his/her own version of this device so long as their motives are pure and they give credit where credit is due. In fact, I still sell a PDF of the basic design criteria that anyone with the requisite tools and skills can use to produce this device for their own personal use and enjoyment. I've been told that the $12.00 US that I charge for a copy of my design is a bargain, and that offer still stands. :D

Almost forgot about this build. Looks like the Phoenix turned out great. Nice job!

Unfortunately my Phoenix is currently hanging up in a tree about 100 ft off the ground. Hopefully I can recover it this spring but I am pretty sure it is destroyed by now.

Oh no! Happened to me and my son over Thanksgiving, although it was just an Estes Amazon...

I then had to make a new bottom for the nose cone. My first attempt at using the lathe failed. I had actually purchased the lathe for my wife about 10 years ago since this was something she had loved to do in one of her college classes. This is the first time it has been used! :facepalm: I had apparently been using the wrong tool and she got the disk made perfectly for me.

View attachment 180082

What a great wife you have there!

Unfortunately my Phoenix is currently hanging up in a tree about 100 ft off the ground. Hopefully I can recover it this spring but I am pretty sure it is destroyed by now.

Sorry to hear of your loss. She was a fine looking bird!!!

Back