Q2G2s OUT of PRODUCTION ????????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Words have a different meaning in eBay ads. For example, "rare" means that you can purchase it from Amazon.com at a much lower cost. "Antique" usually means "junk." "Mint" means that it wasn't completely destroyed in the flood. And so on ....

Anyway, in this case "OOP" means that while Quest is out of them right now, the company has stated that they will be available again in a few months.

-- Roger

Wait. What? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It can't be true! Tell me its a joke, please.

Heck, I've still got a few left - tell you what, I'll make you a MUCH better deal than that listing asks. How about ONLY $49.99 for a package of six? I'll even ship for free.
But hurry, this offer won't last long.

s6

(you do know I'm kidding, yes?)

Q2G2s have been OOP for awhile as the old stock leaves retailers shelves. Must get rid them so they would not have to be recalled do to new regs designating them as explosives. Separate packs of igniters are a thing of the past. New ones will only come with motor packs and will the pryogen be the same or as much? We will see in October at the earliest. Until then it is STARTER time.

These are out of production, and IMPOSSIBLE to find!!! Perfect for all black powder motor applications.
.... Impossible means, first you have to find your range box, and open it. Oh look, there are a few in there reserved for BP only use. The Orange wire fireworks ignitors that are popular now seem to work very well for composite, or deployment.

I always laugh when things that are popular solely for being cheap and widely available become hard to get, and people think the value somehow goes up.

I always laugh when things that are popular solely for being cheap and widely available become hard to get, and people think the value somehow goes up.
People act on the fact that there is one born every minute - maybe two...

This is a great trend! Pretty soon I can trade a roll of thermalite for a new car. Or maybe a house.....

That would be sweet. Don't need another house though. Hopefully, the house would be less crumbly than the old thermalite!

If I still have my Q2G2s (short ones) by Red Glare (given it is early enough), I may take my stash down to off load them.

The Q2G2s are being reformulated to confirm with new BATF regulations. According the vendor talks at NARAM the new ones will take slightly longer to light. I will be satisfied if the are as reliable in igniting BP cluster as the original ones were (never had one fail).

Last edited:
Yea, this guy is an idiot. I sent him a message saying price is outrageous and they are back in production. What a joke.

The Q2G2s are being reformulated to confirm with new BATF regulations. According the vendor talks at NARAM the new ones will take slightly longer to light. I will be satisfied if the are as reliable in igniting BP cluster as the original ones were (never had one fail).

Well, if they're as worthless as the new Estes "starters" appear to be (by all reports) then so much for that...

later! OL JR :)

The new Estes starters have not failed me at any greater rate than any of the older variants of the "solar igniter". I will reserve judgement on the reformulated Q2G2s after I have a few to try. Bill Stine was pretty clear in his talk at NARAM that they are aiming for them to be as reliable as the current ones but they want to get ahead of some pending regulation enforcement :( .

At my current launch rate, my supply of solar ignitors will last me until after my retirement. :(:facepalm:

Besides being a ridiculous price and a violation of ebay's selling restrictions... Why would you believe something like this off of ebay???

Just for those that really want some of these igniters.... buy a couple of packs of Quest motors! Far cheaper than this price gouger is trying to rip you off for!

Jerome :)

Besides being a ridiculous price and a violation of ebay's selling restrictions... Why would you believe something like this off of ebay???

Just for those that really want some of these igniters.... buy a couple of packs of Quest motors! Far cheaper than this price gouger is trying to rip you off for!

Yep... buy Quest motors, keep the ignitors, throw the motors away... (or give them to someone you don't like). LOL:)

Seriously, I'm kidding somewhat... Quest motors are okay, so long as you don't mind everything being sooted up and keep them in light, streamlined rockets, and pack your recovery gear so it will be ejected by their "flea fart" ejection charges so it doesn't lawn dart...

Later! OL JR :)

https://www.pyrodirect.com/Category/Firewire_Initiators

I believe these are low-current initiators, but I haven't seen the no-fire/all-fire data.

Greg

I did turn up something posted to a pyro forum but the one thing not stated (it almost never is) was the time. The all fire current for a 100ms pulse will almost certainly be less than for a 10ms pulse.

Also of interest is the all fire energy. Some altimeters use a capacitor to fire the outputs so have limited energy available.

Yep... buy Quest motors, keep the ignitors, throw the motors away... (or give them to someone you don't like). LOL:)

Seriously, I'm kidding somewhat... Quest motors are okay, so long as you don't mind everything being sooted up and keep them in light, streamlined rockets, and pack your recovery gear so it will be ejected by their "flea fart" ejection charges so it doesn't lawn dart...

Give them to me! I fly them all the time!

They have a bit more soot... sure.. but they are louder and have more smoke as well. At our local launches I like to see all the newbies jump after a couple of dozen "woosh-pops" of Estes motors going off the pads and the little roar the Quest motors give, gets their attention!

You should have some paper towels and/or baby wipes in your range geart anyways. The soot cleans off. lol

Keep your B & C birds under 4 oz and you'll be fine. In fact, I think that's the Estes limit as well... yup.. B6-4, C6-0, C6-3 and C6-5 are all maxed out at 4.0-oz. Estes and Quest.

Flea fart ejection??! Haven't seen that happen. The kids and I have launched a few dozen this past year.... no issues!

Seems like you may have had a bad batch. When was it that this all occurred?

They have a bit more soot... sure.. but they are louder and have more smoke as well. At our local launches I like to see all the newbies jump after a couple of dozen "woosh-pops" of Estes motors going off the pads and the little roar the Quest motors give, gets their attention!

You should have some paper towels and/or baby wipes in your range geart anyways. The soot cleans off. lol

Keep your B & C birds under 4 oz and you'll be fine. In fact, I think that's the Estes limit as well... yup.. B6-4, C6-0, C6-3 and C6-5 are all maxed out at 4.0-oz. Estes and Quest.

Flea fart ejection??! Haven't seen that happen. The kids and I have launched a few dozen this past year.... no issues!

Oh, awhile back... Bought a mess of Quest motors, some guys at the club launches were talking about them but nobody tried them yet. I ordered a mess of them and gave one to a buddy to fly in his Estes rocket... When it came back, the motor had gotten SO hot that the white paper label on the Quest motor had turned a chocolate brown-- it "carmelized" the paper! The casing was also burned paper-thin from the inside... you could squeeze it and feel it "mush" beneath your fingers... It also partially melted the plastic motor retainer and "welded" itself into retainer... The plastic had cooled enough to "resolidify" and a sharp smack on a table dislodged the casing from the once-molten plastic. I carved the casing open with my pocketknife-- it was only about maybe a millimeter thick, and SEVERELY charred and eroded on the inside.

I flew some on my own rockets, and had two lawn darts out of three tries... packing the chute and wadding like I normally would with an Estes motor, I found that the Quest motors had only enough "oomf" at ejection to dislodge the nosecone-- not push the laundry out to dry... hence the lawndarts. When they DO get the laundry out, the sooting on the tube of a white rocket is BAD...

After all that, I pretty much decided to just fly the Quest motors in garbage rockets that I don't care about... So basically I don't fly them very often at all... Got a box full of them but don't trust them in any rockets I care about...

I got some of the first Chinese C6-5 motors sold by Quest at NARAM-50 and I had the extremely weak ejection charge (and I mentioned it to Bill Stine). This was many years ago and AFAIK, all of the newer Chinese motors have better ejection charges.

Just because something happened years ago, does not mean it is still occurring or an ongoing problem. When we inform a manufacturer of a problem, they almost always address it to resolve the problem.

I still have about 100 Q2G2 on hand and a few hundred packs of Estes pyrogen tipped Solar igniters. I also have well over a mile of 30, 31 and 32 ga nichrome wire which is what i use for most of my motor starting. I can make the little loop using a straightened paperclip and install them in advance and they can be safely stored for any length of time. The newbies at our launches love when I do the nichrome wire demo and it turns into red hot molten metal before their eyes.

BTW, I like the nichrome wire for single motors but have clustered with it with a car battery, but I use the Estes Igniters for small clusters and Quest Q2G2 for large clusters.

Many years ago, Estes sent 50 bare Solar igniters to every NAR Section to test out to see if average folks and beginners could use them without problems. We were also encouraged to try them in clusters. We had ZERO misfires, including clusters. All were installed with the normal plugs.

Modern motors are slightly different. The centerbore in the current B6 Estes motors is amazingly shallow, so installing the starter and the plug can result is a bit of a 'crunch' to the tip. As long as it is not twisted, it should still work fine. If it is installed sloppily, the larger wires can be crunched together and short, preventing the bridge wire from heating up.

has anyone testes a new Starter in a vacuum to see if the coating will burn (which would indicate it has some sort of oxidizer)? I tested one in plain air and the bridge wire heated up and the coating slowly smoked and caught fire, but that couold have been because of the atmospheric oxygen - inside a motor nozzle with the plug in place it might just smolder.

If anyone test this, post the results in a new thread. I would ask Estes but I will assume it is a trade secret formula....but my assumption could be wrong.

Last edited:
Back