Scale for measuring BP?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I use:

My Weigh DuraScale D2 300

durascale-d2-0.01.jpg

It's been very beatable, held it's accuracy and (as cheesy as the name sounds) buying through Old Will Knott Scales was a breeze.

All the best, James

I just used the centrifuge tubes that come with AT reloads. 1 full, 1.5, etc.

I bought a digital scale on ebay that seems nice. 2Kg with 0.1 gram for $6-7 shipped. Takes AAA batteries. I have old ones that take the 2032 button cell batteries. Those died quick, were tough to find until I ordered a bunch online. Would look for something that takes AAA for cheap, readily available batteries.

This is what I bought. Haven't tested it out too much yet. YMMV:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271533616757

Last edited:
Why use a scale when you can use Lee or even AT tube to measure it ? Lee are so simple , you deep it in the powder and voila

I have 5 scales in my rocket shop and I still measure BP with Lee, beside no need to carry the scale on the field

True. I use scales for research motors and epoxy. Never bothered for BP. With my muzzle loader I even use a volume measure you adjust for however many grains of powder.

True. I use scales for research motors and epoxy. Never bothered for BP. With my muzzle loader I even use a volume measure you adjust for however many grains of powder.

I agree, a scale is overkill for BP. You just need a convenient adjustable grain scale like below. Very quick/easy.

$_57.JPG

When BP is used in firearms it is always measured by volume, not by weight.

When reloading large quantities of ammo, yes, I used a powder "thrower" to measure out the propellant. And those tools do indeed dispense according to the volume that you set. But you adjust the volume (carefully) to measure out a specific weight of propellant.

And if you are reloading cartridges for ultimate accuracy, among all the other tedious little steps, most people use a powder trickler and a scale to dispense an exact desired weight of propellant for each individual shell.

For purposes of measuring ejection charges, the Lee-style "scoops" work just fine.

Just my nickel's worth - go with an Ohaus triple-beam balance. Always accurate, rugged, dependable, and easy to maintain. They will last a lot longer than any digital scale, and are far less likely to need recalibration.

I have both a triple beam balance and digital scales of various flavors. For accuracy I always use the triple beam, and the digitals when I can afford a little 'slop'.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee dipper here. I got my Lee dipper 15 years ago as part of a package of an aluminum charge well, Lee dipper, and small wooden tamper . . . I forget which rocketry vendor sold them.

Just my nickel's worth - go with an Ohaus triple-beam balance. Always accurate, rugged, dependable, and easy to maintain. They will last a lot longer than any digital scale, and are far less likely to need recalibration.

I have both a triple beam balance and digital scales of various flavors. For accuracy I always use the triple beam, and the digitals when I can afford a little 'slop'.

Kevin

I use the black powder caps from aerotech loads. But I have the good old triple beam for epoxy still going strong after over 30 years use.

I use the vials that the powder in AT reloads comes in for BP. For Epoxy, I use the 50cc liquid medicine cups. They are marked off in 1 cc graduations and I use the 3:1 by volume scale instead of weight. It has always worked just fine for the small quantities I've mixed and there is no messing with a scale. I could be wrong, but I think "close" is good enough for epoxy and being a little off has little to no affect on the epoxy.

Back