Hey - is that a ROCKET?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
There's a lot of discussion on here about the heart-wrenching moment your rocket flies or drifts out of sight, leaving you holding the controller dejectedly or breaking off a flat-out retrieval run. But I was thinking about the other side of those stories. Has anyone ever been involved in some outdoor activity other than launching (driving to work, attending a picnic, etc.) and witnessed a lost rocket touch down?

No, but I have dreamed about it...

Actually, wait. No, I did. Driving back from church one time about 5 years ago, I watched a mini model rocket hit the road. Picked it up, and it got thrown out after about a week. Never knew what it was.

Few years ago, watching daughter's soccer game. Out of no where, a small LPR rocket came drifting down under chute. I picked it up from the edge of the field and looked around. No one to be seen.
Some 15 - 20 minutes later a couple of kids came searching and I gave it to them.

Not surprising to me, but something not seen much around here outside of club launches. I thought it was cool.
Of course you had some grumbling from the soccer moms. Typical.

This goes back quite some time but had one actually land in our back yard! Right in middle of town, no idea where it came from - it was a small plastic V2.

No, but I have dreamed about it...

Actually, wait. No, I did. Driving back from church one time about 5 years ago, I watched a mini model rocket hit the road. Picked it up, and it got thrown out after about a week. Never knew what it was.

You did'nt recognize that it was a Model Rocket???? I'm confused.:confused:
It's also funny that some poor Stooge probably was coming to retrieve it, and you just snatched it up, took it home and threw it in the Trash.:lol:

This goes back quite some time but had one actually land in our back yard! Right in middle of town, no idea where it came from - it was a small plastic V2.

Like a Micro-Maxx Plastic Brick Rocket? It probably came from Next-Door over.

Not quite the same thing, but I was in our backyard one afternoon when I heard the unmistakable sound of a model rocket launching. After finishing what we were doing, my wife and I jumped into the car and drove to the nearby schoolyard, but whoever was launching was gone by then.

-- Roger

You did'nt recognize that it was a Model Rocket???? I'm confused.:confused:
It's also funny that some poor Stooge probably was coming to retrieve it, and you just snatched it up, took it home and threw it in the Trash.:lol:

OK, 2 clarifications. I did not exactly watch it hit the road. I saw it laying on the road.

Also, I had no clue what a model rocket was BACK THEN, but now I do. Now I know what it was.

My son was out getting his hair cut on Friday and as he got out of his car, he heard the unmistakable "WOOSH" of a rocket launching. He said that he thought "I remember that sound," and began scanning the skies looking for the inevitable chute. He never saw anything, and according to him, it's not really a very good place to launch, being right in the middle of town and surrounded by strip malls.

Back