Are You an Android User?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beans

Founder, Jolly Logic
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy.
If you carry (or, I suppose, would carry) an Android mobile device (phone or tablet) to the launch field, can you please sound off and tell me what version of Android you are actually running on it right now?

Our Apple beta testing for AltimeterThree is going on right now, and we're about to start the Android beta testing. As many of you are aware, most Apple users can keep their phones updated with the latest major version of iOS (currently 7), while most Android users cannot (partly because many phone carriers tightly control the version for customer support reasons).

I want to make sure that AltimeterThree works for most of you out there, so please chime in. In case you're interested, rocketeers seem pretty evenly split between iOS and Android.

Thanks!

How To
On your Android device, got to Settings >> About.
[For instance, my Nexus 7 tablet shows Android version 4.4.2.]

Droid RAZR MAXX HD

I just updated to 4.4 or aka: Kit-Kat in May.
I highly recommend everyone else that can, do so right away!
There is a vulnerability that allows malware to act like a real app
Android will perceive it as a regular app.

My phone was hijacked by some *$#)&@#,)♠♦ back in March. :(

The phone was rendered useless, I had to change all of my passwords!

JD

Last edited:
I just updated to 4.4 or aka: Kit-Kat in May.
I highly recommend everyone else that can, do so right away!
There is a vulnerability that allows malware to act like a real app
Android will perceive it as a regular app.

My phone was hijacked by some *$#)&@#,)♠♦ back in March. :(

The phone was rendered useless, I had to change all of my passwords!

JD

All mobile operating systems are cheesecloth when it comes to security.

Yes, using 4.4.2 here. as well. I'm sure you've seen this Android version. Try using ActionBarSherlock if you want to have the ICS look on Gingerbread devices.

HTC one M8 running4.4.4 kit Kat with HTC sense and webroot

Secondary question: if you have EARLIER THAN 4.2 (like terryg or MWC), could you also indicate whether or not you COULD upgrade if you needed to?

I realize what a huge hassle it can be to upgrade (as already mentioned), and in fact I think in some cases it might not be possible (or advisable). But if you have anything you can add, such as "I am running on 4.1.2 on my S3. I *could* upgrade, but I won't." Or, "I have 4.1.2 right now, I'm locked in, but I'm about to get my upgrade phone this year."

Some of you may be wondering what this affects. In general, it's not too big of a deal to compile back to 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich). But there are some features (such as Google Maps) that lately require features introduced in 4.2 or higher. Example below. Bonus points if you recognize the venue...

A3Map.jpg

ZTE 665, Android 4.1.1.

I have not seen any OS updates for this model. My carrier doesn't have any models with more recent versions of Android (right now). I am not locked into a contract but I can only use phones made specifically for this carrier.

I am on the latest version that be downloaded and installed on my phone. There appear to be custom roms that people have hacked to get to a later version. I am not sure it would be worth the risk to install them.

Back