Motor Retention

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepe

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Custom Rockets but even I can see that their metal engine clip is of inferior quality. I know I could replace it withe a similar Estes clip but would like to do something even better.Does anyone know of any other options for a BT-50 tube? Thanks

Thanks for the info .I didn't see it on first glance I'll check again though

Now I see them .I see three options there which one would you recommend? I don't see any difference in them so I must be missing something

Already ordered thanks. Any guess how high a Custom Rockets Redliner will go on a D12-7? Hope I'm not building a God-rocket

Do I REALLY have to say it?? Masking tape, friction fit. We don't need no stinking retainers!!!!

Already ordered thanks. Any guess how high a Custom Rockets Redliner will go on a D12-7? Hope I'm not building a God-rocket

Couple of things. Estes makes a much cheaper plastic threaded nut/collar retainer. I think it's $8ish and you get 2.

Also, with BP and some APCP motors, you will need to create a shoulder on the rear end of the motor body for Aeropack, Estes, or any other nut/collar retainer to work.

you can make your own screw-on 18mm motor retainer from 2 liter plastic soda bottles. Someone said in another thread I haven't been able to track down that there is a smaller bottle that will fit 13mm motors as well. I've used G2 gatoraid bottles on 29mm motor tubes.

To bend your own spring type "estes" 1/4A-E motor clips you can use the TWO 3/32" wide Stainless Steel bars (one of each side) of your worn out Windshield wiper blades. You'll get 4 from each pair of wipers you take apart... IT's VERY EASY!

I been using just a little bit of tape and I only put from top to bottom on one side, so far is been enough to keep the engine in place and easy to take it out after a flight. I tested the method using rockets from A to D engine and it worked like a charm. But anyway that beein said I want to buy some of the Aero pack retainers it looks so awesome !!!

Frankly, in 40 years of rocketry (OK, I did take 20 off in the middle), I have rarely if ever had any problems using 'old-school' Estes-style motor hooks on motors up to E's.

(Uncle Mike has them: https://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Motor_Mounts_Accs/Cygnus_LPR_MM_Gateway.html )

Usually I reinforce the head-end of the motor clip by gluing a motor block into the tube just above it, so the main brunt of the thrust force is transmitted to the airframe through the motor block and not through the 1/8" wide end of the motor clip inserted into the motor mount tube.

On the bottom end of the motor mount, I usually build the mount so the motor protrudes 1/4" or 1/2" from the bottom of the mount tube.

When the motor is inserted in the rocket, I snap the clip 'shut' over the end of the motor, then I usually wrap one turn of masking tape around the outside of the clip (in effect, taping the clip to the outside of the motor).

This combo has worked very well for me over the years; I have rarely had any problems with motor clips pulling out or working loose.

I suspect the new screw-on external retainers work fine, especially on higher-power rockets.

24mm, I'd probably just friction-fit it with a smidge of masking tape.

Later!

--Coop

I'm quickly becoming a big Fan of Friction Fit and Tape myself, as it keeps the Weight down in the Tail.
I had seen a bunch of Sodmiesters Builds without Retainers, and thought it odd at the Time, but now as I become a better Builder I see why that makes so much more sense, especially when you are adding weight in Details and Doo-hickys.

As an alternative to friction fit (or as an addition if you like), wrap a piece of tape around the motor and motor tube. You're effectively taping the motor into place. I've found this to be very reliable, and a lot easier to extract the used motor afterwards! Of course, it only works if there's some exposed motor tube onto which the tape can bind. This is not a problem on a minimum diameter rocket. :)

As an alternative to friction fit (or as an addition if you like), wrap a piece of tape around the motor and motor tube. You're effectively taping the motor into place. I've found this to be very reliable, and a lot easier to extract the used motor afterwards! Of course, it only works if there's some exposed motor tube onto which the tape can bind. This is not a problem on a minimum diameter rocket. :)

That's what I do so that I don't have to use too much force to insert or remove the Motor. I use Aluminum Foil Tape on the outside of the Motor Tube so that the Tape comes off easily and won't peel anything.
To clarify, the Aluminum Tape is permanent, to hold the Motor I just use Duct Tape.

I'm going to launch her within the Hour so I got her ready.

Just came back from the Field, where it was TOO WINDY to fly.:mad:

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Custom Rockets but even I can see that their metal engine clip is of inferior quality. I know I could replace it withe a similar Estes clip but would like to do something even better.Does anyone know of any other options for a BT-50 tube? Thanks
I tossed the hook for my Custom Rockets Razor, in fact I tossed the whole engine mount, and simply friction fit a D12-7 in it. It did need a wee bit of nose weight, but I've flown and recovered it 3 times so far. It sure gets up there!

Back