Big Bertha with interchangeable motor mount/baffle combo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
So I started building my big Bertha, I had seen others build it with an interchangeable motor mount system and I wanted to do that as well. Planning on building a 24mm, 3x18mm mount, and a 2x18mm mount. I'm using a 2 56 all thread rod mounted in a plywood centering ring as my base idea (that I got here doug79.com/BT60mms). I also use baffles in my larger rockets frequently so that got the wheels turning...
I started looking around for different baffle designs that I could incorporate into my motor mount system. Found an old Apogee Newsletter concerning baffle designs Apogee Newsletter 129 and found one I thought I could use.

So this is what I came up with...
Using two centering rings, with a section of 24mm tubing mounted inside of the rings. The 2 56 all thread would run between the two rings and down the rest of the air frame. The 24mm tubing will act as a baffle, it has small holes drilled at the top of the tube, and the top of the tube will be plugged. The inside of the tube will get a thin coat of epoxy near the top and around the holes to protect from ejection charge gasses. This will combine the interchangeable motor mount with a baffle system and give a solid mount for recovery system.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
What is the purpose of the all thread in your model ?

I have built a couple models with a removable motor mount.
The 3 fins are mounted with thru the wall construction.
The centering rings have notches on the outer edge 120 degrees apart.
The rings are bonded to the motor tube such that the notches on the forward ring do NOT line up with the rear ring.
The motor mount can then be inserted in the model and the the notches rotated to lock the rings against the fin tabs.
The motor mount is thus removable. Ed Lacroix of the original incarnation of Apogee Components used to call it a "bayonet mount".

What is the purpose of the all thread in your model ?
The mounts will slide onto the all thread through the centering rings of the mount and then have a nut on the end to retain the mount.
Do you have any pictures? I'm having a hard time imagining the bayonet mount..

The airframes are in storage (read-buried in 40 cubic feet of crawl space).
Here is one of the motor mounts and an illustration of the method. It is for 29mm motors.

Back