XPRS '14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave carver

....what hump?
Reaction score
Anything happening on this, yet? I am planning to attend when I know the particulars.

Happening? Its scheduled on the Aeropac site. I'll be there.

Best of luck to Manny, Alex and, Joel on the trip and, safe flights! :D

"Scuse me *THUMP* while i kiss the sky......"

Here's my 3 inch rocket I'm bringing to XPRS. Planning to launch on an M685W, and hit about 40k ft. Really I'm just hoping to get it back.

First time to the playa, coming from the east coast, I felt I needed to max out the altitude a little.

75mm fin can parts.jpg

Here's my 3 inch rocket I'm bringing to XPRS. Planning to launch on an M685W, and hit about 40k ft. Really I'm just hoping to get it back.

First time to the playa, coming from the east coast, I felt I needed to max out the altitude a little.

View attachment 183504

Cool rocket Mark! What are you using for tracking? I am sure you'll get it back between the infinite recovery area and the recovery expertise of the Aeropac Group (cough, Tony). The first time I laid eyes on the playa after flying at METRA and MDRA I figured it would be impossible to lose a rocket with so much recovery space.

Where on the East Coast are you from?

Thanks. Really the rocket is just RocketryWarehouse FG tubes and nose cone and a CF fin can, nothing too special. The M685 won't push it too hard so I'm not expecting a shred or anything.

I recently picked up a 100 mW Beeline GPS for tracking. I've tested it out and sent Greg a bunch of emails, but tracking a rocket 8 miles up will be new to me.

I live in Maryland and fly with MDRA and I've also been to Potter a couple times.

Thanks. Really the rocket is just RocketryWarehouse FG tubes and nose cone and a CF fin can, nothing too special. The M685 won't push it too hard so I'm not expecting a shred or anything.

I recently picked up a 100 mW Beeline GPS for tracking. I've tested it out and sent Greg a bunch of emails, but tracking a rocket 8 miles up will be new to me.

I live in Maryland and fly with MDRA and I've also been to Potter a couple times.

Yeah, the M685W boost is nice and gentle. You won't shred with that fin can...
Greg at BigRedBee is from right here in Oregon and is a member of our club. (Actually he might be going to XPRS??) Anyways, you'll be in good hands with Beeline GPS. :)

Have fun out there, everyone!

The BRB will get your rocket back! I've flown the unit a few times on the playa with great results. I'll have my tracking setup, I can track alongside if you want.

I flew with MDRA for years before I moved to west, I look forward to meeting you on the playa.

Cool. I'll be the one that looks like he's working out of the back of a rental car. I'll probably be wearing a black Ravens cap. I get into Reno on Thursday around 1:00. Staying at Bruno's. Should be on the playa Friday.

I've got my Baofeng radio working connected to a laptop decoding the APRS packets. Greg (BRB) offered to let me use his radio to track though. But the more tracking the better.

The BRB will get your rocket back! I've flown the unit a few times on the playa with great results. I'll have my tracking setup, I can track alongside if you want.

I flew with MDRA for years before I moved to west, I look forward to meeting you on the playa.

I'll be at XPRS. I'll be flying a couple of "AeroPac Sport Fliers. A 75mm and 98mm. If they hold together they should go to about 28 and 32K.

I was out looking for a rocket one time and found Butalane and his truck lake staked out on the edge of the playa.

Tony

Last edited:
I'll be there...flying an H45 in a minimum diameter low-tech junk rock . My first H45and I've been into HPR for 20+ years!!!

I'll be there...flying an H45 in a minimum diameter low-tech junk rock . My first H45and I've been into HPR for 20+ years!!!

The H45's are so cool. It was 20+ years for me to. Right when you think the motor should quit it just keeps going. Awesome.

Are you just using tape to hold the DMS motor in or have you done something creative?

I call my low-tech stuff 'expendable' or 'boiler plate' rockets..

Kenny

Good...windy for about and hour Saturday Afternoon. I've been mentoring a 17 year old kid, named Jeremy. Our goal was 20K and mach 2 with onboard video. He flew to 21,859 @ mach 2.1. The video is not that good..but still video! I flew a couple rockets. Son of Speedy 3" M2400 to 30K. Landed .6 miles out. I flew Tuff Enough https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?19534-My-next-project on a 4 grain M1600 to 28K. The main came out at Apogee and we end up driving 5 miles and walking the last mile to recover. I had a good time and am making motors today for Balls in a few days.

Tony

I think It's safe to say that I had the last flight of XPRS since they called off the waiver just as I finished prepping. I can't thank Tony enough for re-opening the waiver and allowing me to get the flight off.

Friday I started to feel a little ill after walking around testing out the range of my BRB, and went back to Bruno's and crashed for the evening. I probably did not have enough to drink out in the hot dry desert sun and altitude. Saturday I built the motor and waited for the 30 minute epoxy to cure. Probably could have got it ready later in the day but it was a little windy so I waited for Sunday. I didn't realize Sunday was more like a half day and most people were gone when I got there at 10:30. I had it ready to go around 1:00 or so and thankfully Tony and company were able to get the waiver re-opened. It was totally my fault and I was prepared to leave the built motor with Tony and come back next season some time.

Last edited:
The flight came out of the tower a little squirrelly, or the wind pushed it. Or perhaps it's because moonburners tend to not always fly straight anyway due to the off center mass, and thrust. Anyway it took a big turn to the west and ended up 4 miles out. The altitude was 29,400 per the Raven and 30,990 according to the Beeline GPS. The chute did not inflate and the recovery harness was a tangled mess when I found it. In my haste to get it ready in time I ditched the drogue and and also swapped in a 58 inch parachute for the main instead of a 70 incher because I was having packing difficulties. I wonder if things would have gone better with the drougue. Luckily there was no damage other than the paint. Here are a few pics:
Grains.jpgtower 1.jpgtrajectory 1.jpgStake 1.jpgcore 1.jpgpaint 1.jpgDyno White M685W 91414 XPRS.jpgDyno White M685W 91414 XPRS - 2.jpg

[video=youtube_share;G8BsRfzVyz8]https://youtu.be/G8BsRfzVyz8[/video]

Last edited:
Back